Disposable Gloves

tjcletzgo

Thank you Nightengale31. I learned several things reading your post. Really helpful.

I would add one thing. Passengers that cough (sometimes many times over) and do not cover their mouths as they wander around or even worse eat are certainly worthy of a strong social reprimand. Without fail there have been some people doing this on every cruise we have ever been on.

OK folks, bleach (Clorox wipes) and alcohol (Purel) have the potential of killing the Noro virus. If you keep a surface or your hands WET with bleach for 5 minutes or using 100% alcohol keeping things wet for 15 minutes, the Noro will be gone.  Since Purel is 70%, you would have to keep them WET 21+ minutes. While there is an industrial product that claims to work, that's not what is being provided. Purel will move Noro from point A to point B, that's all 

28 minutes ago, jlp20 said:

OK folks, bleach (Clorox wipes) and alcohol (Purel) have the potential of killing the Noro virus. If you keep a surface or your hands WET with bleach for 5 minutes or using 100% alcohol keeping things wet for 15 minutes, the Noro will be gone.  Since Purel is 70%, you would have to keep them WET 21+ minutes. While there is an industrial product that claims to work, that's not what is being provided. Purel will move Noro from point A to point B, that's all 

Bleach on your hands for five minutes....  I think more than Noro would be gone

• Like 2

17 hours ago, TracieABD said:

Yes! I poke elevator buttons with my elbow, don't touch handrails, carry wipes with me for planes and subways...

I really hate getting sick

Whenever I am in an elevator, I always use my knuckle to press the button.  It's not always practical to use your elbows.  Better yet, I don't stand near the control panel and ask someone else to press the button for me! 

Now, if I can only get someone else to fill my plate at the buffet...

Edited by Daniel A
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, john watson said:

I understand the Royal Class ships have wash basins just as you enter the buffet.  Can someone advise me whether flannels are provided for people who want to do a strip wash or does everyone just have to make do

Regards John

I will close my eyes 😂😂😂

47 minutes ago, john watson said:

I understand the Royal Class ships have wash basins just as you enter the buffet.  Can someone advise me whether flannels are provided for people who want to do a strip wash or does everyone just have to make do

Regards John

A few people use them but most walk right past. Its your choice & no one forces you to use them.

They are handy for washing your fingers when leaving the buffet instead of licking them clean. :classic_dry:

2 hours ago, Daniel A said:

Whenever I am in an elevator, I always use my knuckle to press the button.  It's not always practical to use your elbows.  Better yet, I don't stand near the control panel and ask someone else to press the button for me! 

Now, if I can only get someone else to fill my plate at the buffet...

So you do trust that their hands are cleaner than your own I see. :classic_tongue:

• 3 weeks later...

Think about it folks. All rubber gloves do is keep the wearers hands clean.  As soon as any surface is touched while wearing the gloves, they are contaminated.

Think about that the next time you see a food worker wearing gloves. See what else they are touching besides your food.

Wearing gloves are not going to protect you. The gloves will pick up contaminants as fast as your hands. And unless you know how to remove them properly, you will contaminate your hands when you remove them anyway. Wash your hands frequently and use a hand sanitizer before you put your hands to your mouth  - smoking, eating, picking your teeth etc.  RIGHT BEFORE - after you have handled the menu, the salt and pepper, etc. And in between, handle the dessert menu - sanitize your hands. Your sanitizer should have at least 62% alcohol. If you can get 70% alcohol it MAY be effective against Noroviruses, but the jury is still out.

• Like 1

On 1/16/2019 at 9:06 PM, RMMariner said:

Thank you Nightengale31. I learned several things reading your post. Really helpful.

I would add one thing. Passengers that cough (sometimes many times over) and do not cover their mouths as they wander around or even worse eat are certainly worthy of a strong social reprimand. Without fail there have been some people doing this on every cruise we have ever been on.

Wow......we have the Princess fashion police.....Princess chair hog police....Princess theater seat saver police and now the Princess hygiene police....worry about yourself and not others and do not harass them because you are a germaphobe......why even leave your house if you are afraid of living....

In all fairness to the cruise industry, the number of passengers who contract norovirus or other gastrointestinal illnesses on a cruise ship is actually quite small. The Cruise Lines International Association says only 0.01 percent of passengers were afflicted with norovirus while on a cruise last year.  You are way much more likely to get sick at home by visiting stores, schools, theaters, malls, airports.....anywhere people gather in groups and confined spaces....

Edited by PrincessLuver

I agree with the glove sentiment and using the hand sanitizers, wash basins and what have you. But sit back for ten minutes and watch the people that use the buffet and you’ll realize hand sanitization is the least of our worries.

