Sanctuary while going through Glacier Bay

southerngoose

Hi...I'm going on  a cruise to Alaska that spends a day scenic cruising "through" Glacier Bay National Park.   I read that on days like this, there might be a scenic day pass for the Sanctuary.  

1. Can I buy this pass in advance?   If not, where do I go to buy?
  2. If I have to buy this on the ship, what is the earliest I can get on the ship to purchase this pass?   I was told to be there at noon.   Does this mean "get in line at 11am?" or?
  3. Have you sat in the Sanctuary on an Alaska cruise?   I'm going in early May - will I be frozen?  How long will there be a "scenic view"...is it really scenic for 7 hours?  Or do you take some photos at the "good" areas then rest and read while waiting for the next "good" place to come up?  
  4. Does the Sanctuary have "in and out" privileges?
  5. Can I use my Soda Pass to get drinks in the Sanctuary or do I need to pay extra (I want carbonated water, diet coke and such

thanks!!!

I would never do this.

You want to move around on glacier days - not be stuck in one location. Not sure which ship you are on but I like Deck 7 (covered) on most ships - not on Royal Princess.

On Grand class ships you can go forward and aft and port and starboard easily and it is not crowded.

Edited by Coral

We're going on Grand Princess to Alaska on May 6.  I have not been to Alaska before but I have been on the Grand and I have been to the Sanctuary.  My husband and I went on Grand Princess from San Francisco to Hawaii in November 2 or 3 years ago.  We signed up for a day in the Sanctuary on one of the first few sea days.  We were VERY cold.  We wrapped up in towels and enjoyed the special Sanctuary menu but finally gave up and went inside. We were the only people there other than the staff.  I don't remember there being an unobstructed view of the ocean from the front of the ship.  What I recall is that it was pretty well enclosed to keep the wind down.  I'll check my pictures to see if I am remembering correctly. Based on what I have read of the temperature in Alaska in early May, I'm thinking the Sanctuary will be pretty chilly.  But then again, we'll be prepared for that whereas we were not for the Hawaii cruise.   If the view is unobstructed, I am intrigued by the idea of being in the Sanctuary for "scenic cruising."  This is our first time on a cruise with "scenic cruising" so I am not sure what to expect. 

I'm sure the staff would bring you a soda.  They serve food and drinks there. 

I'm sure there are in and out privileges because you sign up for whole or half day.  

I was under the impression that if you wanted to go to the Sanctuary, you should go and reserve as soon as you got on.  That is what we did--hence why we had the bad luck of selecting a cold, overcast day.  Unless something has changed, you have to sign up on the ship.

We usually get to the port by 10:30 or 11 so we can get on the ship asap 🙂 

1 hour ago, southerngoose said:

Hi...I'm going on  a cruise to Alaska that spends a day scenic cruising "through" Glacier Bay National Park.   I read that on days like this, there might be a scenic day pass for the Sanctuary.  

2. If I have to buy this on the ship, what is the earliest I can get on the ship to purchase this pass?   I was told to be there at noon.   Does this mean "get in line at 11am?" or?
  3. Have you sat in the Sanctuary on an Alaska cruise?   I'm going in early May - will I be frozen?  How long will there be a "scenic view"...is it really scenic for 7 hours?  Or do you take some photos at the "good" areas then rest and read while waiting for the next "good" place to come up?  
  5. Can I use my Soda Pass to get drinks in the Sanctuary or do I need to pay extra (I want carbonated water, diet coke and such

thanks!!!

Agree with no Sanctuary. There are MANY obstructions in the Sanctuary, including an overhead canopy, which will spoil the views. The last time I was in GB on Princess, the Sanctuary was empty. It simply isn't designed for scenic cruising.

