Advantages of a Junior Suite over Balcony Cabin

cjdixon4

On 12/15/2018 at 5:37 PM, Andy C said:

Since you may not be aware here is some useful information.  Royal Suite Class collateral materials do not inform you that Pinnacles have access to Coastal Kitchen.  The big perk on Oasis class for Junior Suites (other than the nice cabin, priority embarkation and double points) is dinner in CK.  If there are many pinnacles on your sailing your ability to have dinner in CK will be severely limited and as others have reported here maybe even zero chance of securing a table in CK.  

I honestly think reservations in CK is not a problem if you like to dining later in the evening.  On the Allure in October  I had no problem getting a table every night around 8:00 pm  (with or without a reservation).   I was in a full suite but CK was not busy during this time. There were 55 Pinnacles on the sailing. 

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

Do you think you get the better room stewards in a JS?  Seems like every time we upgrade from our usual balcony we have better service in our room... they always remember to bring us ice, printed schedules, more towel changes, etc...

You also get twice a day cabin service in a JS and the "standard" gratuities are at the lower rate rather than the "suite" rate.

We did 21 nights in a JS on Anthem last year and it was the first time in a JS for many years.

Very impressed with the 1+1/2 bathroom layout, which we found very convenient. on older ships it is just the single bathroom with a large walk-in (sort of) closet.

The bed was hard and a noticeable downgrade from the full suite bedding, but the stewards placed a "topper" on the mattress which improved the comfort considerably. 

The only other criticism was the sofa. It was also very "firm" and likely to break your hip should you be lulled into thinking otherwise. 

We found the CK crew wonderful and had no trouble securing a table for dinner every evening. 

Posted (edited)
On 12/15/2018 at 6:55 PM, Grandma Dazzles said:

... Wish RC would give these cabins a different name as they don’t get true suite benefits. 

Agree, given that they aren't really suites at all.  A suite is a series of connected rooms.  Royal, like many other vacation venues, uses the term incorrectly to refer to a larger or more luxurious room.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury

8 hours ago, Jetdriver787 said:

You also get twice a day cabin service in a JS and the "standard" gratuities are at the lower rate rather than the "suite" rate.

We did 21 nights in a JS on Anthem last year and it was the first time in a JS for many years.

Very impressed with the 1+1/2 bathroom layout, which we found very convenient. on older ships it is just the single bathroom with a large walk-in (sort of) closet.

The bed was hard and a noticeable downgrade from the full suite bedding, but the stewards placed a "topper" on the mattress which improved the comfort considerably. 

The only other criticism was the sofa. It was also very "firm" and likely to break your hip should you be lulled into thinking otherwise. 

We found the CK crew wonderful and had no trouble securing a table for dinner every evening. 

How did you go about getting reservations at CK, i heard JS only gets them if there is room left over, Did you have a problem with that? 

On my most recent trip on Harmony we were in a JS. I was allowed to make one reservation at a time in Coastal Kitchen and then I could try to make another one once the meal was finished.

The other benefits of the JS were nice in terms of larger room, Lavazza coffee maker, and huge closet. It's a lot of money for those things but my wife thought it was worth it.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, jfio1021 said:

How did you go about getting reservations at CK, i heard JS only gets them if there is room left over, Did you have a problem with that? 

We have a JS on Odyssey this week. We purchased a 3 night dining plan, made those reservations upon boarding and then went to CK and made dinner reservations for the remaining 5 nights, no problems at all. 
We prefer to eat early so that may have helped our cause, I can’t say. 

Edited by not-enough-cruising
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

We have a JS on Odyssey this week. We purchased a 3 night dining plan, made those reservations upon boarding and then went to CK and made dinner reservations for the remaining 5 nights, no problems at all. 
We prefer to eat early so that may have helped our cause, I can’t say. 

Just quoting this as it's 100% on how we done the Anthem class as well.  Including eating early.  

So more than one of us has had it work multiple times.  And planning on doing the same thing on Odyssey later this year.  

• Like 2

18 hours ago, jfio1021 said:

No, we had no problem at all and ate there for 16 of the 21 nights. The ship was full on both cruises (7 nights and 14 nights!) 

OK, I have on my most protective jacket--because I expect to be flamed.  

We are in a spacious balcony JS on Anthem of the seas.  Our DD is sailing with us in the solo cabin.  It is part of a two room set up on a hallway. [8630 and 8632]

We have never been on a ship with CK when we had any type of suite. [ We would like to try it --but, would only do it is adult DD could be included]  What do you think are the chances we can get one dinner in CK to include DD?  DH's b-day is one of the days.  That would be my first choice or the first night which is always a train wreck. OK flame away!

3 hours ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

We are in a spacious balcony JS on Anthem of the seas.  Our DD is sailing with us in the solo cabin.  It is part of a two room set up on a hallway. [8630 and 8632]

We have never been on a ship with CK when we had any type of suite. [ We would like to try it --but, would only do it is adult DD could be included]  What do you think are the chances we can get one dinner in CK to include DD?  DH's b-day is one of the days.  That would be my first choice or the first night which is always a train wreck. OK flame away!

I'm sure they will do it for you.  Especially if you eat early. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

My understanding is that if she doesn't have suite privileges then they will say no.   We did two weeks on Wonder in Jan and never even tried to get into CK.  We ate there one time on Oasis a few years ago. We only book JS, regardless of ship size or amenities.  We love the space.

6 hours ago, BND said:

My understanding is that if she doesn't have suite privileges then they will say no.   We did two weeks on Wonder in Jan and never even tried to get into CK.  We ate there one time on Oasis a few years ago. We only book JS, regardless of ship size or amenities.  We love the space.

We occasionally book a JS.  It depends on the itinerary, ship and price.  We booked this one for the unique set up with the solo cabin and JS with the small-internal hallway and the large balcony.  We have not sailed this class of ship--but, it seems like a small apartment. So, eating in CK did not enter into the reasoning for booking a JS. 

But, I am curious.  Since JS are allowed in CK on a space available basis for dinner, is there a reason you did not even check into it.   . . . I wondered if you felt it was not a great experience when you tried it.

10 minutes ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

We occasionally book a JS.  It depends on the itinerary, ship and price.  We booked this one for the unique set up with the solo cabin and JS with the small-internal hallway and the large balcony.  We have not sailed this class of ship--but, it seems like a small apartment. So, eating in CK did not enter into the reasoning for booking a JS. 

But, I am curious.  Since JS are allowed in CK on a space available basis for dinner, is there a reason you did not even check into it.   . . . I wondered if you felt it was not a great experience when you tried it.

We just kept putting off going up to get a reservation. We're back onboard Wonder  in Nov in a JS for another b2b so we'll make a point to go.  We have friends going on the cruise also who are Pinnacle so hoping we can all eat together there.  

• Thanks 1