4 day Pacific Coastal cruise

mrsgthatsme

Looking for some thoughts on the 4 day Pacific Coastal on the Oosterdam from San Diego to Vancouver with a stop in Victoria. My husband and I are looking for a quick getaway and this looked like a fun and different option. If you have done this itinerary,could you share your thoughts? What did you do in Victoria? Did you plan activities in Vancouver when you finished the cruise or San Diego prior to the cruise? Thanks!

Hi, sounds like fun! We did almost the same trip in April of 2012 (we had a different port stop)......we drove a rental car to San Diego (about 5+ hours from home) and boarded the Oosterdam. After disembarking in Vancouver, we took the ship shuttle to Seattle and flew home. I wish we'd stopped in Victoria on that cruise, but our only port was Port Angeles, which we felt was a really sad and quiet little town (can't remember if it's Oregon or Washington, but its claim to fame was that Twilight was filmed near there.....we just wandered around town, didn't take a tour). As far as Victoria goes, it's a beautiful town, we love it there. On a different cruise ship visit, we walked into town from where we were docked, wandered a bit, had a fabulous lunch at The Canoe Brewpub, even walked through The Empress Hotel and just appreciated our surroundings. There's also a take-away shop, harbor area, called Red Fish, Blue Fish (it's a little place in a cargo container) and the food was outstanding (this was a different trip, LOL), which was evident by the crowds. We didn't ever go to The Empress for their high tea, but we're heard it's really good (also really pricey).

We had a guarantee veranda on the Oosterdam, and it was more forward on the ship than we like, but you take your chances with a guarantee (it was the only choice available when we booked). We found that the winds were very strong and we didn't get much use from the veranda because it was too cold outside. But we still had a great time.

Although my husband wasn't as enamored as I was with my "splurge" onboard the Oosterdam, I booked a couples massage for the first night's splurge. It was lovely (he might disagree, it was his first time), and very, very relaxing. It seemed to me that it made the whole cruise longer and more relaxing.

Have a wonderful time!

Edited by CruiseMGM
ditzy blonde
  • Like 1

We have done this type of cruise several times and enjoyed it.

A couple of thoughts/suggestions:  

1.  We try to add a couple of days at one or both ends to make the trip "worth it" - we have to travel from Oklahoma, so to do it for just 4 days is not worthwhile to us.

2. Be sure you will like 3 sea days in a row.  Some people get bored with all of the down time.  So, it depends on what type of person you are and what your interests are.

3.  Research Victoria and be sure you find something you will like to do.  Also, be sure that you have enough time in Victoria to accomplish this (some port stops are very short or are in late evenings, which is not good IMO).

• Like 1

We've been on this cruise a couple of times.  Part of our collectors' cruise.

A lot of people get off in San Diego and a lot of people get on.

I do believe IIRC that for the 4 day coastal, you need to bring a carry on only.

You may see a different type of demographic on this segment.  Not a typical HAL cruise but it's a great getaway.

Victoria is beautiful 😄. You can just walk (if you like walking) and see so much and get to the key areas.  It is a bit of a walk though.

Hope this helps 

• Like 1

Yes done this cruise or similar.  In October did one on the Euro that stopped in Astoria (more common on SB cruises to avoid US customs issues since pax can preclear in Vancouver).

Anyways, there's a link to a trip report in my blog and I'm working on a video but way late!  It's a lot of fun trying different ships on the coastal itineraries.  Good time to read and check out shipboard activities.  In Victoria I've taken the mosquito fleet of water taxis to microbreweries just north of downtown as well as walk on some very nice trails.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

2. Be sure you will like 3 sea days in a row.  Some people get bored with all of the down time.  So, it depends on what type of person you are and what your interests are.

It ain't that bad.  There are only 2 sea days (at least for the quicker repos and not the slow coastal cruises).   Been on a voyage with almost 14 consecutive sailing days and only self-entertainment

NB

Day 0 Leave San Diego or San Pedro late afternoon

Day 1 at sea

Day 2 at sea

Day 3 arrive Victoria mid morning, leave late evening

Day 4 arrive Vancouver

The 5 day itineraries (rare these days it seems) add in San Francisco usually

SB (usual)

Day 0 Leave Vancouver late evening

Day 1 Victoria until mid afternoon

Day 2 at sea

Day 3 at sea

Day 4 San Diego (or San Pedro)

Be glad there are no stops in Port Angeles.  You only go there to get to Olympic NP I've overnighted once there and went there to pick up a parcel (2 hrs there precisely) which was more than enough.  I can see it from home.

• Like 1

Because I live near San Diego, I've done about 10 of these trips.......NB, SB, and to/from Los Angeles/Vancouver on Princess and NCL, too.

A few nights at sea is enough for me.....and usually I book airfare one way for under $200.

