Going from Refundable to Non-refundable fare

dianajo67

I’m looking at booking a Med Cruise for fall 2020.  Since it’s so far out, I’m planning to book it refundable.  I’ve seen posts where people say they have converted later to a non-refundable fare to save money or get perks.  My question is....are there any issues or limitations to doing this?   Can I just call RCI or my TA and request the change when the cruise is closer?  Just looking for a little bit of “how to” on this.

Just now, dianajo67 said:

I’m looking at booking a Med Cruise for fall 2020.  Since it’s so far out, I’m planning to book it refundable.  I’ve seen posts where people say they have converted later to a non-refundable fare to save money or get perks.  My question is....are there any issues or limitations to doing this?   Can I just call RCI or my TA and request the change when the cruise is closer?  Just looking for a little bit of “how to” on this.

Just call whomever booked your cruise.  Understand that both refundable and non refundable rates may rise over time and you may find that the Non refundable rate is more than what you paid. 

8 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Just call whomever booked your cruise.  Understand that both refundable and non refundable rates may rise over time and you may find that the Non refundable rate is more than what you paid. 

Which is exactly what has happened with all the cruises I have booked

9 hours ago, dianajo67 said:

I converted and got a much lower price and a $100 in obc's when RCL was running this promo.

Edited by nelblu

We make the switch from non-refundable to refundable when we book our flights.  But of course, only if non-refundable is cheaper.  Worked in our favor for past 2 cruises.  No issues or limitations.  For our August cruise on Navigator, prices shot up (once they announced refurbishment plans) and so far we're better sticking with refundable rate.

Edited by LuCruise

3 minutes ago, ilovetotravel1977 said:

When I am on the Canada site, I don't see the refundable/non-refundable options.  Is that only offered in the US?

You have to go through almost the entire booking process before you will see the option to make the deposit refundable.

9 minutes ago, dianajo67 said:

Thank you for the responses.  I’m going through itineraries now.  It’s about a $500 increase to cabin cost to do refundable.  I’m debating with myself.

Find yourself a good TA with access to group space.  Rates are most likely lower than the non refundable and as part of the group your deposit is fully refundable.