Oceania News - Insignia Refurb/Dom Perignon Dinner

Cruise Critic Chris

• Members

Wanted to make sure Oceania passengers saw our coverage from some recent events. We toured Insignia in New York (after the refurb) and also took part in a Dom Perignon experience that is rolling out on Riviera and Marina this month. Questions, let me know! 

1 hour ago, Cruise Critic Chris said:

Wanted to make sure Oceania passengers saw our coverage from some recent events. We toured Insignia in New York (after the refurb) and also took part in a Dom Perignon experience that is rolling out on Riviera and Marina this month. Questions, let me know! 

This sounds like a great dinner.

We'd especially be interested, as we tried a couple of the La Reserve dinners, and although we found the food *excellent*, we were quite disappointed by the wines.

That wouldn't be a problem with the Dom!

However, it does seem that it might be leading to a problem we had feared with La Reserve (and it did *not* turn out to be a problem), some of the current tendencies of modern chefs to be "ultra creative", seemingly trying to top one another in their "creativity", too often meaning combining strange - or just "too many" - unusual ingredients.

That came to mind with this description:

an "...appetizer of foie gras atop scallops served with roasted pineapple and a mole negro sauce..."

Maybe it all tastes better than it sounds as a combo-bite, but it seems to me to almost waste some excellent ingredients that could be more thoroughly enjoyed with less interference.

But then again, we are now old fuddy duddies, alas.

GC

20 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

Our first cruise is in 2020. Question right now I can pre book La Reserve in my booking. Will this New Dom Perignon be on my booking with Riviera where I can do the same.

Thanks

Denise😊

Are dates for La Reserve  showing  in MY ACCOUNT  on the O website?

I would think it is TOO early 

18 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Are dates for La Reserve  showing  in MY ACCOUNT  on the O website?

I would think it is TOO early 

Hi!

yes right now I can pre book and pay online for La Reserve. I just wondered about New Dom Pergnion. Since it is new probably will be awhile.

Denise😊

44 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

Hi!

yes right now I can pre book and pay online for La Reserve. I just wondered about New Dom Pergnion. Since it is new probably will be awhile.

Denise😊

Check the roll out dates in the article  then check later

It may be like the French dinner  where you could only book once onboard

time will tell

I am surprised  they have dates listed already for La Reserve  a year + out

3 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

However, it does seem that it might be leading to a problem we had feared with La Reserve (and it did *not* turn out to be a problem), some of the current tendencies of modern chefs to be "ultra creative", seemingly trying to top one another in their "creativity", too often meaning combining strange - or just "too many" - unusual ingredients.

That came to mind with this description:

an "...appetizer of foie gras atop scallops served with roasted pineapple and a mole negro sauce..."

Maybe it all tastes better than it sounds as a combo-bite, but it seems to me to almost waste some excellent ingredients that could be more thoroughly enjoyed with less interference.

But then again, we are now old fuddy duddies, alas.

GC

I agree with this sentiment - chefs sometimes do go a bit “over the top” in an effort to be creative.

Speaking specifically about foie gras - IMO, it is so delicious and unique in its taste on its own that I prefer it “naked” - it needs nothing further to enhance it in order to fully appreciate its flavor (other than maybe some toasted brioche) 🙂

Adding all those ingredients you listed above would be gilding the lily IMO.

Edited by Paulchili

5 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

I agree with this sentiment - chefs sometimes do go a bit “over the top” in an effort to be creative.

Speaking specifically about foie gras - IMO, it is so delicious and unique in its taste on its own that I prefer it “naked” - it needs nothing further to enhance it in order to fully appreciate its flavor (other than maybe some toasted brioche) 🙂

Adding all thos e ingredients you listed above would be gilding the lilly, IOM.

Well... I'm not sure it needs to go quite *that* far :classic_wink:

A tiny taste of cherry, for example, with that foie gras on a small piece of toasted brioche (perhaps moistened with some juices...).

Time to check the fridge...

GC

17 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Check the roll out dates in the article  then check later

It may be like the French dinner  where you could only book once onboard

time will tell

I am surprised  they have dates listed already for La Reserve  a year + out

To correct the record here, the French dinner (Cuisine Bourgeoise) can be booked prior to sailing--you just need to call in.

No idea about the Dom Perignon.

As discussed in another thread, La Reserve is running a 'Wine Bar' in the space on some nights they weren't doing one of the dinners. It was poorly advertised (often not even in Currents) and but for the La Reserve chief steward also being the Breakfast Manager in Waves, we would have never even heard about it. So no idea if the Dom Experience will get the high-visibility La Reserve treatment, or the very soft roll out of Wine Bar.

2 hours ago, Shawnino said:

no idea if the Dom Experience will get the high-visibility La Reserve treatment, or the very soft roll out of Wine Bar.

As with most "tests" they will probably wait to see how popular it is organically before advertising begins.

I just called and booked this Dinner during our cruise next month. It was only available for one evening of our 12 day cruise. The customer service rep had to call another unit there to get the detail information and dates. So we’re set for 2/13 on our over night in Bora Bora. 

Typically we always eat ashore when the ship overnights anywhere. Passing that up to try this new menu on the Marina. Hope it’s worth the cost and the missed evening ashore!

8 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Typically we always eat ashore when the ship overnights anywhere. Passing that up to try this new menu on the Marina. Hope it’s worth the cost and the missed evening ashore!

What is the cost for this dinner?

Probably less that the average dinner in FP even with DP :classic_biggrin:

Edited by Paulchili

It’s $295 each plus grats. With the beverage package you get a 20% discount knocked off the price, which roughly equals the grats so about $295 each.

I’m hoping they pour the Dom as freely as they do other wines at La Reserve dinners!😈

2 hours ago, ORV said:

I'm tempted as I will be on Marina for my next birthday in Sept. Also have a bit of OBC. I'm assuming we can use OBC in advance for it?

I think you can use OBC for most things prebooked for cruises  after the magic  date

May 19th 2019 😉

I wonder if this Dom-fest is the replacement for the Odyssey Menu.

When we were aboard Riviera on November we were told that Odyssey would be replaced in 2019--by what, he didn't know.

I might be a pleb, but I generally prefer Taittinger to Dom Perignon...

• Like 1