Breakaway / Live (*) / Solo - Feb-07-17-2019...

sid_9169

Hi Sid—enjoying your adventures on the Breakaway—we did the Getaway last year—and had Vibe passes!! So fun!  Your sea urchin story reminded me of another—sitting on the beach here on my home island of St Croix and watching some folks run in to the water on a rocky beach and run out—then sit down and look at their feet!  As they were leaving they told us to watch out for the SPLINTERS in the water😂😂! At least I did not need to pee on their feet!!

• Like 2

I'm going to go ahead and blow out my thirty free Platinum internet minutes while we're sitting here in harvest caye. From the looks of some of the comments the past 24 hours, yesterday's adventure was quite amusing. I'm still trying to put together the broken pieces of my memory of it all. I'm drinking beer today just to try and keep it together. I don't have time for a detailed post of the day, so we'll just start with this morning.

At the cruise critic meet and greet the other morning, I inquired with Nenad, the assistant hotel director about possibly getting a tour of the Haven for the review. A day or so later I got a message from Florence at guest services that my request had been approved. In fact, Nenad said that he had read my review up to that point, and was quite amused by my account of the journey.

I met Florence at guest services, and soon we were off to the luxurious enclave. We headed in near the concierge desk and bar area. We then toured the courtyard and outdoor sundeck, and finally the Haven restaurant... With my budget, there's no way that I could ever afford to stay in such accommodations. I was just happy to be invited inside, if only for a brief visit. We were about to leave, and I asked if it would be possible to order a drink from the Haven bar, and she was happy to oblige. I asked if he could make a smoke and fire, the drink that I enjoyed my very first time on the Escape, but sadly he had never heard of it. I asked if he could make me a spicy margarita with some of their infusions, and he ended up making me a regular margarita, while quite good, but I was hoping to have a special moment here. Well, little did I know, that while I was drinking my margarita, he was busy in the background making something very special indeed.

It was served in a martini glass, and featured jalapeno and green peppercorn infused vodka, and other ingredients I failed to remember. Let's just say that this drink has been the star of my experience so far on the Breakaway. He called it a roaring sunderband... I'm not really sure about the spelling, but I believe he was referring to the sunderband tiger in his native India.

I will upload pictures as soon as I get a chance, as I don't want to waste my precious internet minutes waiting for the upload.

I really appreciate all of you making it this far, and I will get some more good content up as soon as I get to Grand Cayman...

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, sid_9169 said:

I asked if he could make a smoke and fire, the drink that I enjoyed my very first time on the Escape, but sadly he had never heard of it. 

I had that when we stayed in the Haven on the Breakaway last March! I had seen it on an NCL special and I mentioned it to the bartender, luckily they knew what it was. It was such a big production to make it. It was also delicious!! I think it was a smoky old fashion.  I asked for it when we were on the Escape in July, but the bar had been busy at the time so the bartender couldn't make it. After that, we never really made it back to the Haven bar because we spent so much time in the Vibe --- so we never had it on that trip. 

On 2/7/2019 at 12:49 PM, sid_9169 said:

Someone inquired earlier as to whether the Vibe public bar is opened for sail away. They said that it is...

IMG_20190207_114654.jpg

Thanks for a great review, can’t wait to read more.  DH and I are on the Breakaway at the end of April out of Miami. Our only other cruise has been on the Sky which we loved but we’re looking forward to a bigger ship.  

We’re not planning on trying for Vibe passes but I’m curious, what’s the Vibe public bar?

• Like 1

Loving your review.  Mezcalito's is a MUST STOP for us as well.  We ventured out there a few cruises back and now we pick Western Caribbean itineraries just to revisit.  Crazy to read about the sea urchin.  This guy paid us a visit last time we were there:

9f91f1630df3e91402e5cc1d63c68c48.jpg

• Like 1

I've been trying to get a connection here in Grand Cayman here for the better part of the last four hours now... I had hoped to knock out a nice chapter or two today, but it appears that it's just not going to happen. I have burned up about twenty percent of my battery life and finally got the page to load, but it's about as stable as me after about 15 stiff drinks... I'm not even going to attempt to try to upload any pictures, but just wanted to thank you all again, and I will continue when I get back to New Orleans...

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3