Been a few years...have an embarkation question.

hillbillycruisers

9 hours ago, beachbum53 said:

I don't remember when the new check-in procedure had been put in place in Miami, but, based on what you've described, it doesn't sound like it had started yet the last time you were there. I believe you'll discover that the check-in and boarding procedures will be much better than the last time you cruised.

This was last week of September / Early October 2018 on Horizon as info. So Pretty recently.

9 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

It does not help. It does just the opposite, it leads to longer delays leaving the ship because people who shouldn’t be leaving the ship at that time are increasing the number of passengers trying to debark during that timeframe. It might have worked for you and others, but that is because Carnival is terrible at enforcing their own rules. 

9 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

It does not help.  If the debark is being run properly, no one except self assist priority should be even in the lobby area.  They are supposed to take priority self assist off the ship first and then self assist by decks so a mass of impatient peoples aren't clogging the elevators and stairs.

I see. I thought we were doing a good thing. Getting out of the way before the rush started. Sailed through with no wait, we were among the first off at 7:30ish. When we've waited on them to call our floor in the past, it's been an hour sitting in the room waiting on them to call our floor and then an hour in various lines. They definitely need to improve the process.

32 minutes ago, teknoge3k said:

Priority embarkation is just one of the few perks of FTTF.  You're not auto-assigned a check-in time with FTTF. With FTTF you still have to pick a check-in time for the terminal. You just get to ignore that check-in time if you have FTTF. Otherwise you may have to stand in the "early/late" line, depending on which port you're at.

Even with FTTF you could still have the same check-in time as Joe Blow. You could both have a check-in time of 12:30. The only difference is that Joe has to wait until 12:30 to check-in, whereas with FTTF you could be sitting on the ship at 10:30 eating. Joe would still be waiting in the "early/late" line. 

You're not auto-assigned a check-in time with or without FTTF. I guess if you just don't check-in, you'd be assigned whatever check-in times are left in the end. I'm not sure. 

Does boarding ever open at 1030? Our first and only cruise was FTTF, checked in at 1130, went straight through and they just opened the gangway.

4 minutes ago, kollarism said:

Does boarding ever open at 1030? Our first and only cruise was FTTF, checked in at 1130, went straight through and they just opened the gangway.

My past few cruises (different ships, different ports) I've been on the ship by 10:15. 

1 hour ago, five. said:

This was last week of September / Early October 2018 on Horizon as info. So Pretty recently.

I see. I thought we were doing a good thing. Getting out of the way before the rush started. Sailed through with no wait, we were among the first off at 7:30ish. When we've waited on them to call our floor in the past, it's been an hour sitting in the room waiting on them to call our floor and then an hour in various lines. They definitely need to improve the process.

Sorry five. I got you confused with the post from the OP, hillbillycruiser.

5 hours ago, kollarism said:

So the real perk of FTTF is boarding immediately? I could realistically not get it, have an 1130/12 check-in, but then have a bad zone to actually board?  I wonder if zones are assigned in order of check-in?

Which is why I raised the other point/question: if you are auto assigned the best check-in time with FTTF, buy it, get assigned earliest check in, then cancel it. Not saying I would do it, but it sounds plausible.

FTTF has several perks, with priority boarding being one of them.  Others include priority tender, priority guest services line, priority luggage delivery, immediate cabin access (my favorite), and priority disembarkation.  There might be one or two others, but those are what I remember.

FTTF will still board after weddings, D/P, and I think suites.  I do think zones are assigned in order of arrival, so an earlier arrival appointment (check-in time) should yield an earlier boarding time.

If you want early check-in and priority boarding, immediate room access (drop all carry-ons, maybe even carry all luggage), dedicated guest services, priority tendering, or priority disembarking then the per cabin price might be worth it.  If you don't mind waiting until after 1:00 to check-in (theoretically shorter lines), visiting guest services at off-hours, are willing to wait for the second or third tender (or have a ship excursion), etc. - then FTTF probably isn't worth the fee.

5 hours ago, kollarism said:

So the real perk of FTTF is boarding immediately? I could realistically not get it, have an 1130/12 check-in, but then have a bad zone to actually board?  I wonder if zones are assigned in order of check-in?

Which is why I raised the other point/question: if you are auto assigned the best check-in time with FTTF, buy it, get assigned earliest check in, then cancel it. Not saying I would do it, but it sounds plausible.

