Live and life from the Eurodam and her New Year's cruise

Copper10-8

32 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Not a real great pic, sorry, but an image of April and (still don't know his name 1f641.png), the lead singers of Eurodam's awesome B.B. King's All-Star Band

I think that is Kanard Thomas---he was with B.B. King on Koningsdam last year. He is really good. 

• Thanks 1

I'm really enjoying reading your review of the Eurodam!  It's the only HA ship I've ever been on.  Soon will add the Rotterdam!  Nice to see pictures of the Neptune Lounge.  It brings back memories.  I believe "Ice" was one of the concierges at that time.  Both were great and didn't mind going out of their way.  Enjoying the pictures as well.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for your ‘live’ thread (just found it).  It brings back memories of years ago when we met you and Maria on the Oosterdam, back in the days of signing a banner.  I think it was a Panama Canal cruise, before you started working for HAL.  I’m thoroughly enjoying visiting those Mexican ports again, and all the pictures.  Looking forward to reading more over the next few days.

• Thanks 1

John, I have a question.  We are told at the main stage shows that we are not allowed to take pictures.  Some of the people I most admire on Cruise Critic (yourself included) have posted photos from those performances.  What am I missing here?

1 hour ago, Sherry H said:

John, I have a question.  We are told at the main stage shows that we are not allowed to take pictures.  Some of the people I most admire on Cruise Critic (yourself included) have posted photos from those performances.  What am I missing here?

1 hour ago, Sherry H said:

Greets from Todos Santos, Baja California Sur, Sherry! Pics w/o flash are ok! recording is not!

On 1/2/2019 at 2:51 PM, MaxeyMom said:

Thanks for the fabulous pics of your cabin, etc.   Do you know if all the cabins been updated with newer color schemes and large screen interactive TV? Is it just the suites?

We're on the Eurodam on March 9 in a VB stern cabin.   I checked cruise deck plans dot com and looked at many veranda grade cabins from VA to VF and all cabin pictures from 2017 and 2018 show the 50" large, wall mounted, interactive TV's.  I also checked some OV and Inside cabins on deck 4 and they also showed the wall mounted interactive TV's in pictures dated in 2018.

I will be on Eurodam in Feb. I saw cans of Le Croix water in one of your pics. If you get a chance can you please find out what the cost is of a can & also if that is included in their non alcoholic beverage package. 

Ah...…….without flash...….now I get it!  I did not realize you could get such good photos without the flash.

I have so enjoyed you taking all of us along on your cruise.  Will miss it but always watch for any of your posts.

They are very informative and done with your special brand of humor.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

I'm sure enjoying your cruise and don't want it to end! 😅  How long is the cruise?  Great photos and commentary, thanks again!

This is a seven-day Holiday (New Years cruise) round-trip San Diego

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ger_77 said:

I gather you're supposed to tip the guy who makes the guacamole?  (I saw the "encouragement" on the tray already.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

You gathered correct as usual and congrats on your superior observation skils,Your Honor! :classic_wink: Not obligatory, yet always highly appreciated! I don't believe a huge bouncer by the name of Javier Quasimodowith hair on his knuckles will arise out of the Pipis cellar dragging same (the knuckles) and a variety of heavy chains on the highly polished floor as he approaches your table, and will then proceed to throw you and honey bunny out on the cobblestones of Calle Guadalupe Sanchez if you don't tip - we didn't push our luck however, and gave him three of George Washington's crispiest frog skins for which he thanked us and smiled as he placed the bowl of Guac on our table.

Same story with the two-person band who sang and played the unofficial anthem of Mexico, especially in Mexican expatriate communities around the world or for Mexicans attending international events such as the Olympic Games or the FIFA World Cup :classic_biggrin:

I'm afraid he wouldn't have gotten any cashola from us, as neither of us cares for guacamole.  We would have tipped the musicians, however; Honey Bunny may have even offered to play a song or two with them!  LOL

Smooth Sailing!

