Why rush to board?

Our arrival to the ship is dependent on the ship. If we travel, we probably arrive early.  If it's the local shortie, we arrive around the time cabins are ready. If its Oasis class, we arrive early and head to deck 17. 😁

I think maybe a lot of this discussion depends on your point in life too.  If you are retired lets say and cruise and vacation multiple times a year you are less likely to need or want to be on the ship early and rather wait till lines and such are died down.  Similar to those that fly all the time.  They don't want to be at the airport any longer than they know is needed.   But if you work full time and maybe only get to take one big trip a year, that you have planned for months and count each day closer, you are most likely wanting to take advantage of as much of the ship and the vacation as you can.  That is kind of where we are at.  Work hard and look forward to vacation.  When it vacation time finally arrives we want to enjoy every minute of it no matter if waiting in a line we are happy and enjoy every bit we paid for.  If we paid for Day 1 no point in starting it half way through?  Again its personal preference, what suits you, your lifestyle, etc.  For us, see if you can beat us onboard; cause were gonna be those people at the front of the line counting the seconds to start the vacation :) 

• Like 5

If it hasn't been said already, the length of the cruise would play a major factor for me.  If it were a short 3-4 day cruise, then those extra few hours are a significant portion of the overall time on the ship and I would really want to maximize the time I have.

If it's 7+ days, it's pretty insignificant when you arrive IMO. 

This is one of those instances that has no right or wrong answer, just personal preference.  We can all state our preference, but I don't expect anyone to agree with me.  

Dan

A few years ago we were on a cruise from Venice, and arrived at the port around 1pm.  It was absolutely jammed.  It took us 45 minutes to check in and board.  I'm not sure why, it may have been all of the people flying in the day of.  In any event, I just wanted to say that it isn't always empty at 1pm, and may be port dependent.

• Like 1

On 2/6/2019 at 2:09 PM, Host Clarea said:

They probably are concerned about getting space in the overhead storage.

That is sometimes us you are talking about because we do not wish to check our carry on bags (even though they offer that service for free if overhead bins are full) because we are sometimes pressed for time and do not wish to have to wait in the baggage area for our luggage.

On 2/7/2019 at 9:17 AM, gatour said:

You are incorrect.  They are well paid.   One of the ports in Florida even had signs up that tipping is not needed.  However I tip when we drop off our luggage.  Disembarking we sometimes use porters other times not.  If we use them, I tip.  At the old Royal Terminal several times the porter even took our luggage all the way to our car in the garage.  We were almost the last ones off the ship so he wasn't going to get another "run".  I gave them an extra large in those cases.

I know that the majority of the porters are not full time. But nothing I am to going to say is going to make a non tipper tip. They do not tip because they do not want to and look for reasons to justify their stance.

On 2/7/2019 at 3:19 PM, FrankNBrew said:

I get priority boarding on Delta too, but I always check a bag so I don't care if I'm last on board the plane. I like when they call my name over the PA system. I feel important. 😂

I check a bag or two, but still have carry one.  And really don't want it in the area I use for my feet. 🙂

On 2/6/2019 at 7:19 PM, The Fun Researcher said:

Oh please, let’s take this to the extreme. Yes, it does amuse me.   I’m glad all those people didn’t die from DVT because they stood up the instant the light went off!!!  Whew!

Take a look the next time you fly. Most people aren’t getting up to stretch their legs, they are instantly trying to open the overhead and grab luggage. Which amuses me considering they are going to be waiting probably another 3 to 5 minutes before the door even opens. 

Dan

And then there are those who do not stand up until everyone in front of them is moving, and THEN they start gathering their stuff, and hold up ALL the people sitting further back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SRF said:

And then there are those who do not stand up until everyone in front of them is moving, and THEN they start gathering their stuff, and hold up ALL the people sitting further back.

Only so many can fit in the aisle so most will have to stay seated. If I check a bag I am in no rush to get off of the plane only to stand at the luggage carousel ,especially at JFK where it takes forever for them to unload the plane.  I know this is off topic but the airlines are starting to piss me off with the carryon situation. They charge for the first bag which results in more people taking a carryon and a personal item. JetBlue in West Palm Beach is famous for asking people to volunteer to check their carryon at the gate before you start boarding. This is so counter productive and time consuming. If plan my wardrobe around a carryon I want to carry it on. I don't want to be fumbling around at the gate pulling out medication and electronics so they can check my bag. 

Edited by Iamcruzin

2 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

know this is off topic but the airlines are starting to piss me off with the carryon situation. They charge for the first bag which results in more people taking a carryon and a personal item.

Totally agree.  In fact, I think airlines should start charging for the convenience of carry-on luggage. I've been on a few flights that were late pushing back from the gate b/c overcrowded overhead bins.

Then there are those that seem to really stretch the boundaries of allowable size on carry-on and personal items.  Those people are worse than if you crossed a chair-hog with a non-tipper :classic_laugh:    (see how I brought it back to cruising)

• Like 1

On 2/13/2019 at 8:18 AM, Iamcruzin said:

Only so many can fit in the aisle so most will have to stay seated.

Yes, but once the person in the aisle seat has gone, you can get up, and retrieve your stuff WITHOUT BEING IN THE AISLE.  

And possibly, organize your other stuff, from around your seat to be ready to go.

My complaint is someone who waits, gets up, stands in the aisle, rooting around their seat for all their stuff, then taking down their carry on, and carefully stashing all their junk.

• Like 1