First Time Cruiser - Dinner Attire

Willie Joe

Hello. My husband and I will be sailing with Regent for the first time in February. This is not only our first time with Regent, but our first time to cruise. It’s taken 25 years for me to convince him he might not hate it. We knew we were not big boat folks right away and Regent sounds wonderful.

My question for you all is what really needs to be worn for dinner? I have read the Regent dress code many times and find it to be like one of those nebulous office invitations, you know...festive casual, business smart, etc. I understand no jeans or shorts. That part’s easy. Normally I could just buzz a co-worker, but not here. Please help.

Aloha WJ,

Just departed Seven Seas Voyager last week.   Our cruise encompassed the New Years celebration and had opportunities for all manner of dining opportunities.  As you have already stated your basic understanding of the Elegant Casual theme, here is what we saw and have continuously experienced on Regent.

As long as your attire after six includes or exceeds collared shirts and slacks for men and similar styled blouses, skirts, dresses and/or pant for ladies you will more than fit in and be comfortably attired.  Most of the men and women do opt to accessorize their dinner dress in the Specialty Restaurants and many in Compass Rose with a sport coat (with or without tie) and / or an cocktail(?) dress.  

On the nights of New Years Eve and the New Years Dinner a majority of diners did ‘Dress up’ and it was more common to see upscale dress than simple casual, but those who didn’t dress up were welcomed and not looked at unfavorably.

Bottom Line:  Regent will accept you as you feel comfortable presenting yourself.  Within the Elegant Casual theme.

• Like 1

I think your choice depends to a certain extent on how much you care what other people might think. I personally don’t much care what others think, although I know that some people are almost obsessive about it. 

If a man’s shirt has a collar and his pants aren’t denim he complies with the code. Our first cruise was a Regent Alaska cruise last year. At my most casual I wore chinos and a polo shirt, and I felt fine. The more casual dress code was a major contributor to my decision to choose Regent. 

Edited by jeb_bud
Spelling correction
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jeb_bud said:

I think your choice depends to a certain extent on how much you care what other people might think. I personally don’t much care what others think, although I know that some people are almost obsessive about it. 

If a man’s shirt has a collar and his pants aren’t denim he complies with the code. Our first cruise was a Regent Alaska cruise last year. At my most casual I wore chinos and a polo shirt, and I felt fine. The more casual dress code was a major contributor to my decision to choose Regent. 

Agree with you.  Regent's dress code is fairly simple.  There are men that will wear a suit and tie, other that wear a sports jacket and still others that wear a polo shirt.  The nights of the Captain's Reception and Farewell and in the specialty restaurants, many men tend to dress up a bit but it is not required.

MalbecWine - I assume that you were joking with your comment.  Obviously, a collared polo shirt and short sleeved collared shirt  are not the same as a dress shirt.  A long sleeve dress shirt exceeds a collared polo shirt.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jeb_bud said:

50 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Agree with you.  Regent's dress code is fairly simple.  There are men that will wear a suit and tie, other that wear a sports jacket and still others that wear a polo shirt.  The nights of the Captain's Reception and Farewell and in the specialty restaurants, many men tend to dress up a bit but it is not required.

MalbecWine - I assume that you were joking with your comment.  Obviously, a collared polo shirt and short sleeved collared shirt  are not the same as a dress shirt.  A long sleeve dress shirt exceeds a collared polo shirt.

I also agree with you--I think it's best not to care of what others think and be yourself at all times as long as your pleasant about it.  Just an FYI we did see denim (jeans-not designe type) in the dining rooms on Regent.

33 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

I also agree with you--I think it's best not to care of what others think and be yourself at all times as long as your pleasant about it.  Just an FYI we did see denim (jeans-not designe type) in the dining rooms on Regent.

There will always be people that want to bend the rules.  Sometimes they are caught - sometimes they are are reported -- sometimes they get away with it.  However, this does not mean that Regent passengers should not respect Regent's dress code.

Before people book Regent, they know the dress code.  If they cannot abide by it, do not sail on Regent!!!!!!  Hoping that this does not become yet another horrible thread on dress codes.  In my opinion, no one is right except Regent.

• Like 2

From the Regent Website: 

"Attire ranges from Casual to Formal Optional. Casual wear consists of resort-style outfits; some examples are jeans, shorts, t-shirts, and tennis shoes. Casual wear is appropriate for daytime both on board or ashore. Casual wear is not appropriate after 6:00 PM, with the exceptions of while dining at the Pool Grill or Pool Bar and on the final evening of the cruise....

