Specialty Dining

10 minutes ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

Yeah, Buger King, Taco Bell, KFC, Pizza Hut....👍:classic_laugh:

Sounds like someone has never actually visited the U.S. Or, visited the U.S. and didn't go anywhere. I would put the food culture in New Orleans, New York, Houston,  Los Angeles, Chicago, etc. up against any location worldwide. 

Edited by DrHfuhruhurr
  • Like 1

On 1/24/2019 at 3:05 PM, Colorado Babe said:

Why do we all continue to purchase the Specialty dining package when there are so many complaints that they have declined? Is the dining room food so bad that we have no other choice but to pay more for just a decent meal?  

Yes.

57 minutes ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

We have so much better food where we live - specialty dining is much better back home than on the ship!👍

Pretty sure that is true most places. 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

I think specialty dining is a very US thing as there is hardly any developed food culture where people live on land.....:classic_rolleyes:

Specialty dining is a CRUISE thing.  It has nothing to do with the US.  It just signifies a restaurant that is supposed to be a step above the MDR and buffet.

It has nothing to do with land restaurants.

Dan

• 1 month later...
On 1/25/2019 at 3:01 PM, NeedsVitaminSea said:

I'm new to RCCL but was offered the 7 night dining package for $125pp!  I snapped up that deal.  I figure we can even forfeit a few nights and come out ahead.

Hey, which cruise was this on? Was it hurricane season on one of the older ships? 🤣 Just saying, that's a deal I have yet to see anywhere!

3 hours ago, SAHMof3 said:

Hey, which cruise was this on? Was it hurricane season on one of the older ships? 🤣 Just saying, that's a deal I have yet to see anywhere!

Ovation to Alaska this summer!  I couldn’t believe the price. It’s still there in my purchase history so I guess it’s legit. 

• Like 1

I always like specialty bc I like the change of pace. And the food is usually enjoyable. I mean its no Michelin 4 star but its certainly not an Applebees either. We had a few good meals on Freedom in the MDR last cruise. We always hope for the best. The prices on them have become unreasonably high without a package of some kind.

We primarily eat in specialty restaurants with the purchase of a dining package, I agree with a lot of posters that the individual price per venue has gone up a little too much.  There was a time when we enjoyed the atmosphere of the MDR and meeting new people, however we prefer the ambiance and a more intimate dining experience these days.  I do prefer the food in the specialty restaurants over the MDR but I do not think the MDR quality is as bad as others may feel.

On 2/28/2019 at 9:58 PM, SAHMof3 said:

I found the same deal around Thanksgiving for both sailings of our back to back in July on Allure. It’s our first time on RCCL, but at $125 (actually it may have been $126), we figured it was worth it for the lunches alone. It is now up to $199 on our cruise planner 🤷🏻‍♀️  

We we are not loyal to any one brand, but do like the intimate atmosphere provided in specialty venues. 

On 2/28/2019 at 9:58 PM, SAHMof3 said:

We purchased the UDP for $126 on Black Friday for our upcoming cruise on Allure in June.  We had previously done the 5 night package on our previous cruises, but this was a price too good to pass up. 

We prefer the better service and ambiance in the restaurants as opposed to the slower service and noise in the MDR.  I also feel the food in the dining room sounds good, but more times than not, it isn't seasoned well and has no taste.  

We also had the UDP for our Harmony cruise in January and paid $155 on Black Friday for that cruise.  To me, it's a no brainer to go to a specialty restaurant as opposed to the dining room.  I do realize there are many who truly enjoy the MDR and that's great for them.  

For many years we cruised without going to a specialty restaurant and managed to have a wonderful time. Now,  a relaxed atmosphere is more pleasant and the food is better as well.  I like being able to have a filet every night if I wish, or having Branzino, lobster bisque, or cream of mushroom soup nightly.   The choices in the specialty restaurants are more to our taste. It's worth it to us.

50 minutes ago, katiel53 said:

We purchased the UDP for $126 on Black Friday for our upcoming cruise on Allure in June.  We had previously done the 5 night package on our previous cruises, but this was a price too good to pass up. 

We prefer the better service and ambiance in the restaurants as opposed to the slower service and noise in the MDR.  I also feel the food in the dining room sounds good, but more times than not, it isn't seasoned well and has no taste.  

We also had the UDP for our Harmony cruise in January and paid $155 on Black Friday for that cruise.  To me, it's a no brainer to go to a specialty restaurant as opposed to the dining room.  I do realize there are many who truly enjoy the MDR and that's great for them.  

For many years we cruised without going to a specialty restaurant and managed to have a wonderful time. Now,  a relaxed atmosphere is more pleasant and the food is better as well.  I like being able to have a filet every night if I wish, or having Branzino, lobster bisque, or cream of mushroom soup nightly.   The choices in the specialty restaurants are more to our taste. It's worth it to us.

I’m not interested really in MORE specialty dining. Three times during a cruise is plenty. I am particular about my food quality but can’t eat the enormous amounts served at the specialty restaurants. I’m the MDR, I have noticed oftentimes that the entrees aren’t near in quality as their appetizers, soups and salads. So I will order the app as my main and get a soup or salad with it. I splurge with calories on a cruise to some extent but I also have to make sure I don’t overdo it every night. (My cholesterol would be through the roof as mine is usually high even though I’m in shape physically) . I was just looking for the best deal for my three nights of splurging, lol.

Well we booked a 3night meal package for our upcoming Harmony cruise because we haven’t cruised with Royal for five years and never on a Oasis class ship so we booked it just because we want to experience afew of the other restaurants and the meal deal was a cheaper way than booking one at a time. 

12 minutes ago, mondas42 said:

Well we booked a 3night meal package for our upcoming Harmony cruise because we haven’t cruised with Royal for five years and never on a Oasis class ship so we booked it just because we want to experience afew of the other restaurants and the meal deal was a cheaper way than booking one at a time. 

I Agree! You are going to LOVE the Oasis restaurants! Our favorite is 150 Park. We usually just do one night but decided on three for this one. Hoping I don’t over do it on three, hahaha. It’s tempting when you have three or four courses of deliciousness, lol

Edited by SAHMof3

On ‎01‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 6:26 AM, cruzeluver said:

We have been purchasing the 5 night package but not for the reasons indicated by the OP. Food in the main dining room is perfectly fine, but the crowds and noise levels (particularly in the anytime dining sections of the larger ships) have gotten to the point that its most unpleasant. We like having a variety of dining experiences which the package affords, the more attentive service and quieter atmosphere. 

I agree with cruzelover.  We're embark on a 12 night cruise tomorrow and I purchased a five night package as well as Chef's Table.  For us it's also more about the quiet atmosphere and the intimacy than anything else.  I'll admit that I did consider canceling and going to just a 3 night package, but in the end I've kept the 5 nights.  We just really love the ambiance and especially love eating specialty the first night.

Cindy