Breakaway / Live (*) / Solo - Feb-07-17-2019...

sid_9169

2 minutes ago, Tminish said:

What were these called and do you remember what was in them? They look so yummy. Lol.

Liquid marijuana... I believe its Captain Morgan, pineapple, and Midori...

Edited by sid_9169
remove text
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, sid_9169 said:

It's back to seven day cruises for me... I know this sounds like blasphemy, but by the eighth or ninth day, I was pretty much ready to go home. May have had something to do with the demographic of the other passengers. (Not that I have anything against senior citizens)

It's great to find the type & length of vacation which is right!  You & I are only a couple of years apart in age - yet we are all different with different travel needs.  I loved cruising from the first cruise I took in 1990.  I worked for Hilton & we were in the process of closing a hotel for major renovations.  It was just a short 4-night cruise.  But it was amazing - the first time I had relaxed in months.  No mobile phones (think the bag phones), no beepers, no middle of the night calls...  Nothing but absolute fun & relaxation.  I've enjoyed every cruise since then.

Flash forward to March 2006 - Johnny's first cruise was part of our delayed honeymoon.  We weren't sure if he'd enjoy it or not.  We were on the NCL Wind 10-Day Hawaii & Fanning Island.  Long story - we missed our flight from Seattle to Oahu (by a day)...  We had planned a night on Oahu.  Unfortunately, the flight we were able to get on the next day - we missed the ship by a number of hours.  We slept for 2-3 hours and then hopped on Island Air to Kona.  Much stress & non-honeymoon type "conversations" (and beverages) in that 48 Hours, prior to boarding the ship...  The ships crew was very Welcoming & we had an amazing trip.  Lot's of cocktails & fun in the sun...  We just ran into our favorite Poolside Bartender from this cruise on the NCL Jewel - Maltings Bar...

By living in Alaska, we recognize, regardless of where we go - it's generally a long flight.  Therefore, we make the most of it & plan for a longer trip.  I work 70-80 hours a week - so the additional down time is much appreciated!  If we do a 7-Day Cruise, we usually spend another 7-Days visiting locations w/in driving distance of the departure & arrival ports.  Our longest cruise to-date was 19-Days w/ 10 Sea Days.  We do great following our individual interests & entertaining each other.  (Of course - we've had practice entertaining each other - @ one time living up to 7 months remote, just the 2 of us & only seeing another person every 6-weeks w/ our resupply flight 🙂)  Many times we meet new friends on board - but other times we kept more to ourselves. 

Traveling is our "thing".  We love to collect memories & experiences vs. objects.   I have been lucky enough to visit &/or work on all 7 Continents.  Although we haven't read a John MacDonald novel in years...  Early on, John & I adopted the Travis McGee philosophy of taking bites of Retirement as we can...  Here's to your future travels & bites of Retirement...

Cheers  --  Von

• Like 3

Thanks for the review- do you prefer doing the review live and struggling with the internet or catching us all up after the cruise is over?  I’m headed on Breakaway in August so appreciated the pictures.  Going on Symphony of the Seas in 2 weeks so anxiously awaiting my cruise!  Thank you and I look forward to your next review!

• Like 1

Thanks so much for your review! I appreciate that you took the time to share your perspective of the Breakaway with us. I can’t wait to cruise on this ship and you held me over until my time! I enjoy reading your stories. I hope the best for you and I hope to read more of your stories again soon! I agree with another poster...reach out to the cruise lines and maybe you could get free cruises for your reviews 😁

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Hogladyrider said:

No say it ain't so you can't leave us yet!

How about continuing on with life in Atlanta to keep the thread going, you are so entertaining!

I would totally be willing to do that if there was enough interest...

• Like 15

Magnificent review Sid! I'm in Australia and I just found your reviews this week and have enjoyed them very much - especially seeing seeing such different parts of the world that I haven't been to. Drink shots are great too! Will look forward to your next one...

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, JinxyB said:

Thanks for the review- do you prefer doing the review live and struggling with the internet or catching us all up after the cruise is over?  I’m headed on Breakaway in August so appreciated the pictures.  Going on Symphony of the Seas in 2 weeks so anxiously awaiting my cruise!  Thank you and I look forward to your next review!

I really do enjoy doing the Live portion more than anything... I like to live in the moment, and share the moment right when it happens. By doing the before and after version, I attempted to take notes and reconcile them with the photos, but it just comes out forced instead of naturally like it would as a totally live... If cruise critic ever comes back out with their app, I would be willing to absorb the amount it would cost for internet. The last cruise on the Bliss, I found that fighting with the new improved website just too frustrating to deal with while trying to enjoy a vacation... It's just too difficult to add text and photos, and make them come out exactly the way I want them to appear. What can I say, I'm a perfectionist...

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, sid_9169 said:

I really do enjoy doing the Live portion more than anything... ..... It's just too difficult to add text and photos, and make them come out exactly the way I want them to appear. What can I say, I'm a perfectionist...

As I am getting ready for my first attempt at a live review, what advice if any do you have? I will take any you have to share.... 

I have been "practicing" with the tapatalk app, using the webpage on my iphone, and laptop. I never knew how the previous app worked, but tapatalk seems to be ok.

