Single cruisers - how do you find cabin-mates/cruising buddies?

losfp

Hey all.

Just wondering if there's any single cruisers on here who have had success finding a cruising mate to share a cabin (ie: not an existing friend or acquaintance). I would be curious to know if there's any sites or networks to find a travelling companion, that preferably don't feature axe murderers, to help a friend.

I have a friend who was set to travel with us on our recent NZ cruise, but her cabinmates (a couple) unfortunately had to cancel due to the wife falling pregnant.  We're going on another cruise next January (Singapore-Tokyo on Diamond Princess) and she would be keen to come along if she can find a suitable travel buddy.  I'd love to help her out (in a non-creepy way!!) but pretty clueless around what's available as resources or networks as I've always travelled with my wife for the last 20 years.

That's a great question. I am interested in answers as I now find myself in a strange (to me) situation of travelling as a single since my wifes' passing last year. I have a friend I have shared with in the past but her daughter is having her first baby in April and will not be going anywhere until she is confident her daughter can cope.

There use to be a huge Aus cruise companions match up website for many years but the travel agency that operated it went bust about 18 months ago. A real shame as it was well used.

If you do a search in Facebook using the terms "cruise companions" and "cruise buddies" there are loads of very large groups for both Aus/NZ specific, and worldwide. Also most of the cruise lines have FB pages and groups linked to them and many people post there to find cabin shares.

2 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Would you really want to share such a small room with a stranger?

Its done by millions of solos around the world on both cruises and land tours. I have shared with strangers on 3 out of 4 of my polar trips because the cabin would have been double the price (ie $100k!) otherwise. All polar trips match up solos for twin, triple and quad share. In the 80s and 90s the cruise lines operating out of Aus also did it as I spent a good part of my teens making the most of P&O's "Friendly Four" deals where they paired up 4 solo girls to a cabin. Have shared with strangers on many land tours around the world too.

I struggled with this problem a number of times.  In 2009 my TA offered to introduce me to another single for world cruise, saving $9000.  Thought about it long and hard and decided no.  There were a number of people sharing cabins who had never met before, 90% of them had “issues”.

So pleased I went on my own, and for other cruises.  The extra money for the dreaded single supplement is offset by peace of mind.

i simply tell my kids less for the inheritance, so happy you are pleased to see your mother enjoying herself. Lol.  Worked long and hard for over 40 years, 

22 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Would you really want to share such a small room with a stranger?

I have a mate who has done a couple of long cruises with a stranger, they blued over the Elite mini bar that my mate had earned. His cabin mate quaffed most of it whilst my mate was at the CC M&G, true story.:classic_ohmy:

Where are you Dick ? 

I would need a pro Labrador cabin mate, are there any?   I reckon one would need a mini suite too, bit of space.

Edited by NSWP

The only people I’ve shared with are Mrs Gut and young Ms Gut.

to be honest even Ms Gut was a bit of a stretch, issue one is the bathroom, the thing is so small, or more accurately I’m so, not small, I tend to need to go to to dress, even going to the toilet can be a bit ....... with noise smell etc when you share with family, with strangers, well I’d just be uncomfortable, but then it’s been said that I’m an anti social SOB strewth don’t even really like guests in the house, so if I offer you a room for a night or two, feel privileged 

• Haha 1

Avoid it as best as you can. It is not a good way to travel and you are best to only share the cabin with people that you know and trust.

P&O UK did it many years ago on world cruises to make it more affordable to singles and they actually sold share cabins. That system has been abolished due to the endless problems it caused and poor personal habits. 

Being ex Navy and sharing a mess deck with 60 other men to sleep with and 6 showers and toilets to share between us I thought I could handle it, but not every passenger is ex-military and do not have the exceptional hygiene and personal qualities that military people have.

