Changing cabin / category after booking - HELP

Presto2

Hi, help would be very much appreciated with this one at the minute.

We have a cabin booked on Edge.

If we see a cabin we prefer:

1: Can we change cabin?

2: I am guessing there is a fee for moving if we can

3: If we change category is there an additional charge?

4: If we change category what is the cost? Do we pay what the cabin is worth now? We want to move to a cabin that is currently less than the one we booked but more than the one we booked when we booked it. (Hope you kept up with that one!) Ha ha

5: Do they cancel and then rebook the cruise? If so do we have to start all over again with excursions etc etc

6: If it becomes a new booking I guess we do not keep any perks we got the first time -- i.e. a free drinks package

Thanks

The Celebrity Ts & Cs vary according to your home country in many cases so I don’t think there is one answer.  Also many people talk of the cruise line being willing to do something that falls outside the Ts & Cs - they must be the lucky ones. Best to check locally with your TA (or Celebrity if you booked direct).

• Like 1

In the US, this is not a problem at all...especially if it is before final payment--since deposits are fully refundable to that point.

In the UK, laws are different and, often, there will be a fee for canceling and re-booking...

However, this should not be a case of doing that...

We have many times changed cabins or category after our initial booking...

Often, we have done it to upgrade our original booking...and I don't think Celebrity ever has a problem with that--they make more money off your upgrade.  But, we've also changed our cabin within the same category--moving, for example from one C2 to another.  Even though I've booked through a TA, I was able to do that easily with one simple call to Celebrity.

Oh, and, yes, they will base the cost of the new cabin on CURRENT pricing--not based on the time you booked...plus any perks are based on current deals--so, for example, if your original rate included, say, free drink package and free gratuities and the current pricing does not, you would lose those perks.

Edited by Bruin Steve

If you booked with a UK TA you need to get them to see what can be done. If it is just a case of changing cabin, especially if you are willing to upgrade it should be ok. I can tell you that we have a booking for later this year that we want to change to another cruise and Celebrity UK won’t allow us to keep the perks even though it was booked with the future cruise desk on our last cruise. They told us onboard that we could change and take the perks with us.  Celebrity won’t budge on this. In future all our cruises will be booked with a US TA. Much more flexibility. Hopefully you might have more success. 

Edited by sandancer

Thanks for the responses so far. To be honest it isn't looking good really is it?

We are ok to pay a little more for the move, but would not be happy not to have the free AI Classic Drinks package as this is quite a saving when we booked and we factored it into the cost of the cruise when we booked.

At this point, since you know what you have and where you want to move, you might as well, rather than fret about it, just call up and ask...

Either they will tell you "no problem"...or they'll tell you that there's a fee and whether or not you keep your drink package...and you can make the choice then if it's worth it...

Edited by Bruin Steve

7 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

At this point, since you know what you have and where you want to move, you might as well, rather than fret about it, just call up and ask...

Either they will tell you "no problem"...or they'll tell you that there's a fee and whether or not you keep your drink package...and you can make the choice then if it's worth it...

It isn't that simple - long story as the TA is a bit slow off the ground on this one. (They are usually amazing so just don't know what is going on). Was going to phone myself by call centre now closed and back to work tomorrow so won't have the time to phone them and discuss.

Take this the right way --- have turned to CC as I know that we can get some really good answers and advice from you guys

Will let you know how things go but am worried that the cabin we have seen will not be free long … :-(

22 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Will let you know how things go but am worried that the cabin we have seen will not be free long … 😞

Presto2  -- I don't know if it's the same in the UK, but in the past, I have done a 24-hour courtesy hold on the X website and had my TA secure the cabin the next day.  It took awhile on the phone, and the TA called X and then conferenced me into the call, but it was worth it to get the cabin I wanted.

1 minute ago, Jazzbo said:

Presto2  -- I don't know if it's the same in the UK, but in the past, I have done a 24-hour courtesy hold on the X website and had my TA secure the cabin the next day.  It took awhile on the phone, and the TA called X and then conferenced me into the call, but it was worth it to get the cabin I wanted.

Hi, funnily enough I was just checking the cabin out and got as far as filling in details thinking I could hold the cabin. I will go back and have another look. You've just confirmed what I was thinking. Thanks. Wish us luck

1 hour ago, Bruin Steve said:

In the US, this is not a problem at all...especially if it is before final payment--since deposits are fully refundable to that point.

Careful with that advice.  Celebrity is selling cabins with non-refundable deposits on some promorions in the USA.

