“LIVE FROM” 2019 Oceania Insignia World Cruise, Jan. 11-July 11

Go-Bucks!

Mar.30.2019 Tokyo,  Rikugien Gardens. Cherry blossom night illuminated!  Gathered 6 friends and took the Oceania shuttle (near train station).  From the stop, passed a McDonald’s and Starbucks to platform 2 at Kamagome station (ticket 170 yen per person) the park is a few hundred meters away.  6PM(sunset) the  entrance line may appear endless but it moves quickly.  “Two old, old” got us the seniors rate (150 yen each).  Enjoy the spectacle at night 130 year old magnificent cherry blossom in full bloom.  Then retrace your steps, platform 1 one stop after Tokyo station back to the shuttle.  The train ride is about 25 minutes. 

C24AEFAF-C227-4D64-A7C1-DF94CE7A7130.jpeg

ECEEDBBB-4BB5-48B0-87D9-22D4A1D1D8C3.jpeg

D25F33F8-8B72-481F-ABA3-B3E0860C96D5.jpeg

65FEE358-83B5-4923-9908-896737809FE6.jpeg

D5E16B32-FC28-4CD3-845A-AD5D80277000.jpeg

C11BA865-BF87-4A7C-9C25-729D26EE0502.jpeg

FF43677E-7A63-4407-A21F-55131E5361BC.jpeg

1C8A1E26-0E87-4C42-9E11-34E5E7514417.jpeg

• Like 3

11 hours ago, See_More said:

Mar.30.2019 Tokyo,  Rikugien Gardens. Cherry blossom night illuminated!  Gathered 6 friends and took the Oceania shuttle (near train station).

Did the ship dock in Yokohama or Tokyo Bay? We will be overnighting in Tokyo on the ATW 2020. Did you know ahead of time where you would be docking?

18 minutes ago, Senior Citizen said:

The ship docked at Harumi Port.  However, I was told the port will be moved.  Currently, there is lots of construction outside the port as it will become the 2020 Olympic Village.

Interested in this info as we are scheduled to dock at Harumi on May 5thy with Viking.

Can you please be more specific about the move and when such move will take place (and to where)

TIA.

Last night, there was a free shuttle to an area by Ginza where they were selling some 2020 Olympics merchandise.  They also had 2019 Rugby World Cup life-size mascots taking photos with tourists.  And, Betty, best of all was the Starbuck’s where they were selling Japan mugs with a cherry blossom pink interior and colorful exterior with pictures of cherry blossoms, Mt. Fuji, etc.

We left the ship this morning and are now sitting at the Tokyo Hilton where there’s a sign for Oceania guests (but not us as we booked independently).  Our taxi driver said this is peak cherry blossom season in Tokyo and we should go to Ueno today since it is supposed to be a relatively nice day (rained last night).

We really enjoyed our time as segmenters or leggers on the 2019 World Cruise.  The 300-400 World Cruisers were so nice, as were the 200 or so who embarked in Sydney.  We wish everyone well in their continuing journeys.  

Bye Betsy.  See you on a segment of the 2020 World Cruise.  And thanks Bob for showing me how to post photos in CruiseCritic.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Senior Citizen said:

If we wander by a tourist office during our stay in Tokyo, I will see if they know when the move (Harumi Port) will take place.

Thank you - please post if you find out anything.

5 hours ago, Senior Citizen said:

Bye Betsy.  See you on a segment of the 2020 World Cruise.  And thanks Bob for showing me how to post photos in CruiseCritic.

You’re most welcome, Francis!

Betsy says thanks for the shirt info, but she read it too late.  They didn’t have any when we toured the Tower this morning...

She’ll see you when she boards in Tokyo, next year.

Safe travels, home!🙂

Ok....we'll be in Tokyo on ATW20 and nothing is currently posted on O's website for Tokyo port shorex.  So....

1.  when you discuss Hilton hotel, does that mean O is offering an overnight at the hotel ?    They've done that in the past for other ports and it is a great idea.

2.  Interested in the shorex that got you there--is it DIY overnight in Tokyo and there is a shuttle or is it "take this shorex and also spend the night?"  And then there is a shuttle back to the port??

thanks for any help you can give this researcher!!!

1 hour ago, cbb said:

Ok....we'll be in Tokyo on ATW20 and nothing is currently posted on O's website for Tokyo port shorex.  So....

1.  when you discuss Hilton hotel, does that mean O is offering an overnight at the hotel ?    They've done that in the past for other ports and it is a great idea.

2.  Interested in the shorex that got you there--is it DIY overnight in Tokyo and there is a shuttle or is it "take this shorex and also spend the night?"  And then there is a shuttle back to the port??

thanks for any help you can give this researcher!!!

Oceania provided a shuttle for DIY guests. The ATW guests were treated to an “event” off the ship last night.  They went to a dinner and entertainment at a hotel.  I heard a repeat ATW guest felt it was the best “event” she has experienced in her 4 or 5 ATW cruises.  

When we disembarked this morning, we went independently to the Tokyo Hilton where we saw the following sign: 

1CE58DD6-AA83-43D3-B68A-04F74F382484.jpeg

senior citizen--

thanks for the great info re: shuttle for DIY guests.  And I know the "repeat" guest of whom you are speaking!!! 

We're looking so forward to our ATW experience; ATW16 was amazing!!!  Thanks again!

OK....next question. 

Did anyone go from Kobe port to Kyoto DIY?   What form of transportation did you use?  Wish O would put a shuttle there as well.  ATW16 they did for Kuala Lumpur port into town (and other ports as well) and called it "On Your Own" which we loved.    

16 minutes ago, cbb said:

OK....next question. 

Did anyone go from Kobe port to Kyoto DIY?   What form of transportation did you use?  Wish O would put a shuttle there as well.  ATW16 they did for Kuala Lumpur port into town (and other ports as well) and called it "On Your Own" which we loved.    

My husband and I did.  We took the Metro from Port Terminal (right next to the ship) and went to Sannomiya station (2 stops?).  We bought a JR rapid express ticket ($10 pp) to Kyoto and 50 minutes later we were there!  We bought a $9 day pass in Kyoto and rode the metro and buses to the Imperial Palace and the Nishiki Market.

Oceania did have a shuttle in Kobe to downtown Kobe.

• Like 2

senior citizen--

see, your reply is what makes this website so valuable. 

this is absolutely what i'm looking for.  Detailed info---where metro located re: port and which station to use.  I did have the station maps in Kyoto, but couldn't find the metro station at port. 

My big bucket items are: Fushimi Inari and the Sagano Bamboo Forest.  (we were here ATW16 so I've seen the northern parts.)

we have an O EVENT in Kobe " Arima Onsen Gekkoen" from 5-9pm so we'll have to make our way back from Kyoto to Kobe for that.  We really want to go but it does make it difficult to fit in everything we want to see.  We are there overnight so that helps but leave at 3pm the next day.  (I know, I know.....1st World Problems)

thanks again.  All knowledge of the ports gratefully received.

13 hours ago, Senior Citizen said:

The ship docked at Harumi Port.  However, I was told the port will be moved.  Currently, there is lots of construction outside the port as it will become the 2020 Olympic Village.

Thank you Frances. Glad you made it into Kyoto from Kobe. Hope you got on less crowded trains than we did last year. Looking forward to sailing with you and Raphael next year.