Examples you might find are:

• underwear soaking in bathroom sinks.
  • wet socks and underwear hanging over lamp fittings to dry from the heat
  • coat hangers wedged into the air conditioning vents to dry clothes
  • food scraps left on your side of the bench
  • snoring
  • uninvited cabin guests
  • unusual wake up times
  • prank phone calls at odd hours to the cabin
  • bed wetting
  • bible punchers
  • lack of toilet flushing
  • missing the toilet for both types of waste
  • used toilet paper dropped in cabin garbage
  • excessive nudity
  • televisions left on late at night because the darlings cant sleep without noise
  • air conditioning on unbearable temperatures
  • all bath towels being used
  • stewards dismissed or told no turn down service or daily clean up is necessary
  • medical call outs late at night for suspected heart attacks which is nothing more than fish bones wedged in their teeth
  • towels with skid marks hanging on the towel rack
  • wet clothes hanging in the shower cubicle despite other peoples need to use it
  • sleep talking
  • sleep walking
  • nightmares

If all of this sounds like a fun holiday to you then go for it. As I said its best to only go with people you know and trust. These are some of the horror stories I have heard and know what goes on in share cabins. It is also why I always take antibacterial wipes with me on each cruise and wipe down every surface, every drawer, every switch and every coat hanger that I am likely to come in contact with.

A pretty good, and realistic list, there, Brisbane. 

I suspect you have to have a massive level of tolerance for it to work, in case you're not very lucky to have someone with very similar levels of tidiness as yourself. When sharing a room on land, people usually interview others to get a feel for compatibility. However, many of these travel arrangements s have no such pre-qualification so its luck of the draw.

10 hours ago, NSWP said:

would need a pro Labrador cabin mate, are there any?  

Absolutely there are but hubby might not like it too much! I'm an ex vet nurse and puppy Walker for guide dogs Australia and a labrador lover since as far back as I can remember.

Re cabin mates - before hubby was converted and found travel I decided I wasnt waiting for him to retire so went with his blessing.  My first trip to Europe I did 3 tours b2b.  2nd tour I was roomed with a lady from qland on a same sex share basis.   That was in 2002 and we have travelled 1-2 times a year since together have become firm friends.  The only year we haven't done an o/s trip was 2011 when we were both diagnosed with breast cancer a week apart. 

There can be as many success stories as bad ones but its usually the negatives we hear of.

• Like 1

Well this thread got interesting lol

Anyway, i can see share situations are definitely not for everyone. I've never really been in that position but was curious what's out there. I think my friend would much prefer to go with someone she knows (or that someone that can be directly vouched for by someone she knows) so probably she won't go looking for a stranger to share with.

Thanks all for an entertaining discussion haha

On 1/25/2019 at 5:38 PM, PerfectlyPerth said:

There use to be a huge Aus cruise companions match up website for many years but the travel agency that operated it went bust about 18 months ago. A real shame as it was well used.

I wonder why that agency went bust!!!!!!! Real well used and probably abused!!!! The reason why is that strangers simply do not get on. Have you ever heard of the saying you reap what you sow?

I seriously suggest anybody sharing accommodation with a 'new best friend' rethink that situation.  I have met several people whose cruises were ruined because they chose to be matched with a 'like minded' single.  Sharing space is difficult under even the best of circumstances and problems arise between couples supposed to actually love each other.  How in heavens name does anybody expect random strangers to get along well enough to share a tiny room and even tinier bathroom?

In my opinion, money would be well spent on a single supplement even if this curtails some aspects of the holiday.

Edited by Bubbeh

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 4:38 PM, Brisbane41 said:

Avoid it as best as you can. It is not a good way to travel and you are best to only share the cabin with people that you know and trust.

P&O UK did it many years ago on world cruises to make it more affordable to singles and they actually sold share cabins. That system has been abolished due to the endless problems it caused and poor personal habits. 

Being ex Navy and sharing a mess deck with 60 other men to sleep with and 6 showers and toilets to share between us I thought I could handle it, but not every passenger is ex-military and do not have the exceptional hygiene and personal qualities that military people have.