Luckily, I've always found the weather to be very pleasant in the spring (NB) or fall (SB).  

The ships are re-positioning in almost every instance.  Veranda rooms are usually priced within my budget.

Typical for Holland America in San Diego, 600 or so disembark and the same embark on these itineraries.  I've often seen 250-300 get off in Victoria on the NB trips.  

I would recommend visiting the Empress Hotel in Victoria for high tea.  We've also gone to local restaurants for the fresh oysters.

Vancouver is a very beautiful city, very "green" ecologically, and transfers from YVR Airport are quick and easy on SkyTrain.

David

Edited by DAllenTCY
  • Like 1

Victoria is lovely.  Don't waste your money on Buchart Garden unless it is a full day stop. Beacon Hill park is a nice walk from the dock or you can hire a pedicab . The landscaping is stunning and free. It is also fun to walk to fisherman's wharf and take the water taxi to the inner harbor. 

Edited by donswife

3 years ago , I got a Star Princess 4-nt repo from San Pedro to Vancouver for ~US$180+ taxes/fees (came up to C$342 each) well inside the final payment window (looks like less than 4 weeks to go); sign up for e-mail newsletters and flash sales.  That was for a verandah BF GTY and we got a B2. Outside and insides were US$10 less.  Complemented a RTW trip as we had a container ship voyage from HongKong to Long Beach and had not arranged how to get home yet; actually booked this cruise while travelling in China just before we got on the container ship.  Flying home with bags would have cost pretty well just as much and we were "homeless" at the time and would have needed 4 nts accommodation + food somewhere.  Unfortunately I would not recommend Star Princess as it was (mis-organised) chaos on-board as far as restaurant service goes.  Much worse than a 5 nt Island Princess repo (same direction) 4 years earlier.  A non issue for us but it was carry your own bags off in Vancouver as it was a "short" cruise.

Afternoon tea at the Empress is a total ripoff for what you get foodwise.  No one I know who lives locally (I am one of them now) has gone in decades,  if ever.  The deal sites have a 2-for-1 at the sister hotel in Vancouver airport so if you're flying down the coast, get an early evening flight and have tea befoe you fly home.

• Like 1

Just a further note; don't assume for certain that the ship will make the Victoria stop.  Last summer (and perhaps more specifically August), at least 3 ships missed the stop: Two (one being HAL's Amsterdam) because high winds made it too dangerous to dock and one (RSSC ship) because it had to search for a pax who had gone overboard.

• Like 1

We did HAL one time from SD (our home port ) repo cruise  to Victoria & then into Vancouver  for a 7 night Alaska cruise  .That cruise was 2 o3 days at sea & over all a 4 night cruise . We liked it . That being said ,we have done many 7 or longer night coastal cruises which included p[prts of Astoria Oregon , SF ,Monterey  ,Santa Barbara  & into San Pedro  or SD  ports .

The best coastal cruises imo are the 7 or longer cruises with many port stops . We have been to Victoria many times both on 5  Alaska  cruise & we stayed in a hotel for 4 nights . The inner harbor  has many super nice areas to visit .The RC Museum * I Max theatre is definitely worth while ,the Parliment  building  (we saw that when the tulips were out ) ,the Totem park  ,the empress Hotel minitaure display (facing the hotel go to the left side street & walk down . This was years ago but incredible display of the civil war ,SF  earthquake & many others  .We filmed ir all  . We have gone on a bus by the empress hotel tour of Scottys Castle ,very interesting . We walked the entire area even up to a Chinese Restaurant  & bought Canadian sweaters with a stron US dollar .

One time we took a rental car from Vancouver to Horseshoe Ferry on the Vancouver side .(huge ferries ) crossed by the Gulf Islands & saw pods of Orcas  to Nianimo  on Vancouver Island & then drove down to  Victoria 

Another fabulous place to visit is Buchart Gardens .They are world famous & we have seen them twice .They make the  very best vegie sandwich we ever tasted  .This is a must see imo

We will stop  in Victoria for 7 hours (Noon to 7 PM )  on our  Sept 17 ,2019  round trip  Alaska cruise aboard Royal Princess  from San Pedro ,a 12 night cruise  .In Victoria this cruise we plan to go again to the royal Canadian museum . Entry is just $13 Canadian or about $ 8.25 USA  .Definitely worth seeing  .If we do have extra time we will go to the left street of the Empress hotel to see if they have another minature world  display or I will google for that info before we leave 

We have a free shuttle from the victoria pier to the front of the Empress hotel 

what ever you do have a blast .Victoria is so very delightful:classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

