Celebrity Summit dry dock itinerary change

PTKeil

So we were scheduled to book on our first Celebrity cruise 3/23/19. It included "free" gratuities, classic drink package, and $400 shipboard credit. 

Our original itinerary that was booked as our paperwork states was as follows:

San Juan

St. Thomas

St. Kitts

St. Johns,

St. Lucia

Barbados

Sea

San Juan

Weeks later we received notice that our cruise on 3/23 was cancelled due to dry dock extension, but we could book a week later for the same price and deal, with a bonus of $100 more shipboard credit for our inconvenience. There was no mention of any itinerary change from either Celebrity or our booking company at any time. It was proposed as merely a week's time change as a service to us.

I am now starting to book excursions and realized that our new itinerary the week later of 3/30 is distinctly different from what we booked for 3/23, and it seems exceedingly lower quality. Please tell me otherwise if I am incorrect:

San Juan

St. Croix

St. Marteen

Roseau Dominica

Barbados

St. George

Sea

San Juan

I am absolutely disappointed in the customer service and communication with both Celebrity and our cruise company in that at no time was an itinerary change ever mentioned when they offered to rebook for the following week. 

We have been on the Summit 4 times and have done both itineraries and they are both fantastic. I have been to pretty much all the islands in the Carribean and think you will love this cruise. But, it is completely up to you! It’s a shame your itinerary has changed but I think you may be ok with the new Islands. 

• Like 1

We did the Summit out of San Juan a couple years ago and actually did it as a b2b because alternating weeks were different ports other than a repeat of St.Thomas on both cruises.  I'm thinking that once you do a bit of research on options for the new ports you'll find that they all offer enjoyable opportunities, depending of course on what you like to do.  

Another option, if you're not past final payment, is to book the cruise after the 30th, which should be the same itinerary as what you originally had.  Perhaps if you call Captain's Club and see if they'll do the switch for you keeping your original perks?

Good luck and try to enjoy the new ports...personally, we loved Dominica and did a great snorkelling tour there!

• Like 1

They should have mentioned it when you were offered the change, but Summit has traditionally had 2 itineraries that alternate, so if you move one week later you always change itineraries.  This is also true of the Florida-based cruises that alternate eastern and western Caribbean.  When they cancelled this one cruise, they would have had to change the itineraries of the entire season to preserve the ports you had.

• Like 1

OP - Why do you consider the "new" itinerary to be "exceeding lower quality"?  

Having been to all the islands on both itineraries, I also prefer the "new" one.

Tell us what you like to do.  There's a lot of info here, and you are going to some lovely islands!!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, PTKeil said:

I am now starting to book excursions and realized that our new itinerary the week later of 3/30 is distinctly different from what we booked for 3/23, and it seems exceedingly lower quality. Please tell me otherwise if I am incorrect...

I honestly feel that your saying "exceedingly lower quality" is totally incorrect. Of course, it depends on what are you personally would like to do while on Caribbean islands, but I was on all of the islands in both itineraries and vouch for a second in a heartbeat - Grenada and Dominica are great beach/snorkeling places, certainly more rugged than your St Thomas, but if you find a right spot you'd enjoy both islands a lot...

The new(er) itinerary is a good balance of swim-snorkel-beach experience and shopping meccas, so I honestly do not get it why did you call it as exceedingly lower quality. Today's Caribbean cruising is fixed to the point that it is hard to see the difference between the islands, with rare exceptions...

Hope you do not cancel 🙂

• Like 1

18 hours ago, PTKeil said:

So we were scheduled to book on our first Celebrity cruise 3/23/19. It included "free" gratuities, classic drink package, and $400 shipboard credit. 

Our original itinerary that was booked as our paperwork states was as follows:

San Juan

St. Thomas

St. Kitts

St. Johns,

St. Lucia

Barbados

Sea

San Juan

Weeks later we received notice that our cruise on 3/23 was cancelled due to dry dock extension, but we could book a week later for the same price and deal, with a bonus of $100 more shipboard credit for our inconvenience. There was no mention of any itinerary change from either Celebrity or our booking company at any time. It was proposed as merely a week's time change as a service to us.

I am now starting to book excursions and realized that our new itinerary the week later of 3/30 is distinctly different from what we booked for 3/23, and it seems exceedingly lower quality. Please tell me otherwise if I am incorrect:

San Juan

St. Croix

St. Marteen

Roseau Dominica

Barbados

St. George

Sea

San Juan

I am absolutely disappointed in the customer service and communication with both Celebrity and our cruise company in that at no time was an itinerary change ever mentioned when they offered to rebook for the following week. 

I understand your disappointment as you probably booked that specific sail date (23 March) for that specific itinerary.

• Like 1

We have done both of those itineraries a number of times. There is so much to do in port of the "new " one.

St Croix.. beautiful beaches or take trip over to Christensted.

St Marteen ...Take ferry over to shopping area( it's like Rodeo Dr ) lots of great shops. Catch a cab to Moho Beach to see the planes take-off/ land. stay in town, $25 gets you two chairs, beach umbrella and bucket of beers on the beach

Dominica..must do is to go to Emerald Pool.. It's our favorite !! Also Tarfalgar Falls and Ti Tou Gorge(Where the 2nd Pirates of the Caribbean was filmed) 

Barbardos...Spend the day exploring the island. Barbados Flower ,Forest,Cherry tree Hill and Bathsheba Beach

Grenada...Shop in town the local markets or spend the day at the beach via the party boat.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for your great input and suggestions! Although I am very disappointed at the change and the fact that we were not informed of the fact in rescheduling, you have made me very excited about the different ports! 

We've done both itineraries as well and continue to return. 

I'm sorry you feel disappointed but you have a wonderful itinerary. If you like beach days you are in for a treat. If you like scenic excursions you will be amazed at the varieties available.  If you want to shop you still have St. Maarten.

Changes are not always welcomed but you have an opportunity to experience the Caribbean on a newly refurbished ship.

And just as an fyi, we are sailing on the Summit next week and LAST Tuesday just had a total flip of the ports. At first I was unhappy too until I realized that we were trading very crowded ports for smaller cruise passenger loads. That's a real plus.

Please  have a wonderful cruise....and you will.