Another benefit of FTTF which was not mentioned that I see is that you cabin is ready when you board.  If you are not Platinum, and don't have FTTF you won't be able to access your cabin until 1:30 regardless of when you get on the ship.

44 minutes ago, pacruise804 said:

FTTF has several perks, with priority boarding being one of them.  Others include priority tender, priority guest services line, priority luggage delivery, immediate cabin access (my favorite), and priority disembarkation.  There might be one or two others, but those are what I remember.

FTTF will still board after weddings, D/P, and I think suites.  I do think zones are assigned in order of arrival, so an earlier arrival appointment (check-in time) should yield an earlier boarding time.

If you want early check-in and priority boarding, immediate room access (drop all carry-ons, maybe even carry all luggage), dedicated guest services, priority tendering, or priority disembarking then the per cabin price might be worth it.  If you don't mind waiting until after 1:00 to check-in (theoretically shorter lines), visiting guest services at off-hours, are willing to wait for the second or third tender (or have a ship excursion), etc. - then FTTF probably isn't worth the fee.

I think the most important thing is to get on the ship ASAP to get an extra day of food, drinks, and relaxation -- and then getting off the ship (we like to get a flight home around 11). We had FTTF last time, but if we can self-disembark right away without FTTF and get a good boarding time, I dont think we need it.

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 9:35 AM, hillbillycruisers said:

So...we haven't cruised in over 3 years. We took advantage of the FTTF our last couple cruises, and thought it was worth the cost. That was at the old $50 price, and now I see its $90. I was debating using FTTF again, and I've noticed several peeps mentioning that Carnival has improved the boarding process. My question is exactly how has this process improved? Also, if not platinum or FTTF, can you choose an early boarding time, or does Carnival just dictate when you must board? I really dont want to wait until after noon to board if possible. This cruise will count as 37 nights with carnival, so I guess platinum is still a ways in my future. We are sailing our of Galveston, if that makes a difference. Thanks for any responses. 

I didn't have FTTF for my most recent cruise and I don't think it mattered to me for the embarkation process. We had a 12-1230 appointment but were on board the ship just before noon. This was in New Orleans. Their system seemed very well thought out and moved quickly. Where I missed FTTF was in Cozumel where getting off the ship for that port was chaotic and time consuming. I also didn't miss it for dembarking as I was off the ship by 10am. Guest services was never too busy so I didn't need the priority line. I think I would have liked to get my luggage earlier (didn't get to the cabin until 5) but maybe not enough to pay $90. So for me. and for that particular port and itinerary I think I was fine without it.

Edited by FreudianSlipper

20 hours ago, five. said:

Interesting. I don't guess I am really understanding the difference. So we got to Miami and everyone was ushered inside. There was one general line and one line for priority (FTTF, platinum, diamond, etc). We were then in a line for check-in and little standing tables. Everyone in the general line were together through this point. Then at that point we were sent to a funnel point. It was at that point that they looked at the check-in window. The ones within their time window were directed to the left which was a direct shot to the welcome on-board pictures and the ship. The ones not in their time window were shown to the right, which was chaos, with a line that snaked around a dozen times or more as big as the terminal. To me that sounds more like a boarding time than a check-in time. I mean I could be remembering or misunderstanding what was happening when they were directing us. But that was what I thought was happening at least.

My guess you be that you arrived after “general boarding” had began. Therefore you were able to keep moving the whole time until you were on the ship.

If you had arrived before general boarding, you would have checked in, been given a zone number and had a seat somewhere until your zone was called for boarding.

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 3:32 PM, PhillyFan33579 said:

Don’t mean to pick on you, but I read/hear frequently about how bad Carnival’s debarkation process can be at times. The problem isn’t the process, the problem is too often passengers decide to leave whenever they want to and don’t follow the debarkation process Carnival has in place.  Of course I blame Carnival too for allowing passengers to do what they want on debarkation day. Just another example of Carnival having rules in place that they rarely enforce. 

Debarkation is a mess. Once as platinum/diamond guests we were left waiting in a hall for 30 minutes while people just marched around us and got off the ship.

6 hours ago, simplelife said:

Why is everyone in such a hurry to get off the ship?

Early flights or driving a long distance and want to get on the road as soon as possible.

I'm still wondering why with us being Platinum, we didn't have a choice of check in time.  I checked in early on the first day we could and the only time slot that was available was 12:30-1:00.  Do they just automatically give that time slot to those that are P/D?  If it makes a difference, it''s on the Horizon out of Miami.  I know we can check in any time being Platinum, just wondering why there was only one time slot.