Glenn 

If you are routinely coming down with a cold during a cruise, chances are you acquired those germs in transit to the cruise ship - airplane and/or hotel room. We have started wiping down the armrests, tray table, etc, on the planes, washing hands like fiends when in airports, on planes and staying in hotels, Prevention begins before boarding the ship, and continues once on board. There is no substitute for hand washing (and face masks, but that is another story outside of Asia) as if your life depended upon it. 

We also pay attention to trying to keep our immune systems in tip top shape all the time, get our shots (distemper, rabies, flu, pneumonia, etc. {just kidding about distemper and rabies but we do keep our tetanus, hepatitis current}) and up the zinc before travel. 

On 1/14/2019 at 2:31 AM, Nightengale31 said:

I have been an R.N. going on 41 years and the last 20 of those years working as a triage nurse at a VA primary care clinic so I am going to try to give you some professional practical recommendations regarding your concerns.

The common cold is a viral upper respiratory infection which is spread by droplet aerosolization which means infected droplets of respiratory secretions through the mechanisms of coughing, sneezing, and not fully contained nose blowing by an infected individual enter the air as droplets which can then enter your respiratory tract if you breath these droplets in. If your immune system is not up to snuff and not able to destroy these invading viruses then you too can contract the same respiratory virus contained in the droplets. Outside of the body these respiratory viruses do not have a long life while floating in the air or landing on surfaces because they need the food source of a human host to remain alive and active. So, wearing gloves offers little help in protection from these type of viruses because if the infected droplets land on your gloved hand and you touch your face around your nose and mouth those droplets are still on the gloves and can enter either orifice and can still infect. This is why frequent hand washing and face washing and use of hand sanitizer and facial wipes offers greater protection because you are removing frequently the infected droplets that may have landed on your hands and face. And for those who choose to use protective masks they too need to be changed frequently because once they become moist from your own secretions their protective barrier becomes less and less effective the moister the mask gets.

Noro Virus, Salmonella, E Coli, etc. are gastrointestional infections which mechanism of contraction is the fecal oral route. Transmission of these gastrointestional illnesses can happen in several ways. Most often on cruise ships those who have these infections that produce infected diarrhea and vomitus do not adequately wash their hands after having a bout of diarrhea and vomiting then go on to touch surfaces which can include food serving utensils  along with food in the buffet. Then the next person comes along and uses that contaminated utensil or goes on to ingest the food that has been touched by the infected individual and this is the most common mechanism of how these GI infections spread. The same can happen when an infected individual prepares food in an unsanitary manner. Although not as frequent, infected diarrhea particles can remain in the water of public bathroom toilets, and the next individual who uses that toilet through their flushing those infected particles can aerosolize in the air and enter one's mouth and go on to cause infection. This is one of the reasons why when there is a Noro outbreak on a ship it is recommended to try to not use the public restrooms. So again, unless you change your gloves as frequently as you would wash your hands they offer no better protection than good handwashing with an antibacterial soap or use of sanitizer when the ability to wash your hands is not available. I would only recommend use of gloves as a barrier to prevent skin infections such as Staff and MRSA for those individuals who have open wounds and lesions on their hands such as in the case of  bleeding/weeping eczema because their skin being their first line of defense against these types of infections is not intact and too frequent washing with antibacterial soaps which are very drying can worsen their skin problems.

So in a nutshell this old nurse recommends first and foremost in the protection against contracting these infectious illnesses is the maintenance of you own health. Strong immune systems begin in the gut, so maintaining high levels of good gut bacteria which kills the infection causing bad organisms which can be enhanced by simply eating yogurt or if your doctor approves taking OTC probiotics. Maintaining proper hydration is also another must to ward off dehydration which dehydration dries out the mucous membranes of the mouth and nose which can cause these delicate tissues to crack open allowing germs to enter and set up house. Rule of thumb, if you get to the point you are experiencing thirst then you are already low level dehydrated and down a liter give or take of body fluid volume so don't wait to experience thirst before you take that drink of water. Consumption of alcohol is very dehydrating and to a lesser extent coffee and tea. So to prevent any of these liquids causing you to become dehydrated drink equal if not more water along with them. Adequate rest is also very important. Taking short naps and just lying down for a 1/2 an hour or so throughout the day gives all the functions of your body time to recharge from all the energy it has expended on activities is does not usually do while cruising. And a great deal of that energy is expended digesting foods, and as we cruisers know we are eating more frequently and in larger quantities than we do on a day to day basis in our everyday lives. 

And lastly, those cold symptoms that show up on day 2 of your cruise if you flew to the port it is likely the airplane where you caught your cold and not on the cruise ship. The air quality on most planes is not very good, and that along with being in such tight quarters with a large number of individuals all breathing in an out the same stale air this is a very ripe environment for the spread of upper respiratory infections.

👍

• Like 1