Disposable Gloves

tjcletzgo

My advice:  as soon as you hear someone approaching you coughing or sneezing, turn around and walk the other way.  Do not walk into the line of fire as air borne molecules are spreading.  If you are in line and the person behind you starts coughing, get out of line.  If you are sitting in the theatre or some other large public area on the ship and someone directly behind you or in front of you starts coughing (the sick kind, deep and hoarse, not the kind of cough that a lot of older people have from blood pressure medication (the clearing of the throat side effect), get up and move to another spot. We also also carry with us disposal masks and we are not afraid to use them, whether it be on the ship, on an airplane or standing in line.  Who cares what other people think.  We also use disposable gloves on public transportation.  And we always carry purel with us. And we do not put anything into our mouth with purelling our hands.  Something people also forget is asking someone else to take your picture.  Clean your phone case after you ask someone to take your picture with your cell phone or camera.  Also bring your own pen with you and use your pen when signing any documents.  Clean your airline seat with sanitizer including the seat belt, the head rest, the window shade, the meal table.   I have flown quite a bit in the last year and travelled to various countries and have saved myself and my husband a lot of illness by following the above rules.  Handrails a number nasty number.  Everyone uses them.  One just has to think about what goes into ones mouth.  And one has to listen for the signs of illness.  Also, when someone tells you they are not feeling the best, move away.  On our last cruise, we sat with a couple and the husband said his wife was not feeling well.  Must be something she ate or drink.  Too much tequila.  Thank you very much.  Off we went.  Happy travels and get those gloves.  Costco is where we get ours.

8 hours ago, Daniel A said:

They took us down.  What happened?

I noticed that, too. 

As surely as night follows day, someone will hastily shoot off a pejorative laced message and the mods will step in thereby preventing adults from carrying on a perfectly civil conversation. 

My advice:  as soon as you hear someone approaching you coughing or sneezing, turn around and walk the other way.  Do not walk into the line of fire as air borne molecules are spreading.  If you are in line and the person behind you starts coughing, get out of line.  If you are sitting in the theatre or some other large public area on the ship and someone directly behind you or in front of you starts coughing (the sick kind, deep and hoarse, not the kind of cough that a lot of older people have from blood pressure medication (the clearing of the throat side effect), get up and move to another spot. We also also carry with us disposal masks and we are not afraid to use them, whether it be on the ship, on an airplane or standing in line.  Who cares what other people think.  We also use disposable gloves on public transportation.  And we always carry purel with us. And we do not put anything into our mouth with purelling our hands.  Something people also forget is asking someone else to take your picture.  Clean your phone case after you ask someone to take your picture with your cell phone or camera.  Also bring your own pen with you and use your pen when signing any documents.  Clean your airline seat with sanitizer including the seat belt, the head rest, the window shade, the meal table.   I have flown quite a bit in the last year and travelled to various countries and have saved myself and my husband a lot of illness by following the above rules.  Handrails a number nasty number.  Everyone uses them.  One just has to think about what goes into ones mouth.  And one has to listen for the signs of illness.  Also, when someone tells you they are not feeling the best, move away.  On our last cruise, we sat with a couple and the husband said his wife was not feeling well.  Must be something she ate or drink.  Too much tequila.  Thank you very much.  Off we went.  Happy travels and get those gloves.  Costco is where we get ours.

Nightengale,  Very very good reply and succinct education.  My son is a medical student and he regurgitates your points endlessly.  We take heed.  Especially with the hydration.  Water, water, water is is essential.  I became deathly ill last April.  In fact I was prevented from leaving the country in which I was visiting until I had no fever.   Another story for another day.   But if your system is not healthy to start, you will be more apt to succumb to noro, etc. on ship or airplane.   Since my illness and on the advice of my son, I have been drinking daily 8  500 ml bottles of water.  No more indigestion, bloating, snoring.   I have never felt better. And have lost, 40 pounds to boot (I was only 155 pounds to start, am a women of 5 foot five.   Since last April I have traveled extensively to six different countries, been on countless planes and several ships and have never succumbed to any illness.  I travel with masks, wash my hands continuously, singing happy birthday twice each time, use hand sanitizer, use moisturizer as well, stay away from sick people, walk away when I hear coughing and sneezing, sleep properly, take an advil when I am flying so I can relax.  Also, when I am on a cruise ship, and I come across a staff member who is sick (I can hear that person cough or I see that person touching their eyes or nose, I go to get food somewhere else.  Yeah, maybe I have become paranoid but a guy making omelettes who is wiping his nose, I do not want to be anywhere near those eggs.  A waiter who is coughing continuously, I will report to the guest services.  That person has no business in the food preparation or guest serving area.   These are all among many small changes I have made to my life since becoming so very ill.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, pink845 said:

