Avalon

pdh

Hi Texasmomoftwo.

Yes, the tours listed under the main part of the cruise are included.  The classic is the one that will have the different levels - regular, and slow walker.  The active & adventure will be much faster paced, but they will do their best to accommodate those who have trouble keeping up.  Just keep in mind, if you do sign up for them, it will be mostly fast paced.  We had biking tours on our Rhine cruise, and they biked from Amsterdam to an area where we picked them up along the canal.  I think they were biking for a couple of hours, not sure how long or often they stopped for breaks.  On our next cruise, the adventure one will be a hike up a steep hill to see a castle.  

You can either sign up for the tours ahead of the time, or discuss with the Cruise Director once on board as to how adventurous they are.  If they are included, you usually don't have to sign up, unless they conflict with another tour.  It's mostly so they know how many people are interested so they know if it's worth it to get the bikes or a guide to run the tour.  If only one person signs up ahead, then they may decide not to go ahead with it.  

The included tours are usually in the morning, leaving the optional tours for the afternoon.

Daisi,

Thanks for your suggestions on river cruising 'does & don'ts'. Assuming that the cruise will have the same tours available as this year's we will probably repeat our bundle again.  Out of 12 of the days that one can do tours we will use included tours on 6 days, 3 days we will do optional tours and 3 days will mostly likely be DIY.  The one tour that is included has been on my bucket list for years - Normandy Beaches.

Shipboard entertainment is not a significant draw for us.  Both of us are early risers and typically in bed by 9:30.  Since, as you've said, dinner ends about 9 we will most likely be strolling the main deck as you do and heading down to our  suite.

As far as the "Before & After" we have never used the cruise lines offerings.  They do put you in very nice places but at an exorbitant cost.  This trip we are staying in an apartment looking over the Seine & Notre Dame Cathedral.  At the end of a long vacation we are both ready to go home.

Diane & I are very anxious to enjoy a river cruise and we hope that we can keep away from comparing apples to oranges (river vs ocean cruises)

k

• Like 1

Just a warning before you go out on a DIY tour.  Make sure you know where and when to meet the ship, and that you have contact with the CD in case there is a change.  Sometimes they will drop people off to tour, and sail along the river and pick them up later.  Also, sometimes, if there is water problems, they wait until the last minute to let people tour, so sometimes have had to call you back suddenly.  You don't want to be left behind!

Also, if you are booking tours for your DIY, make them the day before, as you won't know docking times or departure until the night before...makes for less headaches that way.  🙂

• Like 2

Hi Playtennis we did the Paris to Normandy river cruise with Avalon a few years ago. It was our first river cruise and it was marvelous from start to finish! The trip to the Normandy Beaches was incredibly moving. I think you and Diane will enjoy yourselves immensely! We also did the Romantic Rhine a few years ago in October and last December a Christmas market cruise- both fantastic! We are booked for a different Christmas market cruise for December 2021.

Enjoy J&K

On 7/29/2020 at 4:09 PM, Playtennis said:

Out of 12 of the days that one can do tours we will use included tours on 6 days, 3 days we will do optional tours and 3 days will mostly likely be DIY.  

The one tour that is included has been on my bucket list for years - Normandy Beaches.

Diane & I are very anxious to enjoy a river cruise and we hope that we can keep away from comparing apples to oranges (river vs ocean cruises)

Hi there -

With a river cruise, it seldom happens that you need to choose between included or optional tours.  It is often set up in such a way that you can do both.  Avalon does a very good job of organizing this.  

We have done both parts of the Grand France itinerary, however we did them separately.  The Normandy Beaches are so worth a visit.  Avalon does offer options - based on your interest/nationality (ie: US citizens visit the US beaches, Canadian/British visit different beaches...).  We had already done the beaches on an earlier cruise, so when we re-sailed the Seine, my DH opted to go back to the beaches - I went to Bayeux to see the tapestry... Just amazing!!

If you have a love affair with chocolate, the Valrhona chocolate factory is a great place to visit when you stop in Tournon.  The outlet is in Tain l-Hermitage --> just across the river from Tournon, and an easy walk to do.  Everyone in my family got chocolate when we returned!!  And, there are LOTS of free samples as you visit the store... Just (perhaps) something to consider.

And, if you have some extra time in Paris, I would suggest going to the Orangerie to see the Monet's canvases of his water lillies...  Really worth a visit - especially if you will also be going to Giverny to see where they were painted.  Also - sort of a fun excursion - going *under* the Eiffel Tower to see how the lifts work.  You also get on top of the restaurant on the 2nd level - so a little different outlook.

Enjoy!!

Fran

Yes, as @franski says, your included tour is usually during the morning, and if there is an optional tour for that day, it will be in the afternoon.  That is how we managed to be out for most of the day.  The days where there are no optional tours, you are probably either sailing, or on a full day included tour.  For those days where you don't want to go on the optional tours, you can usually go into the town where you are docked and wander around.

