Norwegian says I'm a child

Kmkub

I'm a database administrator, so I always find it amusing when I see the crazy ways other companies treat customer data. They have my birth date, my passport and all pertinent information to prove I'm not a child, but, there I am, listed as a child.

SMH.  They'd need less phone agents if they just hired quality database people who could use data, (like a birth date, for example,) to determine if someone is an adult.

Do I need to get this fixed before sail time or can I handle it on board?

• Like 1

Are you over 21?

Your passport data in the database would not not Prove you are not a child 

Pertinent information in the database would not not prove you are not a child. 

If your our data is wrong and DHS picks up an inconsistency between in the data (from the database) provided to them, you will be delayes/denied boarding. 

18 minutes ago, Kmkub said:

SMH.  They'd need less phone agents if they just hired quality database people who could use data, (like a birth date, for example,) to determine if someone is an adult.

Really?  Sounds like something in a layer far beyond the database. I doubt that an indicator for adult vs. Child is persisted. Sounds like it is derived. 

As a DBA (database administrator), you should already know this that Human error is the most common reason for data inconsistencies.  A programmer would be the one to make the auto-calculations/determination so the code could be wrong, but I still say most likely a human error and YES you need to get it fixed.  

We we have had similar problems with different cruise lines, first they had put in my husband’s birthday 10 years prior pro his birth and the second which was just a few weeks ago, I called and was talking to an agent and the next morning my birthday was really messed up (it was the current month and day (Jan 5) with a year that was making 21 years younger then I am). In short if I does not match my passport and the information has to match, if you are selected for a detailed verification and the information does not match then you can be stuck at customs until it can be cleared up.  

If I were you, I would be concerned that some where in the system they have your birthday wrong and the screen you are looking that is showing the correct birthday may not be the same screen that is used upon checking and the data may been be in two separate databases that are having issues being sync’ed together correctly.  

59 minutes ago, Kmkub said:

I'm a database administrator, so I always find it amusing when I see the crazy ways other companies treat customer data. They have my birth date, my passport and all pertinent information to prove I'm not a child, but, there I am, listed as a child.

I've was part of a team that migrated a payroll system from main frame to web based - you have my sympathies & admiration if you manage data full time!! 

If you are over 21, contact NCL they probably have your birth date wrong. 

3 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Are you over 21?

Yes, that's why I'm asking the question.

3 hours ago, OzCanuck said:

Really?  Sounds like something in a layer far beyond the database. I doubt that an indicator for adult vs. Child is persisted. Sounds like it is derived. 

It should be, based on my birth date, stored in the database, but it's not doing that, since my birth date is correct.

2 hours ago, lets_dance said:

As a DBA (database administrator), you should already know this that Human error is the most common reason for data inconsistencies.  A programmer would be the one to make the auto-calculations/determination so the code could be wrong, but I still say most likely a human error and YES you need to get it fixed.  

If my birth date was wrong in the database, that would be the issue. They can calculate my age based on birth date, but it doesn't seem like they are bothering.

2 hours ago, YVRBassElectric said:

I've was part of a team that migrated a payroll system from main frame to web based - you have my sympathies & admiration if you manage data full time!! 

I love it and appreciate when other companies have good data integrity processes. It's a fun job!

17 minutes ago, OBSESSIVEWORLDTRAVELER said:

If I were you, I would fix it before I go to the cruise ship. Do you really want to be denied boarding literally feet from the ship because of a problem on NCL’s end?

No. I was asking because i didn't know if it was an issue. My TA is on it. Thanks.

Kmkub, did you ever sail with NCL back when you were a minor? I ask because our daughter sailed with us many years ago as a minor; fast-forward to last year (she's 23 now)...when she booked her Nov 2018 cruise, she was also listed as a minor despite being 23. Our PCC said something about that's how her latitude account was listed in the system based on her last cruise, and that it would update itself after the new cruise.

Didn't make any sense to us, but I'll say we didn't have any issues when she checked in; her current age was clearly listed. We recently booked our family 2020 cruise, and she's no longer listed as a child. Not sure if this is the same thing happening to you, but wanted to share. I'm sure your TA and NCL will figure it out.

1 hour ago, kopiko said:

Kmkub, did you ever sail with NCL back when you were a minor? I ask because our daughter sailed with us many years ago as a minor; fast-forward to last year (she's 23 now)...when she booked her Nov 2018 cruise, she was also listed as a minor despite being 23. Our PCC said something about that's how her latitude account was listed in the system based on her last cruise, and that it would update itself after the new cruise.

