Disposable Gloves

tjcletzgo

3 hours ago, Diver2014 said:

The Purell stands were at every entrance to the Horizon Courts and there was an 'attendant' standing there pointing it out to people who entered. Jus' sayin'

Got some reliable info on the last cruises on the Regal and the CB that the sanitizer is being phased out or at least not as available.

Having this available tends to have some skip hand washing and rely in the sanitizer which is not good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tonit964 said:

Easy, you hear the flush, then a couple of seconds later, you hear the door as they leave. No water, soap or dryer sounds.

I had a coworker that did this, it was disgusting.

Exactly...........there are always those that don't care because it's their cruise.

They tend to stand out in the crowd if you know what I mean.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

I can't tell you how many times I have watched people eating while they are in the buffet line, licking their fingers (literally) and then grabbing the spoon handles (so gross). I will more than likely  be wearing gloves this trip. Bacteria and I do not get along well. 

Or worse, grabbed the food directly (rolls, deserts, fruits, etc...) without using tongs!  :classic_ohmy:  But I will follow the good nurse's guidelines as outlined above.  Thank you good nurse!

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 9:23 AM, tjcletzgo said:

Hello!  My last 2 cruises I got a bad cold on the ship, once at the beginning and once at the end.  I want to purchase  disposable glove for the buffet as well as other high visited areas.  Can anyone recommend a box of gloves, the loose fitting ones at the cheapest price?

Thanks for any advice 🙂

Colds are airborne viruses.  So stay out of elevators and other confined spaces as much as you can.  One sneeze and everyone who is in that elevator (or other enclosed space) is going to be exposed to the virus.

Now, if you're concerned about Noro, that is most often passed along by touching something with the virus on it and conveying it to an entry point on your body, mouth, eyes, etc.  Nitrile gloves at Walgreens aren't expensive.  However, if you don't need something that strong, there are latex gloves at beauty supply shops, like Sally's,  which will shield your hands when going through the buffet line.  They are pretty lightweight.  But for short-term use, they may be OK.   

Thank you very, very much Nightengale31. Saw your post this morning and knew that I had to sit down with adequate time to read and thoroughly digest it. 

All of your advice seems to me, a non-medical type but with a wee bit of common sense, to be spot on. Your time and effort in putting this together our everyone's consumption is greatly appreciated!!

On 1/13/2019 at 8:23 AM, tjcletzgo said:

at the cheapest price?

Concerned about your health, but on the cheap. Colds are also airborne, so gloves wont help. While they may help with Noro, there are handrails, public tables and elevator buttons everywhere. If you want to stay healthy, KEEP YOUR FINGERS OUT OF YOUR MOUTH NOSE AND EYES.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jlp20 said:

Concerned about your health, but on the cheap. Colds are also airborne, so gloves wont help. While they may help with Noro, there are handrails, public tables and elevator buttons everywhere. If you want to stay healthy, KEEP YOUR FINGERS OUT OF YOUR MOUTH NOSE AND EYES.

Nicely done. The entire discussion summed up in a couple of sentences. You get today's award for brevity and accuracy!!

Try Harbor Freight. Different types, thickness and sizes.

If we think we are in need of a hand washing, we WASH OUR HANDS. Since normal Purel does NOTHING to the Noro virus, but gives false sense of security, we never use the stuff. 

Side note, wife went to senior center for Flu shot and had to wait around for about an hour. That was on a Thursday, on Saturday she started three days of classic Noro symptoms. No food, handrails or elevator buttons. Just 300 nasty people with questionable hygiene. 

5 minutes ago, jlp20 said:

Since normal Purel does NOTHING to the Noro virus, but gives false sense of security, we never use the stuff. 

(excerpted from the link below)........The fact that hand sanitizer does not kill norovirus is particularly important to remember if you are going on a cruise, ......

https://www.verywellhealth.com/should-you-use-hand-sanitizer-770727

and 

https://www.verywellhealth.com/should-you-use-hand-sanitizer-770727

So we can moan and groan about all the nasty people and their habits however we are responsible for putting our hands on our face or mouth.  That is what we can control.  Wash your hands often, do not touch your face.  Gloves can get the virus on them and be transferred just like your hands.  The virus can be in the air or food as well but can't really stop breathing or eating.