Thanks to both Fran and Daisi.

This is why CC is always a 'must use' - great info from experienced river-cruisers!

One of the challenges that I have with guided tours with a bunch of people is hearing.  I'm hoping that the tours use audio transmitters with ear pieces for the gang. Otherwise I have to try and be as close as possible to the guide.

• Like 1

This is why CC is always a 'must use' - great info from experienced river-cruisers!
One of the challenges that I have with guided tours with a bunch of people is hearing.  I'm hoping that the tours use audio transmitters with ear pieces for the gang. Otherwise I have to try and be as close as possible to the guide.

All the main river cruise operators use quietvox type systems. You will not have a problem hearing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

4 hours ago, Playtennis said:

Yes, as @gnome12 so rightly states, they all have transmitters.  Each guest is provided with an ear piece, and on Avalon you pick your transmitter up on your way off the ship.  Each transmitter is coded to the tour flag (so you can find your guide, as the transmitters let you hang back and look at things), and pre-programmed to a specific channel for that tour.  We found the only time we had any trouble was when we were in Heidelberg, where we got a bit behind the guide and the stone buildings interfered with reception, however being a block or so away from her we were fine.  It was really the only place where we were walking through narrow streets and around corners...we were so lucky that some members of our group noticed we were missing and had her wait for us to catch up.

14 minutes ago, eguiney said:

Looking into an Avalon cruise.  I see like Viking they offer beer and wine with lunch and dinner.  Do they off a liquor package. I enjoy a scotch or two before and after dinner.

One thing you can do on most river cruise lines is bring on your own booze.  I'm not sure about Avalon, but I'm sure someone will confirm or correct this.

It’s been a few years since my last Avalon’s river cruise but your have a few options. You can bring on your own alcohol to consume in your cabin. Avalon also had a happy hour every night with discounted alcoholic drinks and 2-for-1 specials on the drink of the day. 

No alcohol policy (we sailed 2018), however you do have the 1/2 price happy hour every evening just in time for cruise talk and before dinner.  As Jazz says, you are able to bring onboard your own alcohol for a night cap.  You are also able to "grab a drink to go" at lunch or dinner, as you just request a glass before you leave.  The day we sailed the middle Rhine, we asked for a beer as we were leaving, and enjoyed it while sitting in the front viewing the castles.  That was the only time we did purchase a beer, as it was a bit of a warm day...one wasn't quite enough. 🙂  We also had friends who would request wine & beer to sit in the lounge after dinner to listen to the keyboardist.

Edited by Daisi

On 8/4/2020 at 4:05 PM, eguiney said:

Looking into an Avalon cruise.  I see like Viking they offer beer and wine with lunch and dinner.  Do they off a liquor package. I enjoy a scotch or two before and after dinner.

No liquor package that I am aware of.  But, as others have mentioned, they have a Happy Hour daily - and all drinks are half price (not just the "special of the day" drinks).

You can bring your own bottle of scotch on board - and you are welcome to drink it in your room.  They just ask that you do not consume your own liquor in the lounge, or in any common/public areas.  

I have found that their bar prices are quite competitive.  No sticker shock when we close our account out at the end of the cruise.  Certainly no where near the price we paid for a drink when we did the coast of Norway with Hurtigruten...  Close to $20 for a beer!!  

Fran

There are included options almost daily if not every day. Some days will have all of the 3 options available.  You can choose a classic, which is usually a walking tour, active, which is often biking or hiking, or adventure which might be going down into a mine or cave or food tour.  Those options don't impact the cost of your cruise upfront so they won't impact your deposit.  Some of the daily activity options available will have a fee and they can be reviewed, signed up for and paid from 3 months in advance of your cruise until the day before the activity takes place.  If you look at the previous year descriptions for your cruise you can get a pretty good idea.

• 1 year later...

For those of you who have Avalon experience I have a question for you.

We have booked a 15 day cruise in France with a 2 night stay in Provence and 2 in Nice after the cruise is finished.  Our flight home is after the 4-day stay.

Since we’ve booked this through Avalon will they provide a transfer from the hotel to the airport?

Thank you in advance.

Keith

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Before our travel to France this May I have been tracking what is required for travel because of the viruses.  Here's what I've recently found:

According to the CDC before leaving France for the USA, We are...“REQUIRED -  Before boarding a flight to the United States, you are required to show the following: * a negative COVID-19 test result taken no more than 1 day before travel.”

Is anyone up to date on whether Avalon makes arrangements for us to take the test at the end of our cruise?  (Hopefully they have made or will make arrangements!)  If not, I plan on contacting my travel agent and to find out what’s happening.