Soon to be first timer - Several specific Qs, TIA!

TrinaLC

Looking to book our first Celebrity cruise, an Asia trip.  Regular on MSC Yacht Club, also all the other usual suspects.  And the SS France (twice!).

Looking at Concierge class.  I am sensing that the concierge service is pretty much early access, early departure, front of line at tenders, but not much else.  Is that correct?

Classic beverage is included in our fare - DH would prefer what would probably be called a generous pour of scotch rather than several small ones.  Do they measure out the pours?  Can he order a generous double?  On MSC, we brought our own Teva (nice, insulated) glasses and they gave a nice pour, no measuring.  What is he we likely to find?

Bottle delivered to the room is seriously a $100 set up?  You can't just get a bottle for, say, $60 or $80?  Depending on the answer to the previous question, may not matter, but ...

Excited to try Celebrity!

He can order doubles, or triples I expect. We've only been on two different X ships, but I saw measured pours, with over pours on both ships. You can only get a bottle in the cabin for what is shown on the web site. I always take a covered plastic container for dumping extra drinks in during the day to keep in the fridge and then enjoy in the cabin at night.

There is not a lot over and above in concierge class on Celebrity.  I would go one step up and go for aqua class if the pricing was right.  You get a bit more bang for your buck that way.  If a suite is in your travel budget, I'd go the two steps up and book one of those cabins.  

The classic package is decent but if you like top shelf liquors, you might be better off upgrading to the premium package.  I've found the wines in the premium package are where you will do your best with the upgrade.  For liquor and mixed drinks, if a double doesn't fit into your package, never fear, you can order another when your glass is empty.  

Not sure why you'd want to order a bar set up if you have the beverage package, though ... maybe it's for the convenience of having drinks in your room??  

1 hour ago, TrinaLC said:

Looking to book our first Celebrity cruise, an Asia trip.  Regular on MSC Yacht Club, also all the other usual suspects.  And the SS France (twice!).

Looking at Concierge class.  I am sensing that the concierge service is pretty much early access, early departure, front of line at tenders, but not much else.  Is that correct?

Classic beverage is included in our fare - DH would prefer what would probably be called a generous pour of scotch rather than several small ones.  Do they measure out the pours?  Can he order a generous double?  On MSC, we brought our own Teva (nice, insulated) glasses and they gave a nice pour, no measuring.  What is he we likely to find?

Bottle delivered to the room is seriously a $100 set up?  You can't just get a bottle for, say, $60 or $80?  Depending on the answer to the previous question, may not matter, but ...

Excited to try Celebrity!

There is no early access or departure as such in Concierge.  Basically when you get to the terminal, Concierge has a separate line but so do a lot of others.  Sometimes the regular cabins lines are shorter.  Disembarkation will have you probably in a specialty restaurant and you will be told when you can leave.  Not sure its any time saver.  

You can't bring bottles on board at either embarkation or at ports except two bottles of wine at embarkation only. 

My experience with pours is that if you want a larger pour the chances are you will have to pay extra.  Might want to think of upgrading to Premium and just ask for doubles.   

Edited by dkjretired

Ive never seen a bartender on X use a jigger, but a properly trained bartender shouldn't need one. Pros count seconds to measure the pour. 

Concierge doesnt get you much besides canapés in the afternoon and extra club points per night. If Aqua is prices competitively book that instead, at least you get Blu. 

I would recommend upgrading to Premium beverage if your husband is a scotch drinker, Classic will get you a blend like Johnnie Red label or Dewars, Premium will add single malts like Glenfiddich, Chivas, Laphroaig....

14 hours ago, justcrusn said:

On our last cruise, I ordered a scotch and several times was asked if I wanted a double. The bartender explained “its still one drink”

Not sure how that works without a package though, but with premium it was sweet.

Good recommendation to upgrade to Premium for the Scotch drinker.  From my experience the pours are usually generous and I have been asked if I want a double.  It may depend on the price point?

I suggest that you should not be concerned about that part of your cruise experience.  

Enjoy your first Celebrity Cruise.

P.S.  You might want to do a little more research on the different levels of cabins.  Conceirge Class May not be worth the extra expense for you. 

DH never has a problem getting 2 fingers neat... and the premium package does the trick for better brands

With a bev package there is no real reason for a bar set up in a CC or Aqua room... as you can swing by the bar to get drinks to take to your room while dressing for cocktail hr/dinner

CC and AQ are not like YC on MSC.  You would be better suited to do a suite