Credid card debited after cruise

We recently cruised The Christmas/ New Year on  the "Solstice" from Sydney to Sydney via NZ.  We had an on borad credit of $300US , on the last day I checked on our cabin TV and saw that we still had some credit of only a few dollars.  Imagine my surprise yesterday to see on my credit card a debit of $86 35 US  We thought we would have got a print out of our account on the last evening as this is was what happened on our previous cruises , both on Celebrity and other cruise lines.  As I thought we had some credit didn't think anymore about it. 

Now I would like to query this but am not sure who and where to go. 

Any suggestions please.

Thanks

pss We did enjoy our cruise, so not complaining and thought it was a lovely appointed ship, most comfortable beds, the staff excellant except for one or two in a couple of the bars. 

From what I've seen you don't get a printout of your account supplied on the last night if your account is in credit. That happened to us on one cruise on Princess.

You will need to ring Celebrity to find out what the additional charge is, it may be an error.

No they will still do an authorisation for security purposes in case you run up a massive bill when you run out of credit. I know this for a fact because I always keep my account in credit and they still do the authorisation just to confirm the card works and they can charge it if they have to.

According to the OP the amount was US $86.35, which would be a very strange hold amount. My guess is a bottle of wine, or a round of drinks, was charged to that account by mistake and somehow the charge didn't go through on the last night.

Not necessarily. Celebrity record holds for the charges each day as the cruise progresses, while a card is on file (rather than what other lines do of just testing a large potential amount).

$86.35 may be the charges for a day.

Thank you for all your replies, much appreciated. Went on the Celebrity web site and found  the office in Australia so have sent an email there . They responded with the usual reply that someone will get back to me. If I haven't heard by Friday I will make a phone call to the office.

We definitely didn't use anything from the mini bar. In fact I thought I had a good control on what I  spent, mostly it was extra $2 to $3 on a couple of drinks in the bar each night as we had a classic drinks package. plus a night at Munros and another in the Italian restaurant. 

1 hour ago, teigenes said:

Thank you for all your replies, much appreciated. Went on the Celebrity web site and found  the office in Australia so have sent an email there . They responded with the usual reply that someone will get back to me. If I haven't heard by Friday I will make a phone call to the office.

We definitely didn't use anything from the mini bar. In fact I thought I had a good control on what I  spent, mostly it was extra $2 to $3 on a couple of drinks in the bar each night as we had a classic drinks package. plus a night at Munros and another in the Italian restaurant. 

Good luck. You may want to contact your Credit card and tell them the charge/payment is in dispute.

4 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Good luck. You may want to contact your Credit card and tell them the charge/payment is in dispute.

Don't do that unless you're actually disputing it. 

It is either in dispute or not. If the bank registers it as a dispute and it turns out to be legitimate, you will be a debtor to RCL, which will then see you blacklisted from their ships.

There's enough time to dispute it if it actually came down to that, but I'm sure it can be resolved through regular means.

Definitely contact X.  Two months ago after cruise with P&O, my account was in credit due to returning an item I had purchased. Took 2 phone calls and 2 weeks to get money refunded by cheque.  No idea why they couldn’t use credit card I had registered, they said it had to be a cheque!

Take down details of who you speak to and date and time in case you have to do follow up calls.

Good luck, I believe the charge may be a hold but worth checking.

14 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

Not necessarily. Celebrity record holds for the charges each day as the cruise progresses, while a card is on file (rather than what other lines do of just testing a large potential amount).

$86.35 may be the charges for a day.

Agree - today on currency X - $60US is converting to $83.65AU

5 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Why is there a daily hold $60 when the account was in credit, I have not had that on my card ever, when I have credit in the sea board account.

Was going to ask that myself, but thought I had missed something everyone else knew 🥺

3 hours ago, Porky55 said:

Was going to ask that myself, but thought I had missed something everyone else knew 🥺

Because credit can get burnt down very quickly so they also want to check the credit card is valid. If it shows as pending it will drop off the system. 

8 hours ago, Pushka said:

Because credit can get burnt down very quickly so they also want to check the credit card is valid. If it shows as pending it will drop off the system. 

Perhaps they have my card on record but I have never had those holds put on my card (by a cruise line), even if it was not in credit.

45 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Perhaps they have my card on record but I have never had those holds put on my card (by a cruise line), even if it was not in credit.

I have. If you don’t happen to check your credit card when they have been charged and after a couple of days they drop off then you may never have seen them in the pending list. I’ve been concerned a couple of times and alerted the credit card then noticed in a couple of days they’d disappeared. When they are actually charged then that’s the time to contact the supplier first. If not happy then contact the credit card. There’s nothing that can be done whilst still pending. 

If this transaction has actually been charged and no idea why then it should be checked. 

Edited by Pushka

I have had a reply from Celebrity Australia, complete with a copy of our expenditure while on board.  This was all in order and no complaints about that. 

However, I was somewhat surprised that while my husband and I have a joint Visa account,  our OBC was seperate and at the end of the cruise, while I had  overspent mine by $86US,  Gary still had a credit and naturally assumed our total spending would be lumped together and there would be no charge to our Visa. I could have had a spend up with his credit had I known that !!!

I did know if one didn't spend the full OBC it would be forfeit at the end of the cruise.  Maybe its written somewhere that the OBC is per individual not couples but I don't recall that. Also while you can check your account on the TV its not always up to date.

So maybe I will be a bit wiser for next time!!

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, teigenes said:

I have had a reply from Celebrity Australia, complete with a copy of our expenditure while on board.  This was all in order and no complaints about that. 

However, I was somewhat surprised that while my husband and I have a joint Visa account,  our OBC was seperate and at the end of the cruise, while I had  overspent mine by $86US,  Gary still had a credit and naturally assumed our total spending would be lumped together and there would be no charge to our Visa. I could have had a spend up with his credit had I known that !!!

I did know if one didn't spend the full OBC it would be forfeit at the end of the cruise.  Maybe its written somewhere that the OBC is per individual not couples but I don't recall that. Also while you can check your account on the TV its not always up to date.

So maybe I will be a bit wiser for next time!!

Were your on board accounts linked ie. to the one credit card or did you  have seperate accounts, albeit paid by the same credit card?