Nightengale,  Very very good reply and succinct education.  My son is a medical student and he regurgitates your points endlessly.  We take heed.  Especially with the hydration.  Water, water, water is is essential.  I became deathly ill last April.  In fact I was prevented from leaving the country in which I was visiting until I had no fever.   Another story for another day.   But if your system is not healthy to start, you will be more apt to succumb to noro, etc. on ship or airplane.   Since my illness and on the advice of my son, I have been drinking daily 8  500 ml bottles of water.  No more indigestion, bloating, snoring.   I have never felt better. And have lost, 40 pounds to boot (I was only 155 pounds to start, am a women of 5 foot five.   Since last April I have traveled extensively to six different countries, been on countless planes and several ships and have never succumbed to any illness.  I travel with masks, wash my hands continuously, singing happy birthday twice each time, use hand sanitizer, use moisturizer as well, stay away from sick people, walk away when I hear coughing and sneezing, sleep properly, take an advil when I am flying so I can relax.  Also, when I am on a cruise ship, and I come across a staff member who is sick (I can hear that person cough or I see that person touching their eyes or nose, I go to get food somewhere else.  Yeah, maybe I have become paranoid but a guy making omelettes who is wiping his nose, I do not want to be anywhere near those eggs.  A waiter who is coughing continuously, I will report to the guest services.  That person has no business in the food preparation or guest serving area.   These are all among many small changes I have made to my life since becoming so very ill.

Some might call you paranoid. I call you darn smart!! Good going.

🤙

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ep010835 said:

I noticed that, too. 

As surely as night follows day, someone will hastily shoot off a pejorative laced message and the mods will step in thereby preventing adults from carrying on a perfectly civil conversation. 

Well, enjoy.  Until the next time - smooth sailing.

8 hours ago, Grburkart said:

I agree with the glove sentiment and using the hand sanitizers, wash basins and what have you. But sit back for ten minutes and watch the people that use the buffet and you’ll realize hand sanitization is the least of our worries.

Glenn 

So true and that is the main reason we almost never eat in the buffet no matter how long a cruise we are on.....and have never been sick on a cruise ship either....

7 hours ago, floridalover5623 said:

Currently on the Regal, no more salt & pepper shakers on tables. They will shake it on your food or in your hand when requested. :classic_blink:

Is this new practice confined to the buffet or ship wide?

20 minutes ago, Ep010835 said:

I'm not sure if they were doing it in the DR also. We went to the buffet for the last 3 nights. Even on the last formal night where the buffet had outstanding food in comparison.

I asked one of the supervisors as to why & didn't get a direct answer. He muttered something about being cautious.

Even though they were applying salt & pepper to your food there were no other precautions taken, such as serving yourself at the buffet. 

8 hours ago, floridalover5623 said:

Currently on the Regal, no more salt & pepper shakers on tables. They will shake it on your food or in your hand when requested. :classic_blink:

Geez Louise!

Is it me? Or is this getting out of hand (no pun intended)? 

Surely we can’t be that diligent. I’m not against hygiene and proper hand washing, etc. but in the real world we interact with people, shaking hands and the such. 

In this case, touching a salt/pepper shaker is cause for concern. I say phooey to that. We’re not putting our hands in the salt and pepper, just dispensing it. 

Plus we have what’s known as an immunity system built into our bodies. 

What’s next? Will we not be allowed to touch the eating utensils? In which case we will have to be fed manually. 

Glenn

32 minutes ago, Ep010835 said:

It may be that there was a PAX or crew member who turned up sick and ship's doctor implemented additional protocols to be extra vigilant.  It could be that a sick person did report they ate in the buffet exclusively.  Has anyone else seen this on any ships other than Regal?

1 minute ago, Daniel A said:

It may be that there was a PAX or crew member who turned up sick and ship's doctor implemented additional protocols to be extra vigilant.  It could be that a sick person did report they ate in the buffet exclusively.  Has anyone else seen this on any ships other than Regal?

But why limit it to only the salt & pepper shakers? The sugar dispensers were still on the tables.

Also people were using the tongs to serve themselves as usual. You could also go to the beverage dispenser & get your own drinks if you wanted. 

Strange. 

There's a great product called Sani-Cloth that is both ant-bacterial and anti-viral.  It has the same anti-viral agent that's in the cleaners used by the ship's crew to clean the tables, handrails, etc.  You can get 50 individual packets from Amazon for ~$10.  We use them and have never been sick, and we love the buffet.

I don't pack gloves because they do nothing for airborne illness. But then I also don't go to the buffet because there's nothing up there that I want and cannot get in the International Cafe. What I do do is wash my hands frequently, carry my own hand sanitizer, and used their lotion liberally as the 1st two tend to dry my hands out. I also don't need to use the rails when I go up-and-down stairs so that helps me out maybe a little more than some others. But the idea of sticking gloves on does not appeal to me. The idea of going thru a tube of hand lotion every 2 days is much better for me IMHO

On 1/13/2019 at 4:23 PM, tjcletzgo said:

Hello!  My last 2 cruises I got a bad cold on the ship, once at the beginning and once at the end.  I want to purchase  disposable glove for the buffet as well as other high visited areas.  Can anyone recommend a box of gloves, the loose fitting ones at the cheapest price?

Thanks for any advice 🙂

I do not think wearing gloves will stop you from catching bad colds, flu etc.  Hand washing and following the basic hygiene rules is what will minimise the problem.  If wearing gloves stopped colds universally, everybody would be seen wearing them.

I think most illness on board come from other sources.  The air conditioning can make your throat very dry particularly on a very cold setting replicating a heavy cold coming on.  I set mine at neutral overnight and leave a sink full of water to introduce a slightly more humid atmosphere.  Swimming and getting ones head under water with ingress to ones ears is a secondary source for younger cruisers.

Regards John