Melbourne hotel

I've used the search function and haven't found the information I'm looking for, a recommendation for a hotel in Melbourne.

We'll be flying from Sydney into Melbourne, one night pre-cruise and stay a couple of nights post-cruise, at the end of Jan 2020, then relocate to Sydney.  We like to use shuttle buses or trains from the airport, typically avoid taxis, then walking distance to our hotel, restaurants, and things to see and do, and close to the cruise terminal.  Ideally, the hotel should be mid-range in price while logistically well located for ease of transport... airport... hotel... attractions and restaurants... cruise terminal.  We're an active, senior couple and an apartment would exceed our needs for a short stay. Amenities other than wifi aren't so important as we expect to be out and about!  Suggestions would be appreciated.

Look at something in the city.

Too ends of the scale in Little Bourke St,

IBIS or Mantra, 

depends on on your budget.

Both central and airport bus drops you pretty close, then tram to the dock.

There are no trains, only shuttle buses from the airport. 

The bus stops at Southern Cross Starion which is basically on Spenser St. From there you change to a mini bus direct to some hotels or you can catch a tram to your hotel. 

The trams in the city centre are free as long as you don't go out of the city zone (they tell you) so it's easy to get around.

Go to a hotel site and look on a map at hotels in Spenser St or Burke St  or Collins. As all would be walkable or short term ride. 

personally I like to stay in the centre if the city.

The Victoria,   Causeway Inn on the Mall, or the Mecure Welcome. Are all reasonable budget hotels in the centre, an easy tram ride from southern cross station straight down Burke st, get off in the Mall and walk.  Maybe look at them on a map and choose something nearby if they don't quite suit.

Melbourne is a lovely city and there are some lovely hotels near the river (look for Flinders St or South bank area) and around parklands if you prefer. Its fairly flat and easy to walk to most places or hop a tram. There's also a tourist tram that circles the city and stops at all the major spots of interest...look up City Circle tram

Skybus runs a shuttle service from the airport to the Southern Cross station. Outside the station there is the 109 tram that goes to Station Pier cruise terminal. Any hotel near here would be a good choice. Ibis, Holiday Inn and Atlantis are all nearby.

Also.... once you are in the CBD, the trams are free. (CBD grid and docklands only) so you can be just about anywhere quickly.

You will want to do some research on hotels too. The Australian Open is on during the last 2 weeks of January, so hotel prices can skyrocket.  I would book something when you can that allows you to cancel and then keep shopping around through the year and change where needed.

It would be better to stay in the CBD rather than out where the ship docks. As there is more to do in the CBD and better choices of eating places.

It is only a short taxi drive to the pier from the CBD hotels or you can catch the tram.

The area around Station Pier, Port Melbourne, is essentially residential. Lots of cafes and restaurants and small shops. But not much in the way of accommodation or tourist sites.

As others have said, hotels in the CBD would be a much better option. Trams within the CBD are free, but the one to Port Melbourne (route 109) will require a MyKi Card and a fare. Lots to do in and around the CBD, particularly closer to Swanson Street than Spencer Street.

Or some in places in Southbank (just across the river) could be an option. Places there like Mantra or Travelodge are economical and popular. Close to the art gallery, plenty of restaurants etc. 

Transport from the airport would be the SkyBus. About $17pp. It goes to Southern Cross/Spencer Street Station. From there it is walk, tram, or there are free shuttles to some of the hotels.

A couple of responses have recommended a taxi to Station Pier. I would agree, especially if you have a lot of luggage. Should be less than $20. The tram is part of the normal public transport system, so at times can be crowded laving the city.

There have been some threads about things to do in and around Melbourne.  Good luck in trying to find them in the new and improved upgrade.

6 hours ago, RadioBoy said:

Also.... once you are in the CBD, the trams are free. (CBD grid and docklands only) so you can be just about anywhere quickly.

You will want to do some research on hotels too. The Australian Open is on during the last 2 weeks of January, so hotel prices can skyrocket.  I would book something when you can that allows you to cancel and then keep shopping around through the year and change where needed.

I would book as soon as you are able and suggest to look at the booking websites and also the individual hotel sites as you may be able to obtain a better deal. That way you can choose the best location and price for your budget. If you have questions on individual hotels, come back and ask. Someone may be able to help - it is difficult to recommend a hotel if we don't know your budget.

We have used Skybus numerous times but usually only have one suitcase and a backpack each. If you more luggage than that I would suggest a taxi. Tickets for Skybus are $17.50 one way and $35 return. Spencer Street where the Southern Cross Station is situated on the western edge of the CBD and a few different tram lines run along it and off it.

Leigh

Many many years ago we stayed at a property not far from the pier, Station Pier Condominiums, nice little two bed unit, not sure if they're even still there, but if you want somewhere near the pier its worth having look. (Spirit of Tasmania that trip but its the same pier)

Many thanks for your suggestions! Really needed to get the lay of the land. We'll find a hotel in CBD and taxi to the ship. We won't have phone access to Uber.