🙂🙂🙂

• Haha 1

Day 5 - Thursday 03 JAN 19 – Mazatlán, Sinaloa

Woke up to partly sunny skies around 7:00 AM as Eurodam sailed slowly by Mazatlán’s El Faro (the lighthouse), perched on its 515-foot hill at the approach to the big harbor. We then entered the Canal de Navegacion on our way to the Cruise Ship Dock. Captain Eric performed a perfect 180 in the harbor just west of part of the Mexican’s Navy’s Pacific fleet and placed Eurodam securely at her Cruise Ship Pier facing west. We were the only cruise ship in port today.

No matter how many times you’ve been here, Mazatlán’s harbor is by no means pretty and/or picturesque since it is principally a fishing, shrimping and commercial port, as a matter of fact, it is Mexico’s primary port for those activities on its Pacific coast. So, once docked, all you see is large warehouses, a whole bunch of shipping containers and a whole lot of concrete.

The name “Mazatlán” comes from the Nahuati word meaning “place or home of deer” and refers to large herds of deer that at one time migrated along the coast. Once the home of the ancient Totorame civilization, Mazatlán was later frequented by pirates who, according to legend, buried their treasures in the caves and coves near the city. Spanish settlers established Mazatlán in 1531 to export gold and silver from the Sierra Madre mines. The port did not really grow until the 18th century when a fishing industry was established. The city is divided into three distinct sections: Vieja Mazatlán (Old Mazatlán) which centers on a small square, Plaza Revolution and its Basilica, an eclectic district of old Spanish-style buildings and colorful new condos. The second is the center of the Malecon (boardwalk) which curves along Bahia del Puerto Viejo and is a lazy stretch of city beach and Pacific recreation area. The third is the northern Zona Dorado (Golden Zone) where Mazatlán’s elegant hotels and condos are found. Dorado is also the tourist neighborhood.

We didn’t have any shorex’ planned here so it was nice to be able to once again have a leisurely breakfast around 10:15 AM while most of Eurodam’s passengers were happily ashore already. The one thing we had planned today was to take a cab to a local store by the name of Sea Shell City, located smack in the middle of that Golden Zone. It’s turned into kind of tradition for us. You see, Sea Shell City is where the child bride in the past has obtained her ‘suns’. These are hand-painted (we think) colorful decorative images of the sun in sizes, ranging from small to huge. Maria has several of them hanging against the rear wall of our back yard, but they must have friendly faces! Any angry faced suns because of not being amused by HAL no longer serving freshly squeezed orange juice are unacceptable.

We picked up the complimentary shuttle (two open air carts with benches on top, pulled by a little tractor) that takes pax from the cruise ship(s) to the terminal building where a bunch of shops are set up both in and outside. Looks like they have added to the place (different entrance) since our last visit here. Once off the shuttle, it’s kinda like walking a gauntlet with vendors trying to get you to come inside. We ignored them and walked to the plaza outside, but still within the gates to pick up a cab. The taxi fare from the cruise terminal to points in Mazatlán has gone up since our last visit. A one-way ride to the Zona Dorado is now $15 and these do not include an expected ‘propina’ (tip).

No photo description available.

Image may contain: sky, boat, outdoor and water

Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, sky and outdoor

Day 5 - Thursday 03 JAN 19 – Mazatlán, Sinaloa (con't)

We selected a taxi, known locally here as a ‘Pulmonia’, loosely translated in English as “Pneumonia”. You see, Mazatlán has a whole lot of these open windowed, open air taxi’s, basically glorified golf carts, painted white with Volkswagen engines in the back. Usually the cab comes complete with a local driver who has made “blowing his horn” a self-proclaimed work of art. The horns produce all kinds of sounds including one very familiar and, once heard, would lead me to immediately pull over to the right side of the curb and produce my driver’s license. Other tunes that can be lovingly produced sound like loud whistles, Ludwig von Beethoven fifth symphony (but uncompleted), Quasimodo ringing ‘the bells’, and the Entrance of the Gladiators minus the lions. The even have a monument dedicated to the pulmonias along the malecon. Overall, an experience not to miss! And our pulmonia today proudly had the name “AUDI” stickered to the hood, so things are looking up in Mazatlán! Anyway, we soon headed north-east with a nice breeze in our hairs, down Avenida del Puerto, through Viejo Mazatlán and down Avenida Las Gaviotas to Seashell City.

