What kind of a rental car should I rent?

peterp

We are cruising to the various islands on the Pride of America.  I was thinking of renting a convertible for some of the islands.  We will be in Honolulu for three days.  I would also like to rent in Maui, Kauai, and Hilo for at least one day.  I am wondering if we should rent convertible for certain islands compared to others.  Will I need a SUV or Jeep on any of the islands?  Thanks for any help.  By the way, we will not be driving the road to hana.

Hard to say, I’m always tempted by a convertible, but most are too low for me to climb in and out, so keep going back to a SUV as much like our own as possible, my wife’s is a Lexus, not any of  those for hire so normally go a Toyota, the Rav 4 has the same layout.

i find it much easier on roads I’m not used to to be driving a car I don’t need to think about what is where.

Doubt you need a Jeep or SUV. Been to Hawaii about 30 times, never less than a week, never had a jeep or SUV. Never needed one. Been to Hana twice. Driven all over each island.

Never had a convertible either. The sun is very strong, and warm. Our dermatologist would be very unhappy.

Not sure how we would know what you need.

Lol!  Everyone wants a convertible!  We booked one, and got a van....oh well!  Since there are SO many rentals in Hawaii, a convertible isn't the safest, if you want to leave anything inside the car....thieves know the license plates that rentals use.  If you carry ANYTHING of value, make sure it's out of sight in the trunk!

Really...as long as it goes, it's fine...convertible not a "must".

You don't need a Jeep or convertible.  You don't need sunburn or windburn - that's for sure.  

You need a car with good air-conditioning and a trunk to store your goodies out of sight. 

You may not want a car in Honolulu - it depends on whether you're staying in town or exploring the Island.  Understand that hotel parking can be very pricey, and it is taxed as well.  

I would not rent a car in Hilo - that's the one port where I would take an excursion ... Volcanoes National Park.  You gawk while someone else drives.  

Honestly, be aware of the ship excursion options before renting a car.  I would rather take an excursion to Haleakala or the Road to Hana as a first-time visitor to Maui.  

If you would like a convertible, your odds of benefiting from it are less on Hilo -- they have annual rainfall of 127" -- have had rain there several times. 

Kona on the other side only has 27"  -- better chance of sunshine  

Aloha!

On 1/11/2019 at 2:33 PM, peterp said:

Thanks everyone.  How about if we would like to see North Beach and that area around Honolulu?  Do we need a car?

We were out in Hawaii for two weeks in 2016, did two one day rentals in Honolulu and Kauai. Very reasonable pricing! our last day there, we drove up to north beach and it was beautiful! In Kauai, we were all over the island and had a blast, think we averaged about $35 for the day for the rentals, no convertibles at all! On the Big Island and Maui, we did excursions, but did our own thing on Kauai. In Kauai for example, we took the shuttle to the airport, booked the car while on the shuttle and picked it up with no problem. Only bad thing, was paying $20 to park in the lot near the port!

We used Maui Budget Cars on Maui.  It is a local company that charged a lot less than national chains.  They are very laid back.  They brought our car to us at the airport and we drop it off back at the airport when we leave.  We got a Chevy Cruz and got through the entire loop of the road to Hana with absolutely no issues.

Don't get a Jeep or a convertible, only get an SUV if it is what you drive normally and you want familiarity. Other than that there is no need for an SUV.

Get to the North Shore from urban Honolulu is only practical with a rental car. Plan so you can hit the Pali on the way or back.

We were often upgraded to convertables.  We hated them. The top had to go up and down and up and down due to the numerous down pours.    They were hot, we got wind and sun burned. Not to mention the Bride of Frankenstien hair. After that we rejected convertables and just got economy cars.  They were easier to park too.  

Edited by Umbarger

If you want to see all the beautiful beaches on the North Shore, you really need a car.  We are actually staying up at the Courtyard Marriott across from the Polynesian Cultural Centre in Laie for three nights (last time we stayed at Turtle Bay) but that spot has become crazy expensive, so we are giving Courtyard at try.  There are lovely beaches and surfers up there and massive waves, Also, a tidbit, the Beach Haleiwa where some of the original episodes of the original Baywatch (1999) was filmed is up there.  Look out for the turtles as well.   We normally rent a full size car with air conditioning and because we are stopping frequently and playing in the water, we stay away from convertibles as we like to be able to lock our belongings away.  Thieves love convertibles.  

• 1 month later...

I'm a convertible lover and own a Miata in my real life.  We always get convertibles on the islands - if it rains we just put the top up and when the sun shines - well, IMHO, nothing is better.  As far as convertible hair - wear a scarf, hat,  or just don't worry about it.

Even if you don't rent a convertible, consider driving with open windows.  On all of the islands (excluding Oahu) the speed limits are lower.  With the windows open I can smell the fragrant flowers, tropical air, and hear the birds and the surf.  Each year we spend most of January on Kauai.  Our rented condo doesn't have A/C and we don't need it.  We don't use A/C in the car.  We picnic on the beach, do our annual visit to Kilauea Lighthouse to watch the whales, frequent the local markets and food carts.  My cousin who lives full-time on Maui says it best: "Hawaii is a feeling."

This is just an opinion from a CC member who has lived in Hawaii and is lucky enough to be there each January! 🙂

• Like 1