Celebrity Edge Andromeda

Stateroom_Sailor

I read through a comprehensive review of the Edge, which mentioned Andromeda.  According to Celebrity's website:

"You’ll step through the futuristic body scanner of Andromeda at The Club and become someone else for the evening. This high energy, interactive diversion is the ultimate in role play experiences that lets you be someone else—just for the night."

According to the reviewer, it's up to passengers to figure out how to role play, which didn't seem to work on their evening.  Crew appeared to be dressed up in steampunk outfits, and skimpy vinyl.  The body scanner looks like a giant Stargate type ring.  Has anyone experienced this, and do people actually get into role playing?

The whole thing sounds a bit cheesy to me, but I'm interested in hearing from people who've been there on the ground.

I've done "assigned identity" events before and had a blast. Usually a mystery dinner or LARP (live action role play) weekend. It's a nerd thing us weirdos do. To enjoy it, you'll need a tolerance of ambiguity and enough imagination to suspend disbelief. If you need clearly defined rules, object, or a specific goal to enjoy play, this might not be the best event for you.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

I read through a comprehensive review of the Edge, which mentioned Andromeda.  According to Celebrity's website:

"You’ll step through the futuristic body scanner of Andromeda at The Club and become someone else for the evening. This high energy, interactive diversion is the ultimate in role play experiences that lets you be someone else—just for the night."

According to the reviewer, it's up to passengers to figure out how to role play, which didn't seem to work on their evening.  Crew appeared to be dressed up in steampunk outfits, and skimpy vinyl.  The body scanner looks like a giant Stargate type ring.  Has anyone experienced this, and do people actually get into role playing?

The whole thing sounds a bit cheesy to me, but I'm interested in hearing from people who've been there on the ground.

We walked into the Club on the night they did “Andromeda”.

We turned around and walked out.

There are so many other great ways X could utilize this space.

This is not one of them. Jm2c.

Edited by C-Dragons

7 hours ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

Yes, we were given cards with "missions" but I think there were only a six different cards. The crew played characters - like a prince, his bodyguard, a cyborg and you were meant to engage with them. Not many passengers got into it. It was quite funny watching someone dance with the bodyguard while he acted like a guard at Buckingham Palace - i.e. no reaction!

cards.jpg

cyborg.jpg

dude.jpg

dance.jpg

Edited by dides
  • Like 1

Watched the Video

Good Grief!   Silly and Loud!

Looks like EDEN show is not the only strange addition to the EDGE  repertoire!  But if folks want to try it one night..fine with me but def not for us.. predict this will be gone !

Going to start a thread about EDGE CLUB ..activity and events.  Hope about a jazz night with real music ..

Or Karaoke, or ?????

Edited by hcat
  • Like 1

This all looks too intrusive for introverts, and too geeky for extraverts, so I'm not sure who their core audience is.  I mentioned steampunk before (19th century + futuristic machinery), but this seems like an unrelated mixture of various sci fi tropes.  Weird, and not necessarily in a good way...

I also found this:

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor

There are actually Theme Cruises for the Steampunk crowd, along with theme cruises for just about anything you can imagine these days... yes, even for us Trekkie's.

Best to save the cosplay and costumes for one of those cruises.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fla Mike said:

There are actually Theme Cruises for the Steampunk crowd, along with theme cruises for just about anything you can imagine these days... yes, even for us Trekkie's.

Best to save the cosplay and costumes for one of those cruises.

If you cruise on EDGE and  try this event, would like to hear your review.

We grew up with Star Trek...Younger gen went with Star Wars...now Aquaman

Odd they chose this for entertainment/or activity...time will tell if it  actually attracts cruisers or people will attend for lack of something else to do????

5 hours ago, warmwinds said:

So is this and Eden on the same ships at the same time?  Or do some ships have one and some the other?

What are they thinking...

Same ship, same line, Celebrity Edge.  Andromeda is held one night per normal cruise in The Club, where Eden has odd performances every night.  Who knows, maybe someone will catch the Andromeda characters pouring out onto the rest of the ship?

5 hours ago, Ma Bell said:

Amazing how out of touch with cruisers they are.

And non-cruisers.  There are niche markets in the larger cities, but you're pooling from several million people.  Besides, this is too amateur and amusingly awkward at that.

13 minutes ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

Same ship, same line, Celebrity Edge.  Andromeda is held one night per normal cruise in The Club, where Eden has odd performances every night.  Who knows, maybe someone will catch the Andromeda characters pouring out onto the rest of the ship?

And non-cruisers.  There are niche markets in the larger cities, but you're pooling from several million people.  Besides, this is too amateur and amusingly awkward at that.

I agree, it's extremely amateurish and completely inappropriate for a "modern luxury" cruise concept. It seems to be aimed at a Comic-con audience which is the antithesis of what they purport to be.

• Like 1

It’s one night per cruise folks. If you don’t like it, don’t go. Personally, I don’t like Jane Curry, but lots of X cruisers go Gaga over her. I don’t spend any time complaining about about her. In fact I’ve probably seen her show 2 or 3 times. She’s a very nice lady and is always there after shows to take pictures and talk to the audience. I’m looking forward to trying both Eden and Andromeda. I may not like it, but I’ll give it a try. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, RICCruisers said:

It’s one night per cruise folks. If you don’t like it, don’t go. Personally, I don’t like Jane Curry, but lots of X cruisers go Gaga over her. I don’t spend any time complaining about about her. In fact I’ve probably seen her show 2 or 3 times. She’s a very nice lady and is always there after shows to take pictures and talk to the audience. I’m looking forward to trying both Eden and Andromeda. I may not like it, but I’ll give it a try. 

I don't complain about the entertainment either and understand what you are saying but this is just a part of a "concept" that seems out of step. In this case I think it's important to speak up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RICCruisers said:

Right?!?!?

You know what people? This spaceship stuff isn't my thing either, but um, at least they're giving it a shot. These PERFORMERS are learning this is all new to them TOO. If everyone stays negative and these shows get cut, guess what?!?!? You'll are going to miss it and complain that it is a CUTBACK!

B-Rizzle - You are not doing yourself or anyone else any favors with your posts. Cruisers that have decided they either don’t or won’t like Eden or Andromeda are entrenched in the current beliefs. Your posts are only making matters worse. 

If if you really care about the performers, leave these discussions and let people decide for themselves. I know this will be hard for you because you obviously have someone close to you (or are one of them) involved. The decision to keep them or scrap them will be made by someone above both of our pay grades. 

I say this with all due respect. 

8 minutes ago, B-Rizzle said:

Right?!?!?

You know what people? This spaceship stuff isn't my thing either, but um, at least they're giving it a shot. These PERFORMERS are learning this is all new to them TOO. If everyone stays negative and these shows get cut, guess what?!?!? You'll are going to miss it and complain that it is a CUTBACK!

Um... no, I don’t think so. Have you actually seen them in person?

These performers were told when they were hired what they were expected to do, they are not learning on the job. Their performances remind me of the failed Cirque du Soleil episode in X's past...

No complaint here, I won't miss them.