Didn't make any sense to us, but I'll say we didn't have any issues when she checked in; her current age was clearly listed. We recently booked our family 2020 cruise, and she's no longer listed as a child. Not sure if this is the same thing happening to you, but wanted to share. I'm sure your TA and NCL will figure it out.

No, first, and only, time was in 2015. I was 49. My husband's record is fine. I don't even have credit for the cruise. I tried to submit, but apparently, assuring your cruise gets credited is the customer's responsibility, which is very disappointing. My husband will have two credits after next month, while I will have only one.  It may be enough to keep us from cruising NCL, as there wasn't anything to us that said, "WOW! We must come back!" So, /meh - will have a great time next month, but, whatever. Silly policy, but it is what it is. I am quite sure I agreed to this limitation in the 40,000 word user agreement I clicked without reading.

12 hours ago, Kmkub said:

You're a database administrator and you would allow phone center call agents view the birth date, passport number and other personal information? 🙂

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Kmkub said:

I suggest that you try the easy solution first: Log on to your MyNCL account on ncl.com, choose the "Update profile" tab on the left hand side and edit your birth date yourself if it is wrong? 

Edited by TrumpyNor

19 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Are you over 21?

Your passport data in the database would not not Prove you are not a child 

Pertinent information in the database would not not prove you are not a child. 

If your our data is wrong and DHS picks up an inconsistency between in the data (from the database) provided to them, you will be delayes/denied boarding. 

well you have heard it said many times "oh to be young again" now NCL is giving you that chance. 

2 hours ago, TrumpyNor said:

I suggest that you try the easy solution first: Log on to your MyNCL account on ncl.com, choose the "Update profile" tab on the left hand side and edit your birth date yourself if it is wrong? 

In my first post I forgot to say that you can also edit your birth date during the online check-in process before the cruise....

Edited by TrumpyNor

22 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Don't feel bad. MSC has me as a male in my past cruise and as a female in my future cruise...I don't have gender reassignment surgery scheduled AFAIK.

They do the same for our DS.  He gets booked as male, look at confirmation, he is female.

Call TA to change and she says common problem with MSC.  Happened 2 - 3 times.

14 hours ago, Kmkub said:

No, first, and only, time was in 2015. I was 49. My husband's record is fine. I don't even have credit for the cruise. I tried to submit, but apparently, assuring your cruise gets credited is the customer's responsibility, which is very disappointing. My husband will have two credits after next month, while I will have only one.  It may be enough to keep us from cruising NCL, as there wasn't anything to us that said, "WOW! We must come back!" So, /meh - will have a great time next month, but, whatever. Silly policy, but it is what it is. I am quite sure I agreed to this limitation in the 40,000 word user agreement I clicked without reading.

Like you, Princess did not have a record of my previous cruise too. I was able to send pictures proving I was on a certain cruise and they gave me credit. Would NCL do the same for you? I hope things get straightened out. So Frustrating! 

22 minutes ago, HBCcruiser said:

Like you, Princess did not have a record of my previous cruise too. I was able to send pictures proving I was on a certain cruise and they gave me credit. Would NCL do the same for you? I hope things get straightened out. So Frustrating! 

Their policy says no. I had a year to figure out they screwed up, but since we took a long break from cruising to do home improvements, I stopped checking prices and such, and didn't notice until a couple of days ago. It's okay, there are lots of cruise line options.

7 hours ago, TrumpyNor said:

That is the first thing I checked when I noticed my child-like status. 😉 BD is fine.

25 minutes ago, Kmkub said:

Their policy says no. I had a year to figure out they screwed up, but since we took a long break from cruising to do home improvements, I stopped checking prices and such, and didn't notice until a couple of days ago. It's okay, there are lots of cruise line options.

That stinks though. They should honor your past cruise. My opinion. 

50 minutes ago, HBCcruiser said:

That stinks though. They should honor your past cruise. My opinion. 

Agreed. It's pretty poopy policy. They clearly know it's an ongoing issue, otherwise, they wouldn't have created a policy about it. Instead of fixing it (by hiring quality DBAs,) they've opted to create a policy that punishes the customer for their bad processes.

It would be incredibly simple to create a query that finds any sailings not attached to a customer account. As to why they won't fix it - well, that tells me all I need to know about them. We sail in 18 days. I will attempt to fix it on board, but if I can't, they will lose us as customers forever.