Swimming pools on Viking Ocean

zitsky

The Infinity Pool is very nice though rather small.  Views over the stern are nice.  The midships pool is larger and usually good for some socializing.  I have seen some swimming "laps" in the midships pool but it is not really large enough.  One quibble about both pools is depth.  Too deep for most to stand on the bottom so most end up clinging to the edge.  This could be easily solved by putting some metal decking in the pools or in part of the pools.  DW is 5' 8"" and could not stand on the bottom and continue breathing.

15 minutes ago, Jack E Dawson said:

We have booked our first cruise on Viking Ocean and were wondering if the Infinity pool and Main pool were heated?

Also, are the adjacent hot tubs actually hot (101F-103F, 38C-39C)? 

Yes.  Pools to about 85F or thereabout.  Hot tubs are hot.  Our Captain gave the exact temps for each pool and the hot tubs (even the spa pool) at each Noon announcement.  We found the temp to be very comfortable.  Refreshing but not chilly.  Wish I was in one right now!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

We LOVE the aft infinity pool for sail aways and drinks....a bit awkward if the sail away is late and there are diners all around using the Aquavit Terrace....but we survived!!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, deec said:

We LOVE the aft infinity pool for sail aways and drinks....a bit awkward if the sail away is late and there are diners all around using the Aquavit Terrace....but we survived!!!

I guess you just wear a robe and slippers.  Does VO supply those?  Do you have to walk through the cafe to get there or do you walk outside?

53 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I guess you just wear a robe and slippers.  Does VO supply those?  Do you have to walk through the cafe to get there or do you walk outside?

Viking does supply robes and slippers and it is possible to get to the infinity pool without walking through the World Cafe....however, most folks wore their bathing suits and a cover up or t-shirt on our Transatlantic when heading to the pool.

often times on our last cruise they drained some of the water out of the Infinity Pool so it would not splash out when the seas were less than calm....so at 5/2 I could walk on the bottom but it was not as easy to hang on the back wall and just be mesmerized by the blue sea!!!

3 minutes ago, deec said:

often times on our last cruise they drained some of the water out of the Infinity Pool so it would not splash out when the seas were less than calm....so at 5/2 I could walk on the bottom but it was not as easy to hang on the back wall and just be mesmerized by the blue sea!!!

This gives me my answer.  If people are hanging on the edge, it must be difficult to swim. 

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

This gives me my answer.  If people are hanging on the edge, it must be difficult to swim. 

if you're swimming its fine...it you are floating its fine...if you can't do one or the other, the infinity pool is too deep for most to stand and enjoy...hence the hanging.  I'm six foot seven so I didn't have any issue.

• Like 1

Ah, come on...be a little adventurous! The infinity pool was heated and we used the outdoor hot tub in the snow on our Northern Lights cruise. Amazing with snow falling! Crew even brought us warm towels. Loved it!

12 hours ago, Pushka said:

I’m thinking the infinity pool won’t be used or even tried out on our cruise to Alaska. 

• Like 5

If the pools are kept at 85°F that could explain why you don't see anyone swimming laps.  That's way too warm to do serious lap swimming.  Most pools I've done lap swimming are kept between 70° and 75°F.  At 85°F you'd be sweating very quickly.  Yes, even while swimming.

the infinity pool is only 20 foot by 20 foot or there abouts .... not exactly a lapswim environment!  Not much more than an oversized (deep) hot tub IMO

on our Midnight Sun this past July the main pool (under the sunroof) was too warm to be called refreshing while Norway experienced a heat wave and temps were WAY above average . . . on the cooler days when WAY up north the main pool was comfortable .... I never felt the need to seek extra heat from the hot tub.

On 2/12/2019 at 1:47 AM, Pushka said:

I’m thinking the infinity pool won’t be used or even tried out on our cruise to Alaska. 

You may be right, although on our TA crossing last September - Bergen to Montreal - there were several people in the infinity pool every day/evening.  I had thought, like you, that it would be deserted.   We did have exceptionally good weather for that time of year (Sept. 4 departure)/the regions we were traveling in, but it was pretty cold out on deck.  Didn’t seem to matter to several hardier soul!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, aungrl said:

You may be right, although on our TA crossing last September - Bergen to Montreal - there were several people in the infinity pool every day/evening.  I had thought, like you, that it would be deserted.   We did have exceptionally good weather for that time of year (Sept. 4 departure)/the regions we were traveling in, but it was pretty cold out on deck.  Didn’t seem to matter to several hardier soul!

Im going to try it just because it looks wonderful. Probably not the day we go to Hubbard Glacier, but it might make for a great photo op. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Pushka said:

Im going to try it just because it looks wonderful. Probably not the day we go to Hubbard Glacier, but it might make for a great photo op. 

Good for you! What a great photo with you in the jacuzzi and the Hubbard Glacier calving in the background!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, twodjs said:

Good for you! What a great photo with you in the jacuzzi and the Hubbard Glacier calving in the background!

Yes that's right!  Tell everyone to sit in the jacuzzi so I can have the pool to myself!

/kidding