Government Shutdown

14 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

It's a new day and a new generation. I work with a lot of 20 and 30 somethings. They look for any excuse not to work. They all get paid out unused sick time in Feb each year. None of them ever have any left to be paid out and many use more sick time than they have so they don't get paid for those extra days. So this does not surprise me at all.

Yeah, know what you're talking about. Different Generation... My Exwife would get paid out sick leave at end of yr, worked for delta Dental. But I never got paid out my extra sick leave, always accumulated. Guys under old CSRS retirement plan got bigger pension when they retired if they turned in Sick Leave. More then few that Generation had 2500-3000+ Hrs. I was under new FERS plan started in 1980's, my sick leave was always in the 300-400hr range until was allowed use it care for sick kids/appt. Though I even ending up loosing about 80hrs unused when retired...

5 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Yeah, know what you're talking about. Different Generation... My Exwife would get paid out sick leave at end of yr, worked for delta Dental. But I never got paid out my extra sick leave, always accumulated. Guys under old CSRS retirement plan got bigger pension when they retired if they turned in Sick Leave. More then few that Generation had 2500-3000+ Hrs. I was under new FERS plan started in 1980's, my sick leave was always in the 300-400hr range until was allowed use it care for sick kids/appt. Though I even ending up loosing about 80hrs unused when retired...

FERS can now bank all their sick leave for retirement.  And yes that 2500-3000 hours sick leave added to pension but not that much - 2-3% if you have that many hours.

I guess this thread is no longer about government shutdown......

Edited by bouhunter

4 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

FERS can now bank all their sick leave for retirement.  And yes that 2500-3000 hours sick leave added to pension but not that much - 2-3% if you have that many hours.

Interesting, didn't know they'd changed that for FERS. Been Retired/Disabled over 10yr from military injuries. But as said when they did the change in 90's was using more my SL on my kids Illness's/Appt then for myself. Was Single Father raising 3 kids by myself

15 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

Ironic thing is when Budget is passed, Fed Employees will probably back pay BUT ones called in sick wont get paid and will not be able use their sick leave...

Doesn't feel like anything will change over the weekend, making it the longest shutdown in history. Hopefully the government gets it's act together next week and reopens the government. Flying into Miami in 3 weeks for my cruise and getting a little worried.

1 hour ago, ONECRUISER said:

You must have retired a while ago.  Sick leave is now credited to your time in service.

Up to 1-1-14, you only got 50%

1 hour ago, bouhunter said:

2087 hours equals 1 year.  So if you have 2087, you will get 1% or 1.1% of your high 3 salary in retirement (for non-LE/FS/Congress).

16 minutes ago, SRF said:

2087 hours equals 1 year.  So if you have 2087, you will get 1% or 1.1% of your high 3 salary in retirement (for non-LE/FS/Congress).

Except for the dinosaurs in CSRS 🙂  - then it's 2%.

Edited by bouhunter

On 1/3/2019 at 1:14 PM, Spunky946 said:

We got off the navigator in Miami last Sunday and it was nuts.  Only had a few working and at times they would stop the disembarkation on the ship and we would get stuck waiting.  They were running way behind.  About 50-60 minutes.  Then when we got down there and went through they barely looked at our passports and didn’t ask any questions and just waived us through.  

We were told they had a lot of call offs because of the shut down.

we had the same situation happen 2 years ago, except for no govt shutdown was happening, and it was 3 hours behind. We finally got off the ship at noon instead of 8 am.

28 minutes ago, toad455 said:

Doesn't feel like anything will change over the weekend, making it the longest shutdown in history. Hopefully the government gets it's act together next week and reopens the government. Flying into Miami in 3 weeks for my cruise and getting a little worried.

why are you all worried? Planes are still flying into the US and people are coming to the States. My dad is flying in from Europe tomorrow, and we have no worries about his entry into the US.

We got our Nexus Card a couple years ago. It was either going through the TSA Precheck program for $85 for 5 years or Nexus for $50 for years. DUH!!  That and we live by the Canadian border which we do go thru with ease and for boating into Canada with Nexus.

When we started looking it was a no brainier.

On another subject our son is in the UGCG and is not getting paid. But at least he was smart enough to watch his pennies and has enough to get by on for a month or two. His landlord had no problem not taking payment till he gets paid along with other members there.

At there station no boats will go unless it's a emergency. He isn't L&E but works on all the Aids and navigation to keep our boats safe from hitting things.

14 hours ago, toad455 said:

Gotta wonder at what point people not getting paid will need to look for other work.  If the record shutdown lasts 3 more weeks, would think things could be getting testy by then.  IRS says tax season open on 1/28/19, so a lot of federal workers will want to file asap, get that quickie refund.  Saw a contract worker from the Smithsonian saying they will get nothing.

On 1/11/2019 at 6:39 AM, SRF said:

They already did a background check on you.

Did you expect a polygraph? 😄

Retired law enforcement and did backgrounds as an investigator. My idea of an 'interview' wasn't just a fingerprint scan but I'm not complaining. We were in and out in a flash.

20 hours ago, bouhunter said:

Except for the dinosaurs in CSRS 🙂  - then it's 2%.

:classic_tongue:

Not exactly, but if you work long enough, it comes out to about that.  Not many CSRS folks still working.

And your sick leave was always credited to your retirement.  For FERS, that is new.

Edited by SRF

5 hours ago, mugtech said:

Gotta wonder at what point people not getting paid will need to look for other work.  If the record shutdown lasts 3 more weeks, would think things could be getting testy by then.  IRS says tax season open on 1/28/19, so a lot of federal workers will want to file asap, get that quickie refund.  Saw a contract worker from the Smithsonian saying they will get nothing.

They are eligible for unemployment.  But have to pay it back if they get paid for the time later.

13 hours ago, SRF said:

They are eligible for unemployment.  But have to pay it back if they get paid for the time later.

People working but not getting paid are eligible for unemployment?  I guess they would have to take a day off to sign up.  When would the benefits start?  When would be their last day worked, in December?

I don't know.

And I am not sure about those working.   My group has zero year funds, so so far I have not actually been furloughed for any of the previous shutdowns.

But I do know that people have signed up for, and gotten unemployment.  But also had to pay it back.

As for taking a day off, many of those like TSA and CBP do shift work, and would likely have some time off during week at some point.

On 1/10/2019 at 9:44 PM, rvmike said:

CNN,  LOL

Are you saying that the Miami terminal did not close because CNN reported it?  :classic_blink:  Other than being inflammatory, what is this response actually supposed to mean?

Edited by WorkerBee74
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

A math gimmick the Reagan administration started years ago to basically cut everyones pay a few bucks, and they never changed it back.

Correct. In 1982 it was temporarily changed for fiscal years 1984 and 1985 from 2080 to 2087 and in 1985 it was made permanent. Bummer! 

Edited by davekathy