Docker123: Agreed! Cruise Critic's 'new and improved upgrade'. Search function doesn't seem to work as well... :classic_unsure: 

We're doing three cruises between Jan 8 and Feb 12... yes, we know it will be hot! First cruise to NZ, and last cruise to Tasmania are RT Sydney. The middle cruise is S. Australia RT Melbourne. The Tasmania cruise takes us back to Melbourne for a day.

We'll be wiped out from our long flight from east coast Canada (21 hrs + connections) so will do our main sightseeing in Sydney mid-trip. Have already booked the Russell in Sydney for two nights upon arrival Jan 6. 

We very soon need to decide how we'll split an additional seven hotel nights between Melbourne and Sydney, two nights before, and five nights after, the RT Melbourne cruise. I think we'll fly between Melbourne and Sydney or, possibly, take the train in one direction. Thoughts?

Although high season, we're hoping to find accommodations for around $200 per night (not a hard and fast budget), so will book as soon as bookings will be taken, usually not more than 12 months in advance. The Cdn $ is about par with the Aus... just not sure if it goes as far! 

RadioBoy: Thanks for the heads up about the Australian Open and booking advice. I'm on it...

Looking forward to our trip Down Under!

Next year, the Open Tennis is scheduled 20 Jan- 2 Feb. Things hot up the week before with qualifying and everyone arriving for practice.

Another date for your diary is 26 January, if not on a cruise. This is Australia Day with night time fireworks and many events. Sydney acccommodation can be $$ as the display on the harbour is spectacular. 

Enjoy.

Edited by Docker123

$200 a night is doable. The train to Sydney, the XPT, leaves at 0830 and arrives at 2001. The night time train leaves 1950 and arrives 0658. Sleepers are available on the night train. Daytime is my preference to take in the view and not have a disrupted sleep at night.

Docker123:

Jan 26 our port is Kangaroo Island. Haven't yet decided what we'll do that day. 

Yes, from comments I've read, was thinking "prairies", not Rockies (lol).  We live in Nova Scotia "Canada's Ocean Playground"... think Ireland...  but not as spectacular (we've been).

Thx, By the Bay, for the train info!

Edited by Adventures ahead

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Melbourne on Flinders.  Across the road and a block or so easy short walk from the Skybus terminal and Southern Cross train station. The hotel is also a very short walk to the tram system that takes you directly to the cruise terminal (route 109). When in Melbourne we caught the free tram on the city circle to get around. You need a myki  card (small cost) for the tram to the cruise terminal.

Holiday Inn is a bit more expensive but look for a deal or join their rewards scheme for a cheaper price. Otherwise there are a few other hotels in this area.

Below is the city circle free tram route in Melbourne, very easy to get around but sometimes very busy.

44803C32-F957-4266-B548-2004BFB12674.jpeg

Edited by megsie

Holiday Inn a good suggestion.   Reasonably safe area too.   That train trip can be very long and uninteresting, have done it a couple of times but I would suggest flying.  Keep an eye out for specials, we have budget airlines that can often get you to sydney from Melb for $29 plus luggage but I would suggest spending a bit extra for more reliable airline when you have time restrictions.  Virgin and Qantas can still be cheaper than the train and a lot more comfortable, even in late Jan flights are reasonable.  Keep an eye on webjet or skyscanner for prices but dont book through them as they have a booking fee.  Book direct on airlines website.

Edited by Tara Jane

45 minutes ago, Tara Jane said:

Keep an eye out for specials, we have budget airlines that can often get you to sydney from Melb for $29 plus luggage but I would suggest spending a bit extra for more reliable airline when you have time restrictions.  Virgin and Qantas can still be cheaper than the train and a lot more comfortable, even in late Jan flights are reasonable.  .

I may be wrong but I suspect the days of $29 SYD-MEL are long gone. I'm seeing $79+ as the special price, and >$100 in holiday periods like this. A few days back Tiger ran a 24 hour $59 special, but then luggage is extra and I doubt it was holiday period. I've been monitoring the past couple of months for April holidays and they're about $170+ at reasonable times, with only the 6 a.m. flight reduced...

Edited by The_Big_M

I have family in Sydney so am always taking advantage of the cheap flights, I do fly jetstar and tiger often using the jetstar price guarantee.  Best I have got was a $10 each way a year or so ago.   As its not an issue if I have delays either in Syd or Melb I am happy to go cheap and take the chance.   However I wouldn't suggest that, my reason for suggesting virgin or qantas even though they too have delays but they have more daily flights.  We were caught in the chaos in Sydney on 21 dec returning from a cruise.  You are right for some reason April is always quite expensive perhaps as its linked to easter and therefore a combination of school and easter hols.  Same for obvious reasons around Christmas, however we have scored some great deals for flights once the tradies go back to work mid January.

If I see anything around $59 one way I am happy and usually manage that with research.

Edited by Tara Jane

Have researched suggested hotels, so far considering either IBIS or Mercure Welcome. Online reviews give a nod to IBIS although it appears that there are no safes in the rooms and there is conflicting information on in-room free wifi.

The Holiday Inn Northbank is a little more expensive and not sure if it's worth it. Won't be bookable for another two weeks so unsure of actual pricing.

Any additional thoughts?