• Like 1

One of the practices by some of the Dining Room staff is to set out the cutlery and then place the menu on top of it. I dislike this practice and now grab the cutlery and put it aside. This was even being done on a cruise with a noro outbreak.

1 hour ago, MGAfhc said:

One of the practices by some of the Dining Room staff is to set out the cutlery and then place the menu on top of it. I dislike this practice and now grab the cutlery and put it aside. This was even being done on a cruise with a noro outbreak.

I also don't like how they place the cutlery wrapped in napkins on the table in a container in the buffet. The last thing I want is someone who is sick or hasn't washed their hands  reaching in and grabbing their's.  Just a thought. 

Edited by MsSoCalCruiser

On January 13, 2019 at 9:06 AM, TracieABD said:

You may be able to get some from your doctor, as well.

Remember- try to touch nothing that is public. Also, keep your hands away from your face, neck, and hair.

Good luck!

Our hair too? Thank you for that information because I never even thought of that. I am really bad for rubbing my eyes and I have to remember not to do that. 

I know it is commonly reported that since cruise lines have a requirement to report noro at a fairly low threshold whereas hotels, restaurants, planes, etc. where folks get exposed but don't realize it until days later do not/cannot. 

I have a serious question for those of you going above and beyond frequent hand washing and using the Purell stations if available: do you do the same when you go to restaurants at home, ride elevators, use shopping carts, visit theaters, use transit (including planes, trains, subways, taxis, Uber, etc.)? 

Thanks.

1 hour ago, capriccio said:

I have a serious question for those of you going above and beyond frequent hand washing and using the Purell stations if available: do you do the same when you go to restaurants at home, ride elevators, use shopping carts, visit theaters, use transit (including planes, trains, subways, taxis, Uber, etc.)? 

Emphatically, YES. I always have a small bottle of Purell in my pocket. I open doors with anything other than my fingers. And press elevator (and other buttons) with a knuckle or an elbow. ETC..........

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Our hair too? Thank you for that information because I never even thought of that. I am really bad for rubbing my eyes and I have to remember not to do that. 

Germs stick to hair. I was an elementary special ed teacher- some decades back... You learn very quickly how to avoid germs.

2 hours ago, capriccio said:

I know it is commonly reported that since cruise lines have a requirement to report noro at a fairly low threshold whereas hotels, restaurants, planes, etc. where folks get exposed but don't realize it until days later do not/cannot. 

Thanks.

Yes! I poke elevator buttons with my elbow, don't touch handrails, carry wipes with me for planes and subways...

I really hate getting sick

16 minutes ago, TracieABD said:

Germs stick to hair. I was an elementary special ed teacher- some decades back... You learn very quickly how to avoid germs.

Wow!  The things you learn on CC.  I'll pass that on to my daughter who is a special ed teacher and is always sick when schools in session.

1 minute ago, 1emerald1 said:

Wow!  The things you learn on CC.  I'll pass that on to my daughter who is a special ed teacher and is always sick when schools in session.

When I was teaching, I would always have my very long hair pulled back into a tight bun- and would spray my hair down with hairspray. Lots of hairspray... that prevented some other unwanted creatures. :classic_ohmy:

• Haha 1

When infection control training is done for first responders, use of gloves is only a piece of an effective infection control program.  One must remove the gloves properly both to avoid having your skin contact the contaminated exterior of the glove and if the glove is 'snapped' during removal it can aerosolize pathogens which were on the surface of the glove.  Ask your doctor to show you the proper way to remove gloves without touching the exterior.  (Amazingly, a lot of medical professionals do not know how to remove gloves without touching the exterior!)  After removing the gloves, proper handwashing must be done as soon as is possible.  If available, an anti microbial soap should be used for the hand washing (something like Vionex or Vionexus or similar product.)  In any event, proper handwashing is always necessary after removing gloves correctly and before eating, drinking, smoking or applying makeup.

Just slapping on a pair of gloves you bought at Walgreens isn't going to protect you if you don't wash your hands or use the hand sanitizer.  Rather, wearing gloves may give one a false sense of security and make the wearer take risks they wouldn't have taken if they weren't wearing gloves.  You should be just as protected, if not, more protected if you used a hand sanitizer or regular handwashing instead.  Carry a small bottle with you and use the sanitizer when you are seated and about to eat. 

Remember, "Washy washy..."