Live and life from the Eurodam and her New Year's cruise

Copper10-8

58 minutes ago, faerievert said:

Is this all that’s left of the Eurodam’s formerly-substantial library? Is there a passenger book exchange area? (I’m  happy to leave behind my reading material for others).

Yes, there is a pax book exchange area on the port side of the CN

Everything on those shelves looks big, like coffee table books meant for reading there in the lounge. Is there really no longer a library of regular novels, etc. to check out books for reading elsewhere?  I knew it was getting cut in the dry dock renovations but didn't think it would be disappearing entirely! 💔

8 minutes ago, faerievert said:

Everything on those shelves looks big, like coffee table books meant for reading there in the lounge. Is there really no longer a library of regular novels, etc. to check out books for reading elsewhere?  I knew it was getting cut in the dry dock renovations but didn't think it would be disappearing entirely! 💔

What you see is what you get :classic_wink: The Crow's Nest, besides the combo coffee/alcohol bar, is now primarily geared for travel, EXC as they call it. The books up there have a similar purpose; they are also associated with travel. We found it busy in the CN on our three sea days; lots of folks "hanging out" even saw a guy up there with his laptop and a cup of coffee a la Starbucks. There was a drum set, unused, but I have a feeling it might have been associated with the "Jazzdagen" partial (400 or so members) charter

They also have to stock multiple copies for the franchised "book club" so that takes over a few of the cubby holes. It is pretty grim, and even worse since many activities using microphones now take place in  the same Crows Nest area so this "library" is not even a place for quiet reading .

On the recent  Eurodam I found those huge interactive screen tables with the perch seats hogging a lot of  the "library" space next to EXC shore excursions office to be worse than 100% useless.  

You can scroll your itinerary, and then it brings up a plain vanilla  port map which does not even include where the ship docks and  few to no points of interest. .  When you enlarge the screen to finally read street names, you lose all sense of where you are, particularly since there is no link to where the ship is actually going to be docked marked on the screen map. 

Unless someone can explain what I was doing wrong, this was totally  wasted space , technology and electricity. And yes, two huge screens now block the central Crow's Nest forward view . I  saw one "interactive screen" table had been turned off and used as a puzzle table - score one for low tech amusements. 

Edited by OlsSalt

Day 6 - Friday 04 JAN 19 – Cabo San Lucas, Baja California Sur (con't)

We decided to order in-room dining tonight (Dive-In and the chicken clucks) and watched an interesting Agatha Christie movie by the name of ‘Crooked House’. By 9:00 PM, we made our way to Billboard Onboard on gala night to take in the all request set by Greg and Alissa.

At 10:00 PM, we watched the encore performance of Eurodam’s cast in their second and final show, “Off the Charts.” This is rundown of hits through the decades, from Elvis, the Beatles, Chicago, The Bee Gees, Whitney Houston, Janet Jackson, Eurythmics to Lady Gaga. A high energy show that got the crowd going. Finished off the night with the B.B. King's. We’re heading back to San Diego, so tomorrow (Friday) is our last sea day.

Image may contain: sky, ocean, outdoor and water

Image may contain: ocean, outdoor and water

Image may contain: one or more people, night and indoor

Image may contain: one or more people and indoor

Image may contain: 1 person, indoor

Image may contain: 1 person

Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, on stage

Image may contain: 1 person, on stage, night and concert

Image may contain: 1 person, on stage and playing a musical instrument

Image may contain: 4 people, people smiling, people standing

Image may contain: one or more people and indoor

Image may contain: 7 people, people smiling, people on stage, people standing, night and indoor

59 minutes ago, erewhon said:

Thanks for sharing your photo.

Was that a police dog that lived and worked with you.?   Or your own dog?

The police K-9's name was Wodan and, while I had the privilege of being his handler for five years, he was owned by the city/PD. When he retired after those five years, the city sold him to me for $1 and he became a full-time pet, albeit a well-trained one, until he developed hip dysplasia and we had to put him down, one of the longest drives (to the vet) in my life, Best assignment I've ever had

13 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

The police K-9's name was Wodan and, while I had the privilege of being his handler for five years, he was owned by the city/PD. When he retired after those five years, the city sold him to me for $1 and he became a full-time pet, albeit a well-trained one, until he developed hip dysplasia and we had to put him down, one of the longest drives (to the vet) in my life, Best assignment I've ever had

What a beauty! Glad you got to keep him as a pet!

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Thanks for your reply.

Pleased that you were able to have him as a pet, but very sad to have to have him put down, yes, it would have been a very long sorrowful drive to the vet.

