Tipping crew with dollars on Mediterranean cruise

gatorchinsky

Dollar currency is used onboard the ship.  Everything purchased onboard is charged in dollars no matter where the ship is sailing. Their employer is paying them in US dollar.  No need to secure local currency just for tips  ... unless that’s all you have and in that case they’ll be happy to take gbp or euro or whatever. 

1 hour ago, gatorchinsky said:

We cruise in June so leaving euros makes more sense.

Likely but not a given.  Different contracts for everyone onboard.  Someone you tip in euro might be leaving the ship at the end of the week and would prefer US dollar.  Someone else might be saving their money vs spending in port.  Dollar is the currency onboard.  If you only have euro they’ll be very appreciative of receiving it but no need to go out of your way to procure extra foreign currency as it doesn’t necessarily make it easier for staff you’re giving it to. 

2 minutes ago, Peachypooh said:

I tip in dollars (the full amount I would have given) and then if I have any foreign

currency leftover give them that in addition to the dollars. Seems to be appreciated.

But only paper money not coins.

Side note: our highest value coin, the 2 Euro coin equals around USD$2.25. 

Not that giving or carrying coins (as crew) is easier but just sharing knowledge. :classic_happy:

I asked the question a couple of years ago, and was told that they don’t really mind between dollars and euros. The main difference mentioned was that a euro is worth more than a dollar, so if you tip a euro then you are giving more than if you tip a dollar.

Personally, I use dollars as it’s easier to deal with notes than coins, but nobody has ever seemed to mind if I hand over a euro coin.

19 hours ago, FreestyleNovice said:

Side note: our highest value coin, the 2 Euro coin equals around USD$2.25. 

Not that giving or carrying coins (as crew) is easier but just sharing knowledge. :classic_happy:

Thank you for the information. Very helpful as I didn't know that. I didn't explain that I was

talking about the tips I give at the end of the cruise such as to the room steward. I just

figure he doesn't need a bunch of coins in his pocket for the rest of his shift

weighing him down. I do see it would be fine at the bars as they might have a cup

or area where they can keep them other than in their pockets.

On 1/21/2019 at 7:20 AM, gatorchinsky said:

We will be sailing on the Epic Western Mediterranean cruise and just wanted to know if you tip the crew with dollars or euros?  I know when we are in the ports we use euros, but wasn’t sure which currency to use on the ship.  Thanks!!

The currency on board all NCL ships for all cruises is the $USD. It is never a problem to tip using dollars.

On 1/22/2019 at 3:06 PM, zqvol said:

The currency on board all NCL ships for all cruises is the $USD. It is never a problem to tip using dollars.

Just wondering why the constant reference to on board currency is $ when ships ever take cash payments.  Oh and if I was travelling in USA I would never dream of paying in pounds.  Be polite, use the local currency!

1 minute ago, caneable said:

Just wondering why the constant reference to on board currency is $ when ships ever take cash payments.  Oh and if I was travelling in USA I would never dream of paying in pounds.  Be polite, use the local currency!

The onboard currency for everything is dollars, including any transactions that the staff make. I assume that they have some way of paying in any tips etc into their "account" and it is easiest for this to be in dollars.

My guess (and it's just a guess) is that if they get given tips in the local currency of the ports they are visiting then they would have to pay some sort of exchange fee to pay that into their account, although obviously they will be able to spend it when they go ashore.

Basically, because the shipboard currency is dollars the staff will never have any trouble using dollars they receive. They may not find it as easy to use other currencies.

6 hours ago, caneable said:

The offical currency on board the ships are $USD. That is NCL mandates. The local currency on the ship is $USD> When ashore it is a different matter.

7 hours ago, caneable said:

Pretty sure folks are trying to be polite by giving extra cash tips above what they’re already paying for tips.  The dsc and all tips paid via sign and sail receipt onboard any ncl ship no matter where in the world it’s sailing, are paid out to staff in us dollars. 

Many will bring extra cash with intent to give crew. Depending on how the cash is procured, the cost of obtaining the extra cash might be needless.  There’s obviously a need to have euro to pay for things on land but why pay the conversion fees just to give staff euro when they may very well be leaving for the USA next week?  Likewise for an Italian- why pay to exchange euro to USD just because the ship crew is paid in Usd. Giving staff something in cash for excellent service is appreciated.  They’re resourceful and will figure a way to spend  the euro, $, gbp....