Sanctuary Tipping

Suzanne123

I often book the Sanctuary and like everything else, tip extra if I think they’ve gone above and beyond. 

For instance, a few years ago I took a Panama Canal cruise from LA to FLL on the Island Princess. There were several rainy days. The attendants encouraged the few of us who booked for the cruise to use the cabanas. They brought us beverages, afternoon tea, etc. while we enjoyed the cabana, TV, etc. They had huge golf umbrellas and walked me all the way to the elevator. I tipped extra. 

Having spent full cruises in the Sanctuary we've tipped extra to the two or three or more sanctuary folk who have gone out of their way for us or just knew when I needed more ice or another ice cold towel.

Irina on the Regal was the best head of the Sanctuary ever (understand she's on the Star now) and couldn't do enough for us.

18 minutes ago, Pam in CA said:

I often book the Sanctuary and like everything else, tip extra if I think they’ve gone above and beyond. 

For instance, a few years ago I took a Panama Canal cruise from LA to FLL on the Island Princess. There were several rainy days. The attendants encouraged the few of us who booked for the cruise to use the cabanas. They brought us beverages, afternoon tea, etc. while we enjoyed the cabana, TV, etc. They had huge golf umbrellas and walked me all the way to the elevator. I tipped extra. 

Since 2003, we have ALWAYS tipped extra for several crew staff. we're planning to reserve two loungers in the Sanctuary for our next cruise.  May I get some idea as to how much to tip the Sanctuary staff?  I know everyone is different when it comes to what to put in the "envelope" but, I'd like to get some idea, thanks in advance.

I used the Sanctuary for a single day on our Alaskan cruise this year.  I tipped the server who went down and got me a specialty coffee but we did not tip extra for the lunch buffet and service that is part of the Sanctuary price, nor did we tip at the end of the cruise.

For a 10 day cruise, being in Sanctuary every day, I usually tip $10 to each, usually there are 8 of them helping out, $20 to anyone who has gone way over.  There are always a few of them doing extra.  I know tips are included already, but they do make our cruise for us and feel good about helping someone else, even if it is just enough for them to get a drink or two in port.  On the last day, I don't see many people at all tip the staff honestly and they are the ones who are very demanding of the staff, expecting them to be at their beck and call.  I hope I helped you give an idea of the norm.  I will say the staff is very grateful.  Give from the heart and you never go wrong.

4 hours ago, Pickels said:

Since 2003, we have ALWAYS tipped extra for several crew staff. we're planning to reserve two loungers in the Sanctuary for our next cruise.  May I get some idea as to how much to tip the Sanctuary staff?  I know everyone is different when it comes to what to put in the "envelope" but, I'd like to get some idea, thanks in advance.

I don’t tip a set amount extra. It really depends on the staff. I get the “Soda & More” package on cruises. I’ve had experiences in the Sanctuary where the attendants ignored me for the whole day until tea time and I’ve had to chase them if I wanted a drink refill. And, I’ve had attendants who constantly monitored whether I needed/wanted a refill without bothering me, just bringing it. I like my lounger set up with a pillow, extra towel and depending on the weather, a blanket. Sometimes, I have to make the request every single day, others, my lounger is set up with my preferences when I get there in the morning. 

One of the best Sanctuary staff I’ve had in recent years was on the Ruby over Thanksgiving. I gave a $20 tip at the end even though I’d booked the Sanctuary 3 ½ days and not the whole cruise. They were outstanding. 

We were in Sanctuary on the Regal last month and booked one of the covered areas with the couches and TV (did this mainly because both my husband and I are very fair and need shade).  We tipped those who went above and beyond an extra $25-$30 at the end of the cruise.  They were a wonderful crew on the Regal especially Maiti and Diana. 

• Like 1

On 12/13/2018 at 6:30 AM, Suzanne123 said:

If anyone has booked the Sanctuary for a full cruise (10 days ).  How much did you tip on the last day?

thanks.

I tipped $3 cash per day ($30) .  Used a tip envelope.  Handed to the employee who serviced me day before debark.

But tip whatever you want.

Good luck.

King

• Like 1

I tipped when they brought my daily Diet Coke and every other day when I ordered from the Sanctuary menu.  At the end, I gave an envelope with $50 labeled “Sanctuary Staff” to the guy who seemed to be in charge.  Maybe not enough, or maybe too much.  I don’t know.  I feel OK.