Government Shutdown

Not that heard of. Even when I was working Dept of Defense during 2 different shutdowns we worked, unpaid but got back pay after. Most of Budget was already passed this yr, security would run even if wasnt funded yet. Did cruise last shutdown and ran same when getting off ship, no issues. Worst that was effected in other shutdown was wait of Passports and such

Edited by ONECRUISER

We got off the navigator in Miami last Sunday and it was nuts.  Only had a few working and at times they would stop the disembarkation on the ship and we would get stuck waiting.  They were running way behind.  About 50-60 minutes.  Then when we got down there and went through they barely looked at our passports and didn’t ask any questions and just waived us through.  

We were told they had a lot of call offs because of the shut down.

Being a Fed myself, I know TSA are still at work but they're not getting paid at all, so morale is low with TSA employees at some American ports.

CBP are also affected (work with no pay) at least until the shutdown ends.

Edited by johnjen

12 minutes ago, Spunky946 said:

We got off the navigator in Miami last Sunday and it was nuts.  Only had a few working and at times they would stop the disembarkation on the ship and we would get stuck waiting.  They were running way behind.  About 50-60 minutes.  Then when we got down there and went through they barely looked at our passports and didn’t ask any questions and just waived us through.  

Probably more to do with the way the Holidays fell this year. 

5 hours ago, Spunky946 said:

We disembarked the Allure in Miami last Sunday at the new terminal and there was an abundance of agents.  Walked right off with no waits at all at 8:30 in the morning.  

Maybe terminal 1 stole agents from your terminal.

5 hours ago, Spunky946 said:

Think this is due to Holidays. I've cruised several Holidays and busy busy... Do love new changes though, no long stop showing Passports or listing all purchases...

• Like 1

So all agencies run things slightly different during a shutdown, but for the agency my husband works for no leave is allowed during a shutdown. Sick leave is also not allowed, if you need to take the day off you are put on furlough status for that day. If you are furloughed, you wont be paid for that day unless approved by congress at a later date. So for him, They have had more people at work since no one is on leave. For the most part so far things haven't changed for his workplace, about 90% of the workers are working and the rest, mostly admin are on furlough. As this drags on, there will likely be some noticeable slowdown as the admin side piles up.

It is possible for different agencies to be affected differently, but I wouldn't expect a huge difference in crowds through customs or security yet.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Think this is due to Holidays. I've cruised several Holidays and busy busy... Do love new changes though, no long stop showing Passports or listing all purchases...

I would disagree with that.  As I said above we disembarked Allure that same day and it was one of our quickest disembarkations ever with an abundance of CBP officers working.  The facial scanners were down in terminal A that day and I suspect that CBP officers were pulled into terminal A as it’s the flagship for terminals and they wanted to make it look good.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

Just now, Ourusualbeach said:

I would disagree with that.  As I said above we disembarked Allure that same day and it was one of our quickest disembarkation ever with an abu dance of CBP officers working.  The facial scanners were down in terminal A that day and I suspect that CBP officers were pulled into terminal A as it’s the flagship for terminals and they wanted to make it look good.

This is one thing that I've not seen the CPB officers do. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, johnjen said:

Being a Fed myself, I know TSA are still at work but they're not getting paid at all, so morale is low with TSA employees at some American ports.

CBP are also affected (work with no pay) at least until the shutdown ends.

I’m a retired Federal employee.  Whenever we had those shutdowns I was one of those employees that worked during the shutdown and got paid.  Those that weren’t working and didn’t get paid, did get back pay.

I always built up my checking account to cover one month’s worth of bills “just in case”. I still do that because we have auto pay for most of our bills - “just in case.”  I feel for those who are not financially able to do that.  Hopefully this won’t last too long.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I would disagree with that.  As I said above we disembarked Allure that same day and it was one of our quickest disembarkations ever with an abundance of CBP officers working.  The facial scanners were down in terminal A that day and I suspect that CBP officers were pulled into terminal A as it’s the flagship for terminals and they wanted to make it look good.

Poster said was delayed leaving ship. Said might been due to Holiday... But their and my experience when getting to CBP was fast, no checking purchases or long lines as years ago. So what I said is same as with you.

Edited by ONECRUISER

Is it TSA that screens people boarding? They seem to be a private firm.

In Port Canaveral a couple of weeks ago one of their agents made multiple mistakes (that should have gotten him fired). Any TSA agent would have had enough training not to make these bad mistakes.

22 minutes ago, phabric said:

We will be disembarking off the Symphony in Miami.  

Coming from Canada, I am not sure if the Government Shut Down will effected immigration procedure any once we are off the ship?

Nope, as said above no issues

During the last lengthy shutdown, there was a purposely implemented slow down at the ports -- it didn't have to be, but it was done for political purposes -- to make you feel the pain so you would beg for the shutdown to be over.  Glad to hear it's not happening this time.

Edited by Wine-O

1 hour ago, rt1092 said:

Is it TSA that screens people boarding? They seem to be a private firm.

In Port Canaveral a couple of weeks ago one of their agents made multiple mistakes (that should have gotten him fired). Any TSA agent would have had enough training not to make these bad mistakes.

No, TSA doesn't screen cruise passengers.