Examples you might find are:

• underwear soaking in bathroom sinks.
  • wet socks and underwear hanging over lamp fittings to dry from the heat
  • coat hangers wedged into the air conditioning vents to dry clothes
  • food scraps left on your side of the bench
  • snoring
  • uninvited cabin guests
  • unusual wake up times
  • prank phone calls at odd hours to the cabin
  • bed wetting
  • bible punchers
  • lack of toilet flushing
  • missing the toilet for both types of waste
  • used toilet paper dropped in cabin garbage
  • excessive nudity
  • televisions left on late at night because the darlings cant sleep without noise
  • air conditioning on unbearable temperatures
  • all bath towels being used
  • stewards dismissed or told no turn down service or daily clean up is necessary
  • medical call outs late at night for suspected heart attacks which is nothing more than fish bones wedged in their teeth
  • towels with skid marks hanging on the towel rack
  • wet clothes hanging in the shower cubicle despite other peoples need to use it
  • sleep talking
  • sleep walking
  • nightmares

If all of this sounds like a fun holiday to you then go for it. As I said its best to only go with people you know and trust. These are some of the horror stories I have heard and know what goes on in share cabins. It is also why I always take antibacterial wipes with me on each cruise and wipe down every surface, every drawer, every switch and every coat hanger that I am likely to come in contact with.

Good list, when I was in the Army, many moons ago, I shared a barrack room with 23 other young soldiers, the noises, sights and smells remain with me to this day.

2 hours ago, lyndarra said:

On the Noordam there were events for singles. Are these worth going to? I thought of going myself to find out but each time I chickened out or they clashed with other things I was interested in.

They sometimes are. It could help you find people to at least drink with at the bar so you have someone to talk to. Sometimes they are well attended others they are not. It also depends how shy the people are. I go to those things when I do cruise alone but I am definitely not into sharing with others.

17 hours ago, lyndarra said:

On the Noordam there were events for singles. Are these worth going to? I thought of going myself to find out but each time I chickened out or they clashed with other things I was interested in.

One wonders what age the singles were on Noordam,  given the 'floating nursing home rumours re HAL.:classic_love:   I had better check out the 'singles function' when I embark Noordam in April, just don't tell 'she who shall be obeyed.':classic_laugh:

Edited by NSWP

Yes, check it out ans report back.

The guest demographics was a pleasant surprise since our last cruise with HAL 5 years ago - much younger crowd.I've noticed a similar trend on Celebrity the last few years too.

I travelled loads when I was younger (land travel) and shared with strangers with no problems at all.  Now I'm older and rather less tolerant it's not as appealing - even less so on a cruise where you can't escape.

I don't cruise that often as I pay a single supplement, but it's so worth it to have that small space all to myself.  

3 hours ago, MadWoofter said:

I travelled loads when I was younger (land travel) and shared with strangers with no problems at all.  Now I'm older and rather less tolerant it's not as appealing - even less so on a cruise where you can't escape.

I don't cruise that often as I pay a single supplement, but it's so worth it to have that small space all to myself.  

Yes when you are a teenager and barely legal just in the Navy then the thought of sharing does not bother you at all. A few years later when I was in my 20's I did not have any problems sharing with strangers for a 49 night cruise.

Like you now that I am older I want my privacy and if I am travelling alone and meet a woman on the ship then there is peace of mind that I have a cabin to myself. That also occurred to me when I started meeting girls when I was sharing and did not have a cabin to take them back to.

If I share with any of my nave mates (male) then we get a full suite and partition it off at night with one of us on the sofa bed and the other on the double bed. The bathroom can also be split in two so if either of us gets lucky then it is no drama sharing a cabin.

• 4 months later...
On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 6:41 PM, losfp said:

Indeed it did get interesting fast … and just as quickly slowed down my first instinct to respond saying OH! I am doing that cruise and may need a cabin mate - lol.  Suddenly, the $$'s seemed less important. 

Well this thread got interesting lol

Anyway, i can see share situations are definitely not for everyone. I've never really been in that position but was curious what's out there. I think my friend would much prefer to go with someone she knows (or that someone that can be directly vouched for by someone she knows) so probably she won't go looking for a stranger to share with.

Thanks all for an entertaining discussion haha