Compare the sea-to-sky views inside Glacier Bay to the sad Sanctuary.

p5222254.jpg&key=25f9f2d537677d257a3ba50

CrownPrincessGlacierBay-1.jpg.2adcff8617

Sad Obstructed Sanctuary:

sanctuary-1.1.jpg

sanctuary-hero.jpg

19 minutes ago, Outerdog said:

Agree with no Sanctuary. There are MANY obstructions in the Sanctuary, including an overhead canopy, which will spoil the views. The last time I was in GB on Princess, the Sanctuary was empty. It simply isn't designed for scenic cruising.

Agree .... It's not the best place for viewing.

21 minutes ago, southerngoose said:

Thanks guys.   I didn't realize how obstructed the sanctuary would be.   sheesh.  🙂

I agree with those that don't recommend the Sanctuary but looks like you already took that advice.  

We've gone to Alaska several times but only once with cruising up in Glacier Bay National Park.  You are in for something special!!  We went in September and the weather was phenomenal.  We hung out on our balcony the entire day and yes, it is scenic cruising for hours on end.  It was chilly in the early  morning hours but shorts and t-shirt weather into the afternoon hours.  May will probably be much colder, though. 

We did sail up in Alaska in May a couple of times and one had awesome weather and the other time it was very rainy.  You could get either.  If you have a balcony, it is a wonderful place to hang out all day.  If not, the open decks are wonderful for viewing because you can really get clear unobstructed views of everything you want to see by just moving around the ship.  When you are sailing up the fjords to the Glacier, the ship moves slowly so not a lot of wind from the ship's speed ... but if it is windy out, there is no hiding from that unless you find a seat somewhere near the windows inside.  

Oh ... keep in mind that no disposable cups, straws, (napkins?), etc are provided while in Glacier Bay.  If you want to get a cup of coffee to go, they will have to put it in a plastic cup ... the ones they use at the water stations in the buffet.  

9 hours ago, southerngoose said:

thanks!!!

I used the Sanctuary for Glacier Bay in June.

Each to his own; as no one has posted re using Sanctuary, thought I'd give my experience. I would use the Sanctuary again for scenic cruising; I book a balcony cabin. My experience was perfect. I like the lack of crowds and found it so relaxing as Serenity Stewards wait on you all day. I stepped outside Sanctuary for open deck.

1. You go to Sanctuary as soon as you board and purchase the pass (cost approx $80) There is a  max. of approx 60 pax. booking availability. My voyage was sold out.

2. Depends on when Princess start boarding, queues, or if you have Priority boarding.

3. Yes. You have a reserved lounger for the day, from 8am to 5pm  Loungers are arranged in 2 rows; all had perfect views.

I dressed in layers with scarf, gloves, beanie etc.; just as you would for open deck. Princess provide  complimentary ear muffs to keep, blankets, towel pillows. I was not frozen; the Sanctuary by  design provides wind breaks and shelter from rain in a lot of areas. Yes it is scenic all the time; you can  move in and out to uncovered deck area beside Sanctuary or anywhere.

4.  Yes. Complimentary breakfast, cocktail, soup, morning/afternoon tea, hot lunch,  pastries,  cookies, fruit, fruit juices, tea, coffee, hot chocolate all day. The Serenity Stewards provide personal service.Complimentary  photo in front of Glacier. 

5.  Stewards will serve your beverages.

Wherever you choose to be, you are in for spectacular scenery. Bon Voyage.

Edited by NeptuneSeas

7 hours ago, NeptuneSeas said:

I used the Sanctuary for Glacier Bay in June.

Each to his own; as no one has posted re using Sanctuary, thought I'd give my experience. I would use the Sanctuary again for scenic cruising; I book a balcony cabin. My experience was perfect. I like the lack of crowds and found it so relaxing as Serenity Stewards wait on you all day. I stepped outside Sanctuary for open deck.

1. You go to Sanctuary as soon as you board and purchase the pass (cost approx $80) There is a  max. of approx 60 pax. booking availability. My voyage was sold out.

2. Depends on when Princess start boarding, queues, or if you have Priority boarding.

3. Yes. You have a reserved lounger for the day, from 8am to 5pm  Loungers are arranged in 2 rows; all had perfect views.