Some info on Miniature World in the Empress Hotel (we entered from the left side street  facing the Empress hotel back a while ago ) Here is a link :

https://miniatureworld.com/ 

Cost for adults $16 Canadian =  $12.11 USD  entry fee(current conversion rate 1 /26/19) . Well worth it imo  for foreign conversion rates go to XE.com  .Use only credit cards with no exchange rate fees like the Chase Sapphire Preferred credit card which has a ton of perk like free trip & trip interruption ins up to $10000  each person paid for on a trip & free baggage  ins &  takes # one position on rental car damages  & if the promotion is still going spend $4000 in 90 days & get $500 rebate .Live that $500 there & you get 25% bonus  for travel items ($625 travel dollars ) the Credit card pays 2 points for each travel dollar spent & I think restaurants ;although check that  for restaurants . All point earned gets the 25% bonus left for things like airfares car rentals ,hotel stays & cruises  .Great credit card to have in my wallet .

When we book trips now all I need is medical & medical evacuation & I get that by calling the toll free number on the web site for insuremytrip.com .I have saved thousands of dollars in just the travel insurance part . We are 80 each & when a person reaches 70 yo the trip insurance  can easily be 10 to 12 % of the entire trip cost .I do not leave home with out my Chase Sapphire Preferred credit card  LOL:classic_biggrin:

Edited by mcrcruiser
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

We did HAL one time from SD (our home port ) repo cruise  to Victoria & then into Vancouver  for a 7 night Alaska cruise  .That cruise was 2 o3 days at sea & over all a 4 night cruise . We liked it . That being said ,we have done many 7 or longer night coastal cruises which included p[prts of Astoria Oregon , SF ,Monterey  ,Santa Barbara  & into San Pedro  or SD  ports .

The best coastal cruises imo are the 7 or longer cruises with many port stops . We have been to Victoria many times both on 5  Alaska  cruise & we stayed in a hotel for 4 nights . The inner harbor  has many super nice areas to visit .The RC Museum * I Max theatre is definitely worth while ,the Parliment  building  (we saw that when the tulips were out ) ,the Totem park  ,the empress Hotel minitaure display (facing the hotel go to the left side street & walk down . This was years ago but incredible display of the civil war ,SF  earthquake & many others  .We filmed ir all  . We have gone on a bus by the empress hotel tour of Scottys Castle ,very interesting . We walked the entire area even up to a Chinese Restaurant  & bought Canadian sweaters with a stron US dollar .

One time we took a rental car from Vancouver to Horseshoe Ferry on the Vancouver side .(huge ferries ) crossed by the Gulf Islands & saw pods of Orcas  to Nianimo  on Vancouver Island & then drove down to  Victoria 

Another fabulous place to visit is Buchart Gardens .They are world famous & we have seen them twice .They make the  very best vegie sandwich we ever tasted  .This is a must see imo

We will stop  in Victoria for 7 hours (Noon to 7 PM )  on our  Sept 17 ,2019  round trip  Alaska cruise aboard Royal Princess  from San Pedro ,a 12 night cruise  .In Victoria this cruise we plan to go again to the royal Canadian museum . Entry is just $13 Canadian or about $ 8.25 USA  .Definitely worth seeing  .If we do have extra time we will go to the left street of the Empress hotel to see if they have another minature world  display or I will google for that info before we leave 

We have a free shuttle from the victoria pier to the front of the Empress hotel 

what ever you do have a blast .Victoria is so very delightful:classic_biggrin:

Correction the $13.00  Canadian dollar   cost  = $9.84  USD ( per XE.com on 1/26/19)  conversion rate 

• Like 1

More info on Miniature world location & phone number :

https://miniatureworld.com/contact/

We feel this is a really great exhibit  to see while visiting Victoria   .Don;t miss all the other great places like the Parliment building ,Thunder Park , The Inner Harbor ,  British RC Museum   ,Buchart Gardens   in no special order .  We have just 7 hours ,so we  are picking Miniature World & the British RC museum .We have see all the other attractions  before including the inner harbor ,restaurants  ie 

• Like 1

Whale watching is great in Victoria.  We have whale watched in several different parts of the US and Canada and Victoria was the best.  There are different kinds of boats--we like the ones with restrooms.  They are all about the same price, so no need to waste time price shopping.

• Like 1

We did this cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam last year.  We stayed on the ship for the 7-day Alaska cruise.    Then we disembarked, spent the night and took the Emerald Princess back to Seattle.

Vancouver had a bad porter shortage, and we had to drag our own luggage  to the taxis.  They wouldn't let us use the empty carts nearby.  As it turned out, the taxi to the Pan Pacific was much cheaper than what I'd planned to tip the porters!

We took the Victoria Pedicab tour (private).  On the Emerald, we did the Butchart Gardens evening tour w/ Tapas and wine.   One year we did the Afternoon Tea at Butchart Gardens, and loved it.  The wine and tapas part not so much.