Sea Shell City is exactly what the name implies, more shell-covered decorative items than you ever dreamed could exist, from the tacky to the sublime. It's located between Las Garzas and Avenida del Mar on Avenida Rodolfo T. Loaiza and is now also a shell museum. So, Maria is out scoping the interior for her sun while I hold her purse as any well-trained, fully-domesticated husband would do and make strenuous attempts not to lose the will to live. No moons made the expectations today however but wait, all is not lost since on the way home, we will make the obligatory stop at Old Towne San Diego where there happens to be a Mexican ceramic pots artisan store.

We decided to make a left turn and, this time, pass the famous “Shrimp Factory,” kinda like the ‘Mother of all Shrimps’. They have Shrimp Salad, Shrimp Soup, Shrimp with Rice, Deep Fried Shrimp Tacos, Cocktail Shrimp, 3 Quesadillas with Shrimp, Butterfly Breaded Shrimp, Beer Batter Shrimp, Grilled Shrimp, Ranchero Shrimp, Shrimp Fajitas, Coconut Shrimp, Imperial Shrimp, Diablo Shrimp, Shrimp Spaghetti, Grilled Fish with Shrimp, Margarita Shrimp, you name it!

So, after by-passing Forrest Gump’s place, we walked another block and wound up at Bar & Grill ‘Gringo Lingo’ where we went for a seat on the open terrace. We soon ordered a couple of Margaritas each, which came with a bowl of chips and Salsa, and did some serious ‘people watching’ from our perch. Lots and lots of North American tourists in the Zona Dorada, folks. We consumed an order of Quesadillas de Pollo and noticed a regular parade of police patrols driving by (Sinaloa State Police, Mazatlán Tourist Police and Mazatlán Traffic Police). We felt very safe in Mazatlán!

After spending close to an hour at Gringo Lingo, we were intercepted by another Pulmonia cabbie as soon as we set one foot on the pavement outside and off we went again, great fun! The friendly cabbie gave us a little bit of a complimentary tour driving by the fisherman’s monument, as well as the cliff diver’s platform, before depositing us back inside the walls of the cruise port.

49748536_10156752914590729_3195007179149017088_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.xx&oh=56ab5934f297f93c5152b8d1cb916cc3&oe=5C9549DD

Image may contain: car and outdoor

Image may contain: ocean, sky, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: outdoor and food

Image may contain: people sitting, table, drink, food and indoor

Image may contain: sky and outdoor

Image may contain: sky, outdoor and water

1 hour ago, 57redbird said:

Copper - did you get a chance to find out the name of the gift shop in the terminal plaza?

Yea, we looked at the stores in the exterior plaza, following your directions, picked the one that fit them, and asked the associate if they had a website. Unfortunately, she said they don't have one, sorry! :classic_sad:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

Yea, we looked at the stores in the exterior plaza, following your directions, picked the one that fit them, and asked the associate if they had a website. Unfortunately, she said they don't have one, sorry! :classic_sad:

Thanks anyway....

• Like 1

On 1/3/2019 at 8:00 AM, Skipper's Mom said:

John:

In conducting your research, would you be so kind as to check to see if there are Maj Jongg sets available for play?  They used to be in the library behind lock and key only accessible to the librarian (what's that?).

Enjoying your posts as we will be on the E in March.  Thanks.

Lynne

Hi Lynne;

Just discovered Maj Jongg inside a black carrying case inside the Gallery Bar. Took a pic for you however, unable to post pics right now. There are several other board games, all located inside similar carrying cases, stored in racks on one of the side walls of said Gallery Bar, in the part that was originally the dance floor of the Northern Lights disco prior to its conversion. Lots of other games, incl. fussball plus a traditional Dutch game by the name of "sjoelbak," as well as game tables inside the Gallery Bar, which was busy this morning at 11:00 AM

• Like 2