In the U.S. I have changed cabins both before and after final payments with no problem.  On bookings I had directly with Celebrity I seem to remember I could do it myself.   With an agent I had to call the agent and have them do it.  I've read of many that change cabins within the same category when doing a Guarantee cabin.

I've never had a non-refundable but wouldn't think changing a cabin would not be a problem as you are not cancelling your cabin.   

47 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Hi, funnily enough I was just checking the cabin out and got as far as filling in details thinking I could hold the cabin. I will go back and have another look. You've just confirmed what I was thinking. Thanks. Wish us luck

Good luck!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Presto2 said:

Hi, help would be very much appreciated with this one at the minute.

We have a cabin booked on Edge.

If we see a cabin we prefer:

1: Can we change cabin?

2: I am guessing there is a fee for moving if we can

3: If we change category is there an additional charge?

4: If we change category what is the cost? Do we pay what the cabin is worth now? We want to move to a cabin that is currently less than the one we booked but more than the one we booked when we booked it. (Hope you kept up with that one!) Ha ha

5: Do they cancel and then rebook the cruise? If so do we have to start all over again with excursions etc etc

6: If it becomes a new booking I guess we do not keep any perks we got the first time -- i.e. a free drinks package

Thanks

Hi presto 2, 

Also from the UK.

In our experience each change for the first two passengers in a cabin is £75. If you are Captains Club Elite or above one free change. So yes you can change cabin but at a fee. This is assuming you are staying in the same category.

If you upgrade to another category the new category you move to must be more expensive than the one you are leaving, if you upgrade they may waiver the £75 fee. Your TA should be able to help here. You need to check which perks you keep. Do not assume they will stay.

They do not usually cancel and rebook unless you ask them to and only in certain (serious price dropping) circumstances is this worth while as you loose you deposit. 

Excursions should swap with you if you simply change cabin but check...

As you are booked through a TA I would put your scenario to them and see what they can do. I would honestly look at upgrading (price wise) to a more expensive/better room  and hope by doing that the £75 each will not be applied and you will get a better cruise experience than you originally budgeted for. Make sure your TA has in writing the perks you would have and that you clearly understand anything you may have lost in the exchange...For example, you could swap to a better cabin at the same price because of the ‘second person half price offer’ but then find it doesn’t come with a drinks offer....

A serious three way conversation is necessary between you, your TA and X to work out and clearly explain to you all options...

Edited by chemmo

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I have posted on a similar thread but wanted to let folk know how we have gone on with this question as it always seems to good to let those who have replied to questions know how you have gone on.

We have been able to change cabin grade (YEAAAHHH) from an E2 cabin to a SV cabin. Even though the SV was cheaper when we originally booked, we have had to pay an extra £700 to move as the SV has been priced at today's prices. Am still not convinced as it doesn't seem fair that, even now the E2 cabins are more expensive than the SV cabins, but it is a special anniversary and we really wanted to move to the SV cabin. We had to go on the 'wait list' for one to come available so we know that we are lucky to be able to move.

We keep all of the perks we got when we originally booked.

Very happy tonight and again, thanks to everyone who helped us with the information above as it has all come in really helpful to get our 'dream cabin' - particularly when a similar one  we were looking at last week was sold and we missed it.

Edited by Presto2

3 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Hi, I have posted on a similar thread but wanted to let folk know how we have gone on with this question as it always seems to good to let those who have replied to questions know how you have gone on.

We have been able to change cabin grade (YEAAAHHH) from an E2 cabin to a SV cabin. Even though the SV was cheaper when we originally booked, we have had to pay an extra £700 to move as the SV has been priced at today's prices. Am still not convinced as it doesn't seem fair that, even now the E2 cabins are more expensive than the SV cabins, but it is a special anniversary and we really wanted to move to the SV cabin. We had to go on the 'wait list' for one to come available so we know that we are lucky to be able to move.

We keep all of the perks we got when we originally booked.

Very happy tonight and again, thanks to everyone who helped us with the information above as it has all come in really helpful to get our 'dream cabin' 🙂

I think you’ve done the right thing. At least now you’ll have a proper balcony for your special anniversary sailing (and no speakers to worry about 😉:classic_biggrin:).

1 minute ago, villauk said:

I think you’ve done the right thing. At least now you’ll have a proper balcony for your special anniversary sailing (and no speakers to worry about 😉:classic_biggrin:).

This made me laugh -- does EVERY BODY know about our speaker problem ??!!! Loads of people post about it . Ha ha ha

Did I ever say I was worried about that speaker below cabin 8292 ??!!!

Thank you :-)