Cruise from Baltimore. 11 15 flight from Reagan airport. Is this realistic?

Jumbo it is not Baltimore airport. It is Washington Ronald Reagan airport. Airport code dca. I think it is almost an hour away. Just wondering what traffic is like. Our other alternative is a four pm from Baltimore airport code bwi. But then we are stuck in airport for hours. Plus we are trying to fly on points and Washington is less points. Don’t have enough for baltimore

12 minutes ago, healthworker said:

We will be on grandeur in June. Docks seven am. If we carry off luggage can we make the 11 15 flight?  What is traffic like Saturday mornings going to airport? 

Yes, I think you can make an 11:15am flight.  Traffic would probably be moderate on  Sat morning.  It's about a 1-hour drive to Washington Reagan down Rt. 295 to 695/395.

Of course, you have to take into account Murphy's Law.  

1 minute ago, Wine-O said:

Yes, I think you can make an 11:15am flight.  Traffic would probably be moderate on  Sat morning.  It's about a 1-hour drive to Washington Reagan down Rt. 295 to 695/395.

Of course, you have to take into account Murphy's Law.  

That good old law! We would fly on points and don’t have enough for Baltimore. Also the Baltimore flight is late afternoon. 

Baltimore is a strange port..... Probably more delays arriving due to weather, wind, seas, etc then most other ports. So arrival delays are more possible than the traditional southern ports. IMO...I think its cutting it too close. especially with Airport more than1 hour away and possible interstate congestion delays.

OP...we live between Baltimore and Reagan National Airport.  While you might make it, there is no way we woud try a flight that early.  Traffic around here can be brutal, I mean really brutal   A 10 mile drive can take an hour with the slightest traffic problem.

You will be crossing the American Legion bridge on I495 from Maryland into Virginia.  Even on a Saturday it can back up at the bridge because the road narrows by a lane or two. My wife and I travel this route frequently on Saturday mornings heading to Tysons, VA.    Personally I would look for a flight closer to 12-12:30.

If you can book a flight out of BWI then yes, you could do a 11am flight.  Its much closer to the port, and a very nice airport,  but flights there tend to be more expensive the Reagan.

With a later flight, and if you do find yourselves arriving early, there is no need to just sit at the airport for hours.  To reach the airport you'll travel the George Washington Pkwy.  There are many places to park along the way along the Potmac River and see gorgous views of the nations capital, and several memorials.  In June it will be beautiful   The closer you get to the airport you can park and wacth the planes land right over your head , because they approach over the river. Its a lot of fun.

Have a safe and fun trip

Bob

Edited by onthewater51
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, onthewater51 said:

OP...we live between Baltimore and Reagan National Airport.  While you might make it, there is no way we woud try a flight that early.  Traffic around here can be brutal, I mean really brutal   A 10 mile drive can take an hour with the slightest traffic problem.

You will be crossing the American Legion bridge on I495 from Maryland into Virginia.  Even on a Saturday it can back up at the bridge because the road narrows by a lane or two. My wife and I travel this route frequently on Saturday mornings heading to Tysons, VA.    Personally I would look for a flight closer to 12-12:30.

If you can book a flight out of BWI then yes, you could do a 11am flight.  Its much closer to the port, and a very nice airport,  but flights there tend to be more expensive the Reagan.

With a later flight, and if you do find yourselves arriving early, there is no need to just sit at the airport for hours.  To reach the airport you'll travel the George Washington Pkwy.  There are many places to park along the way along the Potmac River and see gorgous views of the nations capital, and several memorials.  In June it will be beautiful   The closer you get to the airport you can park and wacth the planes land right over your head , because they approach over the river. Its a lot of fun.

Have a safe and fun trip

Bob

Bob, that's the long way.  Shortest way is Balto-Wash Pky, 295, Southeast Expressway (695) and over the 14th St bridge.  From there, it's a mile or so to the airport.   I go that way all the time when visiting family in Northern VA.   Going your route, it takes you around robin hood's barn.

I agree there are no guarantees concerning traffic jams, so you could go for it, but have a back up plan.

I also live in the area and would strongly recommend against this. Like Bob said, the trip with no traffic should take an hour. There is often traffic, every day of the week, and it can be bad. I agree with Wine-O’s route... 295 is a “highway” with no shoulders, which makes it a toss-up whether you might fly through or get stuck without moving for an hour thanks to a fender-bender ahead. 

The taxi ride from port of Baltimore to DCA will likely be ~$100-$150 in no traffic, another cost to be aware of.

Is there a later flight out of DCA you could take, or do you also have points you could use for a hotel night? Luggage storage is available at DCA, and the airport is a 15-minute taxi ride from many of the major sites and museums in DC if you want to explore to pass a few hours.

WINO & LINDZ

I defer to your direction, from our home we travel down 270 to 495.  I see from Google your route from Baltimore is diff, and definitely shorter. 

But for the OP one thing we agree on,  our traffic here stinks big-time...regardless the day of the week.  Not worth the gamble on that flight time.

On the lighter side...wife and I are cruising out of Baltimore next week on Grandeur 🙂

• Like 2

thank you all for the honest opinions! I am cancelling this option. Forgot to mention, we are Canadian,so we have to be at airport a lot earlier than if flying domestically!  Would it be realistic to rent a car, drive to DC, keep luggage in car, see a few sights and then give car back at Reagan airport?  Would have to return car by 2 pm for the 4 pm flight.

1 minute ago, healthworker said:

thank you all for the honest opinions! I am cancelling this option. Forgot to mention, we are Canadian,so we have to be at airport a lot earlier than if flying domestically!  Would it be realistic to rent a car, drive to DC, keep luggage in car, see a few sights and then give car back at Reagan airport?  Would have to return car by 2 pm for the 4 pm flight.

Yes, depending on how soon you are willing to get off the ship and get to the BWI airport to rent the car. 

Yes I think you could do that, and in my opinion, its a smart decision.  You wont get a lot of in-depth sightseeing in but you'll definitely have enough time to drive around the DC area and see a few things.  If you plan carefully you may be able to see a few memorials around the Mall area  .  Even if you just park near the Mall and have lunch it will be beautiful in June.  Decent temps and our oppressive humidty hasn't typically arrived yet.

FYI...Most of the public school systems here let out around the 2nd week of June, so it can get crowded on a weekends.  Id also suggest checking the Wash DC event calender.  Events come up that cause road closures which will impact your travel time.  Have a wonderful trip.

Bob

14 hours ago, superduper123 said:

I am from the Baltimore/ DC area and I personally would not do this. And I am usually one to take chances, as I rarely have flown in the day before a cruise. DC area traffic can be a nightmare.

The OP is talking about post-cruise flight.

17 hours ago, healthworker said:

I would go to the airport, drop the car, check in, then head into DC.

The Metro (subway) has a stop right at the airport. Takes you into DC, with stops close to most anything you will want to see.

And good idea, 1115 out of Reagan would be very unlikely.

On 1/20/2019 at 9:38 AM, healthworker said:

We will be on grandeur in June. Docks seven am. If we carry off luggage can we make the 11 15 flight?  What is traffic like Saturday mornings going to airport? 

I live in Baltimore and have been on the Grandeur many times.  You are about 1 1/2 hrs from Reagan if traffic is good!  No way can you disembark and get to Reagan and have enough time to get through security etc.  I would look for 12 or even 1.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, onthewater51 said:

The OP is talking about post-cruise flight.

Yes, I understand. I was just making the comment that I am not one to usually worry about travel time, but I would not feel comfortable making this flight after the cruise, driving from Baltimore.