We've done the Victoria Pedicab tour four times, and loved it.  Each time, we see something different.  Our guide must keep notes.  And the Butchart Gardens is a lot of fun.  We'd suggest taking a ship tour to that one since traffic can be bad.

• Like 1

Tea at the Empress Hotel is ridiculously expensive, but everything was delicious so no rip-off in quality. Historic setting that has lost its original and authentic feel;  It is today a tourist attraction only.

But we don't regret it, nor buying the wonderful tea time recipe book and tiered china dessert server with the Empress Library ceiling pattern motif.  Yes, we did this up big time and have no regrets.  But you need to also bring a lot of imagination with you and try to recreate what these grand hotels were once like; but sadly no longer serve the same guest composition.

I visited this hotel and had tea as a child during Queen Elizabeth's coronation year in the 1950's so I had to go back. It was simply a hotel with the tradition over-stuffed lobby tea service back then. And it felt magical experiencing such a foreign tradition as an American child.  Now it is simply a tourist operation, but I still love visiting ghosts of my past.

I also love spending way too much money eating ice cream in St Marks Square in Venice too and listening to the orchestra schmaltz. Different strokes for different folks, Others spend just as much on their favorite bottles of wine onboard.  Or gambling. 

• Like 1

One thing to note about Victoria is you will probably get into port around 2 PM and stay until 11 PM.  (This is for the May sailing.) Although that is a stop of many hours, many attractions are not open at night.  So you should plan accordingly.

Things to see in Victoria, besides the gardens or the Fairmont Empress hotel, are the Craigdarroch Castle, the Royal British Columbia museum or the Parliament buildings.  Also note that the Empress is not the only place that offers high tea.

We have stayed plenty of times in both San Diego and Vancouver, both are lovely cities to extend your vacation.  

If you stay in Vancouver you may wish to visit Stanley Park, Granville Island, Grouse Mountain, Yaletown, or a museum or two.

If you stay in San Diego, you may wish to visit Balboa Park, the zoo, one of the beaches, the USS Midway, or the Gaslamp District. 

Whatever you decide to do, have a great cruise.

Edited by just_cruising_along
  • Like 1

My best prank ever.....

As we approached Victoria several years ago, I was in the Crow's Nest.  

As more gathered for the sail in and docking, I said "Look, the Celebrity Infinity and Holland Oosterdam are there"......we were about 5 miles away, and the ships were barely visible.  A few people asked if I could read the names from that distance.....and of course I went along with the gag.

I had previously seen on a website that both were to berth there before us.

David

• Like 1

On 1/26/2019 at 12:41 PM, OlsSalt said:

Tea at the Empress Hotel is ridiculously expensive, but everything was delicious so no rip-off in quality. Historic setting that has lost its original and authentic feel;  It is today a tourist attraction only.

. . .

Our Pedicab guide told us the Empress were under new management.    And they're removed all the ivy from the front.  I'm not even sure they're offering the tea anymore.  I think the shore excursion for afternoon tea was somewhere else.

1 hour ago, knittinggirl said:

Our Pedicab guide told us the Empress were under new management.    And they're removed all the ivy from the front.  I'm not even sure they're offering the tea anymore.  I think the shore excursion for afternoon tea was somewhere else.

Misinformation.  It used to fly the CP (Canadian Pacific) Hotels brand until that was spun of from the parent company (a railway chartered to essentially expand Canada) and adopted the Fairmont name.  CP even used to have a steamship line which provided the first ship (chartered) for Princess cruises.

Ivy?  Destructive, invasive and hard-to-kill nuisance.  Even the "ivy league"  universities (only 8 of them though some falsely claim to be) have long-removed ivy from the sides of their buildings as it destroys bricks and mortar.

And afternoon tea is still very much offered.  Huge profit centre.  Do note last sitting is 4pm  I understand afternoon tea is available after this time for ship excursions (both the hotel and cruiseco can gouge).

16 minutes ago, cruising cockroach said:

Misinformation.  It used to fly the CP (Canadian Pacific) Hotels brand until that was spun of from the parent company (a railway chartered to essentially expand Canada) and adopted the Fairmont name.  CP even used to have a steamship line which provided the first ship (chartered) for Princess cruises.

Ivy?  Destructive, invasive and hard-to-kill nuisance.  Even the "ivy league"  universities (only 8 of them though some falsely claim to be) have long-removed ivy from the sides of their buildings as it destroys bricks and mortar.

And afternoon tea is still very much offered.  Huge profit centre.  Do note last sitting is 4pm  I understand afternoon tea is available after this time for ship excursions (both the hotel and cruiseco can gouge).

Memory isn't want it used to be.  We heard critters would climb up the ivy and remove shiny stuff from the rooms.

Edited by knittinggirl