The recommended onboard dress in the evenings is Elegant Casual. Dinner dress for ladies includes a skirt, or slacks with a blouse or sweater, a pant suit or dress; slacks and a collared shirt for gentlemen. Sport jackets are optional. Casual wear is not to be worn at dinner, once again with the exceptions of while dining at the Pool Grill and on the final evening of the cruise. Ties are not required."

5 hours ago, daetchief said:

Aloha WJ,

Just departed Seven Seas Voyager last week.   Our cruise encompassed the New Years celebration and had opportunities for all manner of dining opportunities.  As you have already stated your basic understanding of the Elegant Casual theme, here is what we saw and have continuously experienced on Regent.

As long as your attire after six includes or exceeds collared shirts and slacks for men and similar styled blouses, skirts, dresses and/or pant for ladies you will more than fit in and be comfortably attired.  Most of the men and women do opt to accessorize their dinner dress in the Specialty Restaurants and many in Compass Rose with a sport coat (with or without tie) and / or an cocktail(?) dress.  

On the nights of New Years Eve and the New Years Dinner a majority of diners did ‘Dress up’ and it was more common to see upscale dress than simple casual, but those who didn’t dress up were welcomed and not looked at unfavorably.

Bottom Line:  Regent will accept you as you feel comfortable presenting yourself.  Within the Elegant Casual theme.

Thank you for your comments. We are really looking forward to the cruise and we (ok, me) want to bring the right things. 

1 hour ago, Travelcat2 said:

There will always be people that want to bend the rules.  Sometimes they are caught - sometimes they are are reported -- sometimes they get away with it.  However, this does not mean that Regent passengers should not respect Regent's dress code.

Before people book Regent, they know the dress code.  If they cannot abide by it, do not sail on Regent!!!!!!  Hoping that this does not become yet another horrible thread on dress codes.  In my opinion, no one is right except Regent.

No jeans being packed. I agree about the dress code. Regent is very upfront about jeans.

50 minutes ago, Ep010835 said:

I’ve always found nice black jeans (sans holes or other similar irregularities) and a nice sports/polo shirt to be acceptable anytime, anywhere on the ship. 

Dinner included. 

Not sure why you think that it is acceptable on Regent when they state daily (in Passages) that jeans (any color - any price) are not permitted.  

Willie Joe - you definitely understand the policy and will not even have to think about it once you are onboard:classic_biggrin:

We have devoted Regent friends who have told us that dress jeans black with a collared shirt and jacket have never been a problem for them and trust me they are smart dressers.  Regent may state one thing but they seem not to enforce it if you look nice.  I can see black jeans not blue jeans.  We don’t pay attention to what other people wear anyway.

10 hours ago, Willie Joe said:

No jeans being packed. I agree about the dress code. Regent is very upfront about jeans.

There are jeans and then there are -  jeans.   I have blue denim ones which I would not dream of wearing to dinner or a bar on board.   And then I have white, fitted designer ones which topped with a lovely blouse or sweater look great.  And similar green ones as well.    I haven't had a problem wearing the coloured variety - as of yet.   (Husband doesn't own any jeans so he is fine!!)

47 minutes ago, Ep010835 said:

Black jeans are indistinguishable from black slacks. Unless, of course, the observer gets closer that I would want him/her getting anyway. 

Perfectly said and funny as well.  We just went to New York Prime the other night for a birthday event and it is $$$$$ and their dress code is dressy casual and we saw people men and women in dressy jeans white for women and and solid black for men accompanied with nice tops and jackets for gentlemen.

i do object to torn jeans which seems to be the younger generation wearing them and the current fashion at Hugo Boss, Nordstrom’s and Saks for way too much money.

Here we go again.  It is a matter of respect - not how trying to get away with something and Regent doesn't care if your black jeans cost $1,000, they do not want you to wear them after 6:00 p.m.  Why is this such a difficult concept to understand?

Willie Joe is new to cruising and understood the dress code and is happy to comply.  In my opinion, telling someone new to Regent that you can get away with black (or white) jeans does a disservice to the Thread Starter.

• Like 1

Well I guess the fashion police are not following their own policy.  As mentioned by another poster you can’t tell solid black jeans from black slacks.  Really nobody will notice unless you are way too close and check the fabric or a lady in white jeans with a nice top and nice shoes. We have seen people in non jeans look like they just rolled out of bed in their clothes and that’s acceptable?

1 hour ago, MalbecWine said:

Well I guess the fashion police are not following their own policy.  As mentioned by another poster you can’t tell solid black jeans from black slacks.  Really nobody will notice unless you are way too close and check the fabric or a lady in white jeans with a nice top and nice shoes. We have seen people in non jeans look like they just rolled out of bed in their clothes and that’s acceptable?

You are missing the point.  The point is that Regent has a dress code and it behooves us to follow it.  That simple!

