Am I the only one who thinks night dock in San Juan is a waste?

mja2573

4 minutes ago, Surfsup2017 said:

I don't know anything about maritime law,  but I wonder if the port stop has anything to do with the Jones Act (US port). 

I dont think so considering we are in St. Thomas the whole next day.

..."but the last time I sailed to San Juan (on MSC) they managed to do a 3 port itinerary, all day time stops, including a 9am to 1am stop in San Juan. It can be done."..... 

This did indeed used to be the port time for MSC. But not any more - its now very similar to NCL i think maybe they leave at 1am.

1 hour ago, mja2573 said:

I looked into this.  The night we are there happens to be a full moon.  Everything I read says that it's not worth going when it's a full moon.   Not sure if that is true.

Well its true werewolves are out and about on a full moon. :classic_biggrin:

See the source image

Seriously though if you're not into the party scene when arriving later in the evening ( still be careful of your surroundings )its like a wasted port . Not unless you want to take that free shuttle bus to Walmart and pick up a few things that you may need. 

Edited by BoDidly

1 hour ago, Surfsup2017 said:

I don't know anything about maritime law,  but I wonder if the port stop has anything to do with the Jones Act (US port). 

The Jones Act has nothing to do with passenger cruises. You are thinking of the Passenger Vessel Sevices Act.  But you do know that San Juan is in the U.S., right?

4 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

The Jones Act has nothing to do with passenger cruises. You are thinking of the Passenger Vessel Sevices Act.  But you do know that San Juan is in the U.S., right?

HAHA very funny, of course I know its the US.  And somehow the Jones Act does apply, I once asked if I could jump ship off a cruise  that started in New York when I got to Key West, and NCL told me no, that it was an issue with the Jones Act.   Just thinking US port to US port (Puerto Rico), cruise the Caribbean, last port US port (St Thomas), back to US being somehow advantageous to NCL from some tariff standpoint or whatever.

HAHA very funny, of course I know its the US.  And somehow the Jones Act does apply, I once asked if I could jump ship off a cruise  that started in New York when I got to Key West, and NCL told me no, that it was an issue with the Jones Act.   Just thinking US port to US port (Puerto Rico), cruise the Caribbean, last port US port (St Thomas), back to US being somehow advantageous to NCL from some tariff standpoint or whatever.

I think cruises that leave and return to the same US Port do not come under any of these acts...But I'm far from an expert.  

I’ll say it again.  The Jones Act does not apply to the transport of passengers, only cargo. I’ve told you which law does in fact govern the transport of passengers between U.S. ports. (And neither has anything to do with the OP’s evening port call in San Juan.)

Edited by Turtles06

On 1/28/2019 at 2:27 PM, PTC DAWG said:

Old Town is pretty cool at night, some nice restaurants, etc....I am cruising in April on MSC and we arrive at San Juan at 5 PM and depart at 1 AM I believe...the Bride and I are looking forward to it.  Sail away should be nice too.

I agree with this! We are on the Jade in March and have a 3-10pm port stop in San Juan. I researched the dining scene and made dinner reservations at a nice restaurant. I'm really looking forward to this stop! We've been to San Juan before and had a chance to tour the area or I might feel differently. 

32 minutes ago, Pauser said:

I agree with this! We are on the Jade in March and have a 3-10pm port stop in San Juan. I researched the dining scene and made dinner reservations at a nice restaurant. I'm really looking forward to this stop! We've been to San Juan before and had a chance to tour the area or I might feel differently. 

Wanna share your research?  Where are you eating?

On 1/31/2019 at 10:59 AM, thunter1224 said:

I will be there from 4pm to 11pm  on Dec. 4th 2019.. but I also seen they are already decorated for the holidays .. so the streets have all their lights up with music playing .. so I won't mind the night docking.  

That would be very cool to see

For the first visit probably it is not a good time. Although during one of later visits with NCL we did El Yunque.

If it is not the first time I'd go to https://sanjuanpuertorico.com/balneario-el-escambron-beach/

You need to go up to San Cristobal fort and further and then to the right along the ocean. Beautiful walk.

If not ... then just walking the streets of San Juan is nice.

On 1/30/2019 at 3:46 PM, mja2573 said:

Wanna share your research?  Where are you eating?

I made reservations at Azabache, but there are several great restaurants closer to the port. I looked on Trip Advisor, Yelp, and Puerto Rico forums. 

San Juan is a great place to visit at night.  We try to spend a couple days in San Juan pre-cruise if possible to enjoy it both in the day and at night.

That said, I have an upcoming cruise booked and it stops in San Juan 3 pm til 11 pm.  Not really happy about that because the reason I book a cruise is to enjoy the beaches or do daytime activities.  I have seen cruises such as the OP is mentioning and I specifically cross them off my list of cruises to consider for that reason.  If I want to experience San Juan at night, I will stay there and enjoy it after the ships have left port.  There are lots of other ships out there with better itineraries and port times.  I choose to pick them over the evening port stops (only exception to me is the opportunity to do a night scuba dive while in port - but not in Puerto Rico - which I am overjoyed at the opportunity if it arises).

San Juan at night is actually a lot of fun. As someone posted earlier, unlike other places that shut down at night San Juan is still hopping. Also, two of my favorite restaurants I've ever been to are located in PR.  The Metropol and Cafe Puerto Rico. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Sand and Seas said:

Can you walk from the NCL dock area to restaurants and other places to visit?

Is it close to Old Town?

Its been over 20 years since we were last in San Juan and that wasn't with NCL. 

Yes, ships dock in Old City when visiting SJ

On 1/30/2019 at 1:26 PM, Turtles06 said:

I’ll say it again.  The Jones Act does not apply to the transport of passengers, only cargo. I’ve told you which law does in fact govern the transport of passengers between U.S. ports. (And neither has anything to do with the OP’s evening port call in San Juan.)

Here is a good explanation of the PVS Act  https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=3363

Edited by coin ops