Discount question

Emptynest17

I am looking to book a cruise in March of this year. Price is the same through Royal Caribbean and a discount agent. The discount place is offering 1 night of free specialty dining and free gratuities. This seems too good to be true. Is there something I am missing here? Am I better to book through Royal? Do they really pre-pay my gratuities? Anyone have any advise for me?

4 minutes ago, Emptynest17 said:

I am looking to book a cruise in March of this year. Price is the same through Royal Caribbean and a discount agent. The discount place is offering 1 night of free specialty dining and free gratuities. This seems too good to be true. Is there something I am missing here? Am I better to book through Royal? Do they really pre-pay my gratuities? Anyone have any advise for me?

Different TAs may, or may not, offer perks for using them to book a cruise.  Those perks come out of their commission, generally.

We've booked cruises directly through the cruise line usually, a couple of time during promotions that included free gratuities.  As to whether the discount place actually pays them or not, I'd have to say, they'd better, if that's what they're offering.  

Travel agents often book at the same price as the cruise line and then offer alternate amenities.  The one I use generally kicks back OBC  and has occasionally tossed in a specialty dinner as well.  Sounds like the one you priced is offering free gratuities which would be a reasonable offer as well.

1 hour ago, Emptynest17 said:

I can't remember a time when a TA hasn't offered to cover gratuities (as a promotional amenity from the cruise line itself or from a TA consortium to which they belong or as one of several forms of commission sharing).

If all else you're getting besides the tips is a "specialty" dinner or some cheap wine, I'd do a lot more research and find a more generous TA for your next cruise.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

It is quite common for TA's to offer free gratuities as well as other perks like specialty dinners or OBC.  It's why we usually use a travel agent.  Often the cabin price is reduced as well.  We do shop around for the best deal--it can mean hundreds in savings.

The TA's that we deal with (on line) typically rebate 8-12 percent of the commissionable fare back to us in the form of OBC's.

Some will not offer it up.  You have to ask. They have to know that you are shopping.

Edited by iancal