I have really enjoyed your posts, and I think you and I have similar interests (or at least while cruising)... most of your pictures I could see myself taking. 

I also notice you usually start posting 3-4 days before the cruise starts.  Do you find that to work for you?

Thanks in advance for your help and thank you for all your posts previously. I know they are useful and enjoyable by many. 

Well, it's safe to say that this has been quite a journey these past couple of weeks for us all... We conquered an entirely new embarkation port, along with all the unique food and beverages that New Orleans had to offer.

A new ship (well, new to me anyway) and all the food and beverages she had on board. I finally had some success in Jamaica, which I had pretty much written off as a port of call...

I would like to thank you all for your participation and comments along the way. Without you readers, I would have no purpose in even attempting to put this all together. I have no idea where I'll be heading to next, but hopefully you will all be there when it happens. I have a lot of things to get straightened out in my life right now, and hoping that it all works out for the best...

I figured that by this point in my life that I would have it all going in the right direction. But, that's how things turn out when you live by the seat of your pants like I tend to do. Until then, I want to thank you all again for being a part of this. Hopefully I will be able to do something this epic and share it all with you fine people sooner than later... I can't express enough how much it means to me to have you all along for the ride.........

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, EganFire said:

As I am getting ready for my first attempt at a live review, what advice if any do you have? I will take any you have to share.... 

I have been "practicing" with the tapatalk app, using the webpage on my iphone, and laptop. I never knew how the previous app worked, but tapatalk seems to be ok.

I have really enjoyed your posts, and I think you and I have similar interests (or at least while cruising)... most of your pictures I could see myself taking. 

I also notice you usually start posting 3-4 days before the cruise starts.  Do you find that to work for you?

Thanks in advance for your help and thank you for all your posts previously. I know they are useful and enjoyable by many. 

First advise is to try and figure out exactly what you need to do in order to add text then photos then text again. I've never tried Tapatalk, and to tell you the truth, technology comes difficult to an old guy like me. Second, just tell it how you see it... Be real, and the response will be evident. I know that I sometimes come across as crass or vulgar or whatever. That's what I believe makes my reviews enjoyable for the readers. I call it like I see it, and I tell it exactly how it is... Good luck with going "Live"

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, sid_9169 said:

Well, it's safe to say that this has been quite a journey these past couple of weeks for us all... We conquered an entirely new embarkation port, along with all the unique food and beverages that New Orleans had to offer.

A new ship (well, new to me anyway) and all the food and beverages she had on board. I finally had some success in Jamaica, which I had pretty much written off as a port of call...

I would like to thank you all for your participation and comments along the way. Without you readers, I would have no purpose in even attempting to put this all together. I have no idea where I'll be heading to next, but hopefully you will all be there when it happens. I have a lot of things to get straightened out in my life right now, and hoping that it all works out for the best...

I figured that by this point in my life that I would have it all going in the right direction. But, that's how things turn out when you live by the seat of your pants like I tend to do. Until then, I want to thank you all again for being a part of this. Hopefully I will be able to do something this epic and share it all with you fine people sooner than later... I can't express enough how much it means to me to have you all along for the ride.........

I have loved reading and seeing your adventures. Listen, I'm probably 20 years older than you are and only sometimes live by the seat of my pants--and I have yet to feel like I am FINALLY going in the right direction! So don't fret--that is life. Just keep on enjoying and exploring it and you will be where you are supposed to be. XO

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Hogladyrider said:

How about continuing on with life in Atlanta to keep the thread going, you are so entertaining!

Another vote for this!

I hate to see such an entertaining review come to an end. I really enjoyed your story and your pictures. I hope you'll be able to plan another cruise sooner rather than later. Good luck with the move and your new job! Wishing you all the best!

• Like 3

Sid,
I cruise through forums looking for TR's like yours that give some outside look at places less traveled.
I know the new job that you've landed may cramp some time off and cause some issues...but...
Just keep cruising and writing please.

• Like 1

Thanks again for not giving up on reviewing, considering all of the difficulties you had last time. I know we all appreciate this. When a review is well-written and keeps me entertained, I have no problem waiting for its conclusion. Life tends to get in the way sometimes. Best of luck to you and I hope you are able to cruise again in the near future.

Heather

Edited by SenatorsFan
  • Like 3

Thank you Sid Aka James aka Wilson!

I have followed your carnival reviews and sailed the Vista last August and rebooked for this July when a friend just got off the Breakaway before you and recommenced I give NCL and the Breakaway a try.

i have a courtesy hold on a July sailing 

so I was researching and came across your review!

Love your reviews and how you honor your special lady’s memory. 

Vegetarian here so I blast past the food but oh so enjoy the drinks! As a medical professional I may need temporary custody of your liver though 😂

I am torn betweeb the Vista in a Havana cabin which I loved or acregukar balcony on the Breakaway... thoughts?

If I knew I could buy a vibe pass I’d choose to try the Breakaway since I’m sailing in late July or 1st week of August... but I know the higher status cruisers will grab them before I board...

Thoughts  in the differences in drink packages?

Also I was one of the dorks that followed your unscripted page after your last sailing 😂

thank you for taking us all along yet again!

also I’m going to try and post a fun bathroom pic in my next post ... to add to your collection!

Tara

• Like 1