I dressed in layers with scarf, gloves, beanie etc.; just as you would for open deck. Princess provide  complimentary ear muffs to keep, blankets, towel pillows. I was not frozen; the Sanctuary by  design provides wind breaks and shelter from rain in a lot of areas. Yes it is scenic all the time; you can  move in and out to uncovered deck area beside Sanctuary or anywhere.

4.  Yes. Complimentary breakfast, cocktail, soup, morning/afternoon tea, hot lunch,  pastries,  cookies, fruit, fruit juices, tea, coffee, hot chocolate all day. The Serenity Stewards provide personal service.Complimentary  photo in front of Glacier. 

5.  Stewards will serve your beverages.

Wherever you choose to be, you are in for spectacular scenery. Bon Voyage.

I really think it depends on what ship you are on. 

We were on the Coral Princess in June this past year.  We thought it was money well spent.  Coral Princess Sanctuary is in the aft section with NO plexiglass enclosures on the deck.  Everything is wide open!  Neptune Seas is accurate with what you get for the day.

As Coral suggested, I went out and about trying different areas of the ship and I was quite happy with what we chose.  I did not feel I missed anything by being in the Sanctuary, but not every ship in Princess fleet in AK would have the viewing like the Coral Princess.

We were on an Alaskan cruise last September on the Grand and we had great weather (which is not typical) when we were in Glacier Bay, however, if you are in the shade, you will freeze.  We were on the Lido deck to start and I was sucking down all the coffee drinks I could get my hands on and I was miserable until we went to the sun deck.  I was even able to take off my jacket on the sun deck.  It was a beautiful sunny day.

Others that have said you will want to move around, that is true. The ship does slowly pivot so that all passengers get a view of the glaciers though.  Sun, if you have it, will be your friend.  

If the sanctuary is your thing, reserve it as soon as you board the ship.  They sell out fast for some reason...at least the good seats do.

Guys...I know this will sound silly.  Regardless of where I stand, how long will I be interested in looking at a Glacier?   Am I really entranced for 7 hrs?   Or do they announce "Good view coming up" and everyone runs out?   Or do you pop out every 1/2 hr for "new scenery" since the boat will drive slowly for a good view ?     I want to do this viewing "correctly" because this is a bucket list item and at the rate I'm going, this may be the one trip to Alaska.    But I also am unclear whether staring at ice for 7 hrs is what most people do.

Sorry for the dumb sounding question.   I've been on cruises before but like when we went through the Strait of Gibraltar, everyone ran out to look "Oooh, ahhhh".   1/2 hr later, it was over.  Everyone waved at the land, the folks on land waved.    Sort of like when you fly to Hawaii (which I've done too many times to count), the captain says "On our right you'll see the big island of Hawaii" and half the plane shifts to the other side for a look...that whole adventure lasts 15 mins or less, then we fly into HNL.    

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, southerngoose said:

Guys...I know this will sound silly.  Regardless of where I stand, how long will I be interested in looking at a Glacier?   Am I really entranced for 7 hrs?   Or do they announce "Good view coming up" and everyone runs out?   Or do you pop out every 1/2 hr for "new scenery" since the boat will drive slowly for a good view ?     I want to do this viewing "correctly" because this is a bucket list item and at the rate I'm going, this may be the one trip to Alaska.    But I also am unclear whether staring at ice for 7 hrs is what most people do.

Sorry for the dumb sounding question.   I've been on cruises before but like when we went through the Strait of Gibraltar, everyone ran out to look "Oooh, ahhhh".   1/2 hr later, it was over.  Everyone waved at the land, the folks on land waved.    Sort of like when you fly to Hawaii (which I've done too many times to count), the captain says "On our right you'll see the big island of Hawaii" and half the plane shifts to the other side for a look...that whole adventure lasts 15 mins or less, then we fly into HNL.    

I can only speak for myself.  This was the most breathtaking scenery I've ever seen.  I could not stop looking all around.  The ship slowly, without hardly any wake, makes its way up through glacier bay and goes into the inlets where you view each of the glaciers.  Each one is different and each time the ship will move in very close and pivot.  It's amazing how close you get!  