• Thanks 1

On 1/1/2019 at 10:33 AM, Copper10-8 said:

A kinda cheap Canon Powershot ELPH 130 LS. The stateroom shots were from my phone

Copper 10-8,  I am in the market for a nice compact travel camera.  I have a Nikon D-750 SLR, but it is just too big and bulky for shore excursions.   I looked at the Canon ELPH 130 that you use.   My question.... does it have a removable memory card or must you download the pix through a USB cable ?   Also, is the battery removable ?  Is it rechargeable through a USB cable ?   Thanks 

16 minutes ago, TAD2005 said:

Copper 10-8,  I am in the market for a nice compact travel camera.  I have a Nikon D-750 SLR, but it is just too big and bulky for shore excursions.   I looked at the Canon ELPH 130 that you use.   My question.... does it have a removable memory card or must you download the pix through a USB cable ?   Also, is the battery removable ?  Is it rechargeable through a USB cable ?   Thanks 

Morning TAD; yes on the removable memory card and yes on the removable battery which is then placed in a separate plug-in charger

My biggest problem with some of the small "point and shoot" cameras is the delay between setting up for the next shot. Loved my little Nikkon for so many features,  but it takes so long that I miss a lot of shots or second shots of the same things. Back to my old tiny Canon too - seems like the fastest between shots - and does have both cable or card slot for transferring photos.

DH takes his time to compose shots on his heavy SLR, but I just truly like to point and shoot and shoot enough that some of them actually come out pretty good. He goes for the vistas and the long shots; I take photos of the details, patterns and color.

Edited by OlsSalt

On 1/15/2019 at 11:57 AM, Copper10-8 said:

Morning TAD; yes on the removable memory card and yes on the removable battery which is then placed in a separate plug-in charger

Thanks Copper 10-8,  I checked and the ELPH 130 was discontinued.  The replacement was the ELPH 180.  I ordered that along with a 64gb memory card and the USB file transfer cable.   Thanks for the help.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TAD2005 said:

Thanks Copper 10-8,  I checked and the ELPH 130 was discontinued.  The replacement was the ELPH 180.  I ordered that along with a 64gb memory card and the USB file transfer cable.   Thanks for the help.

Sorry for intruding with something off-topic, but pick up one these for $6. It will take SDHC/SDXC and micro SD/micro SDHC/micro SDXC cards and can be plugged into your computer's USB or microUSB port. Another cool feature, and the selling point for me, is that it supports OTB, the file transfer protocol that allows you to read the memory cards with your phone. It's limited to 64GB cards due to the limitation on OTG (On The Go) but that shouldn't be a big deal unless you plan to shoot hours and hours of video. It's available in microUSB and USB Type C if that's what your phone supports.

61CXVXm7r9L._SX522_.jpg

Edited by POA1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/6/2019 at 8:43 AM, Skipper's Mom said:

Thanks, John, for looking into this for me.  Hopefully, I can find a few other MJ fanatics to play when we board the E in March.

Best wishes for a great New Year!

Lynne

Totally forgot that we took some pics for you as to where to find the Mahjong game inside Eurodam's Gallery Bar

No photo description available.

50908610_10156811883030729_4042925300672102400_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=1c3edae4f20de46e231e4374021ece36&oe=5CBB13E5

Image may contain: indoor

Thanks for posting all the pictures & your write up. We'll be on the Eurodam in Mar. I see that there have been changes since we were on her last. Don't know if I like all the changes in the Crows Nest.

7 hours ago, ski ww said:

Thanks for posting all the pictures & your write up. We'll be on the Eurodam in Mar. I see that there have been changes since we were on her last. Don't know if I like all the changes in the Crows Nest.

Another shot of the "new"  Eurodam Crows Nest on the prior Christmas cruise - notice the large view-blocking screens front and center in the upper center of the photo.

Not a lot to like about the cubicle "library", the space-hogging and useless interactive screen tables. and the multi-use and intrusive nature in the "new" Crows Nest.  Notice also how one of the "interactive"  screen tables got converted into a stand-up puzzle table. Notice also the small "perch" seats in front of the screen tables and puzzle table.

Screen Shot 2019-01-30 at 9.58.20 AM.png

Edited by OlsSalt

• 8 months later...
12 minutes ago, w8ing2cruz said:

I am soaking up every bit of this review - well done Copper10-8.  About page 3 or so I stopped being able to see the pictures.  Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks Waiting to Cruise (cool name)

This thread is now 9-10 months old and the pics disappear after while, sorry about that

Edited by Copper10-8