Yes - there are people that wear clothing that does not suit them but they are following the dress code and that is what counts.  The only fashion police are the people that greet you at the entrance of the dining venues and lounges.  If they detect jeans or shorts, you will be asked to go back to your suite and change.  When it turns 6:00 p.m. in the lounges and you are still dressed in shorts and a t-shirt or jeans, you will be asked to change once you finish your drink.

Another thing to keep in mind is that what people wear in upscale restaurants in Miami, New York, Chicago, Dallas, Los Angeles or Seattle can be completely different.  Just because you dress a certain way at home does not mean that it is okay on Regent.  Where we live, jeans are worn by almost everyone - nice jeans - ripped jeans - jeans with sports jackets, etc.  However, we do not pack jeans (of any color) when we sail in Regent.  Even though they are fine during the day, denim can be hot to wear and they are heavy to pack.  

Stressing once again that the TS is new to Regent AND new to cruising.  Explaining how to get around Regent's dress code is unbecoming for a Regent cruiser.

Edited by Travelcat2
  • Like 1

That is your opinion and we have never been asked to leave any restaurant in black dress jeans on Crystal, Seabourn, Silversea on casual evenings.  Our friends are Titanium and wear dressy jeans and have never had an issue on Regent’s ships over the many years they have sailed.

For Pete sakes it just a black fabric.  As I have mentioned we have seen worse dressed people not properly dressed and we have seen some spectacular women dressed in white jeans in dressed in a sparkly top and high heels and perfect makeup who would never be denied into any dining venue.  

Let the Maitre’d decide what is acceptable or not. We mind our own busines and don’t police other people like some others.

Of course shorts and T-Shirts are not acceptable.or torn pants of any kind in the evening.  I dare you to even notice black jeans against black denim creased and well ironed.

3 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

You are missing the point.  The point is that Regent has a dress code and it behooves us to follow it.  That simple!

Yes - there are people that wear clothing that does not suit them but they are following the dress code and that is what counts.  The only fashion police are the people that greet you at the entrance of the dining venues and lounges.  If they detect jeans or shorts, you will be asked to go back to your suite and change.  When it turns 6:00 p.m. in the lounges and you are still dressed in shorts and a t-shirt or jeans, you will be asked to change once you finish your drink.

Another thing to keep in mind is that what people wear in upscale restaurants in Miami, New York, Chicago, Dallas, Los Angeles or Seattle can be completely different.  Just because you dress a certain way at home does not mean that it is okay on Regent.  Where we live, jeans are worn by almost everyone - nice jeans - ripped jeans - jeans with sports jackets, etc.  However, we do not pack jeans (of any color) when we sail in Regent.  Even though they are fine during the day, denim can be hot to wear and they are heavy to pack.  

Stressing once again that the TS is new to Regent AND new to cruising.  Explaining how to get around Regent's dress code is unbecoming for a Regent cruiser.

Sorry but actually you're wrong about Regent has a dress code--if they did they would enforce it period.  On our last cruise on Mariner in the main dinning room (CR), one of the entertainers came into the dinning room in light blue jeans, nice shirt and was seated with no problem.  There was no way a person wouldn't have notice the jeans.  Regent did nothing and knew how he was dressed and did nothing about it.  I really don't care because he looked nicely dressed, and Regent didn't care.  Sorry but that is the way it is..........and he wasn't the only person during the cruise that wear jeans to dinner.  Again to have a policy you need to enforced it or it's not a policy.

On my recent Explorer cruise, I saw (in all of the dining venues) numerous individuals (men and women) in dress jeans in all colors coupled with a dressy blouse, dress or Hawaiian shirt, along with a sports jacket. No fashion police seemed to have a problem and, as others said, it is a much smarter look than some of the other dress code compliant clothing. We saw a woman, probably over 80, repeatedly wear mini skirt cocktail dresses.. not a pretty sight but totally compliant with the dress code. 

Thank you RonRick, if you look nice and not shabby and I doubt anyone is going to do a pants inspection.  People who sail on luxury lines are going to dress decently and men look dapper with a sports coat and dark jeans and possibly a tie.  I have seen men in kilts on luxury lines and that is totally acceptable.  No I did not ask about undergarments.  I wonder if they will check that?  LOL

Crystal at one time had three dress codes now they are down to two many casual and a few BTO Black Tie Optional nights.  Very few of the penguins seen on the ship.

You will always have the old guard argue with change and I remember when alcohol became all inclusive and people complained about that  guests would get drunk..did not happen.  Of course you have the occasional few that were over served.

When Crystal became open dining a few did not want it and complained but the majority are happy with it as we are.  You just can’t please everyone and you have the right to disagree with any poster respectfully.

Edited by MalbecWine