We moved around the sun deck a bit.  There are chairs and we sat at times and were at the rail at times.  When you think you have heard someone shoot a gun, do not be alarmed.  It is the ice cracking and it is very loud!  I laugh every time I think about the first time I heard it.  I was like "what the heck!?!  Someone shot a gun?!?" 

There is no narrating over the ship's PA system while at the glaciers.  In the morning there is a presentation in the theater where one of the park rangers will provide a lot of information and I think there is some narrating while making the journey up into Glacier Bay, but none at the glaciers.  

This cruise has been my absolute favorite thus far and while I am sure I will enjoy the next, there is something so special about Alaska and the beauty that has been untouched by humans.

• Like 1

Glacier Bay is more than a ‘bay’ it’s fjord, 50 miles long.  A U.S. Park Service Ranger boards the ship at the entrance (near Gustavus, AK) and provides narration during the day.  The narration can be heard on deck and in public rooms.  It’s also broadcast on your stateroom TV.  Glacier Bay is the most scenic of all scenic cruising in Alaska.   

The glaciers are only at the upper most reaches of the ‘bay’ (they have retreated over the years) but there is still a lot to see, natural flora and fauna, think whales, otters, eagles, etc.  You don’t have to be on deck the whole time.  You can watch from your balcony.  You basically do a gaint ‘T’ up the bay and back.  

But be prepared.  Depending on where you are from it will be cold or not, but it will most likely be cloudy and damp if not drizzly.  Even in summer only 4 days out of each month are sunny in SE Alaska.  Polar Fleece, waterproof shell, gloves, cap or sock cap, and water resistant athletic shoes, and the order of the day while in Alaska.  Actually if you want to look like a native, Xtratuf Alaska Sneakers are the footwear of the day (look it up).  

• Like 1

We did an AK cruise w my 10 year old grandaughter.  The 3 of us were up on deck taking in the Glacier Bay scenery .  She looked down into the sanctuary area and asked why those people were down there where they could not see.  I guess that my 10 year old granddaughter is smarter than many of the people on the ship.

DON

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Coffeeluvr05 said:

I can only speak for myself.  This was the most breathtaking scenery I've ever seen.  I could not stop looking all around.  The ship slowly, without hardly any wake, makes its way up through glacier bay and goes into the inlets where you view each of the glaciers.  Each one is different and each time the ship will move in very close and pivot.  It's amazing how close you get!  

We moved around the sun deck a bit.  There are chairs and we sat at times and were at the rail at times.  When you think you have heard someone shoot a gun, do not be alarmed.  It is the ice cracking and it is very loud!  I laugh every time I think about the first time I heard it.  I was like "what the heck!?!  Someone shot a gun?!?" 

There is no narrating over the ship's PA system while at the glaciers.  In the morning there is a presentation in the theater where one of the park rangers will provide a lot of information and I think there is some narrating while making the journey up into Glacier Bay, but none at the glaciers.  

This cruise has been my absolute favorite thus far and while I am sure I will enjoy the next, there is something so special about Alaska and the beauty that has been untouched by humans.

I'm with you ... cannot tear myself away from the breathtaking scenery.  We had a naturalist one time that described the glaciers as being a color of blue they haven't come up with a name for.  isn't that the truth??  

And watching the calving is amazing.  All the wildlife had me taking a gazillion photos.... whales, eagles, seals, etc. 

We were lucky enough to have great weather (actually very warm) the day we were in Glacier Bay.  I thought it reminded me of Thailand.  The water takes on an aqua blue color ... totally unexpected for Alaska ... up against the beach areas along the shore line.  The color is supposedly from the plankton ... at least that's what I think I heard.  

I've been to Alaska a dozen times and I never tire of viewing the glaciers and all the surrounding scenery and wildlife ... and for hours on end.  It's why we choose Alaska so often!  

• Like 1