Breakaway / Live (*) / Solo - Feb-07-17-2019...

sid_9169

Just found your review and loved it - thank you so much!  I felt like I was on the ship and the islands with you, although my liver and I would have conked out after about drink #4 or 5.  (DH has a horror of being a pier runner, so I never get to be as adventurous as I'd like to be - but I'm thinking if nothing else, I will make him go out in Cozumel.) 

You might rival my husband in the booze department, although he sticks to solely crown and coke - apparently he put down so much on our last cruise (we had upgraded to the Haven) that they had to go to the ship's stores to restock the bar.  At dinner the last night of the cruise, one of the other guests we'd been hanging out with stopped by the table to demand money, since DH made the cost of future cruises increase.

We are in Macon and 2 of our kids live in the ATL - she's a great city!

• Like 1

Quick couple of questions for you Syd (or anyone else), firstly thanks for the review, I am cruising NCL for the first time in June on the Breakaway (solo) - how much is the pass for Vibe? I noticed you dined at the speciality restaurants a lot but when using the MDR do you get to seat with other passengers or is it solo?

cheers

Pat

Edited by Deeliteful
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/5/2019 at 6:17 PM, Deeliteful said:

Quick couple of questions for you Syd (or anyone else), firstly thanks for the review, I am cruising NCL for the first time in June on the Breakaway (solo) - how much is the pass for Vibe? I noticed you dined at the speciality restaurants a lot but when using the MDR do you get to seat with other passengers or is it solo?

cheers

Pat

I believe that Vibe has gone up to $209 for a 7 day sailing... I paid $159 for 10 days, but that was prior to the newest price increase... In the MDR I have on a couple of occasions been asked if I would mind sitting with others, and did a couple of times... (It probably ended up being more awkward for them than me...)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sid_9169 said:

I believe that Vibe has gone up to $209 for a 7 day sailing... I paid $159 for 10 days, but that was prior to the newest price increase... In the MDR I have on a couple of occasions been asked if I would mind sitting with others, and did a couple of times... (It probably ended up being more awkward for them than me...)

Cheers

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just found this review and loved it.  Now I want to read your other reviews.  We just did a TA on Epic and really like NCL and the drink package.  Although we are platinum on Carnival, we now prefer NCL.  Just a question on Vibe...exactly what is it?  I thought it was for Haven passengers only, but you were able to purchase a pass?  And, you mention getting rid of your Group 2 Boarding Pass to board early to get the pass...did you just blend in with the group 1 boarding group?  What is the advantage of Vibe?

Thanks again for the great review!!

• Like 1

On 5/9/2019 at 10:27 AM, cruisequeen4ever said:

Another great one; thank you! Congrats on the new job and hope cruising will happen again very soon for you!

Well, it looks like this one has been "resurrected" so, thanks for reading, and hope you'll join me on the Carnival Horizon in about 90 something days!...

• Like 1

19 hours ago, pcrum said:

Just found this review and loved it.  Now I want to read your other reviews.  We just did a TA on Epic and really like NCL and the drink package.  Although we are platinum on Carnival, we now prefer NCL.  Just a question on Vibe...exactly what is it?  I thought it was for Haven passengers only, but you were able to purchase a pass?  And, you mention getting rid of your Group 2 Boarding Pass to board early to get the pass...did you just blend in with the group 1 boarding group?  What is the advantage of Vibe?

Thanks again for the great review!!

Vibe is the adults only bar and sunning area on the new "away" and "away plus" class ships... It used to be $99 for the week, but has now gone up to $209... Passes are sold on a first come first served basis, and often sell out in the first couple of boarding groups. The reason I ditched my group 2 card was that I'm platinum, and intended to board prior to group 1 anyway... Vibe is much less crowded, and there are no kids running around. You have a private bar as well as nice loungers, that you don't have to "hog" in order to obtain one... 

2 hours ago, sid_9169 said:

Vibe is the adults only bar and sunning area on the new "away" and "away plus" class ships... It used to be $99 for the week, but has now gone up to $209... Passes are sold on a first come first served basis, and often sell out in the first couple of boarding groups. The reason I ditched my group 2 card was that I'm platinum, and intended to board prior to group 1 anyway... Vibe is much less crowded, and there are no kids running around. You have a private bar as well as nice loungers, that you don't have to "hog" in order to obtain one... 

So, Vibe is different from The Haven private area?  So many private, exclusive areas now!  This is new to me!!  I don't think Epic had the Vibe area...

Thanks for the clarification!  I am learning a lot from your reviews!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pcrum said:

So, Vibe is different from The Haven private area?  So many private, exclusive areas now!  This is new to me!!  I don't think Epic had the Vibe area...

Thanks for the clarification!  I am learning a lot from your reviews!!

Epic features Posh, which was the predecessor to Vibe... There are very few Posh passes available to non Haven passengers... Much less than Vibe on the away class ships.

On 3/9/2019 at 1:22 PM, sid_9169 said:

"Oops, I did it again..." My itchy booking finger just now got the better of me... My 50th birthday cruise is now officially a thing. 8 day Southern Caribbean on the Carnival Horizon, heading to Grand Turk and the ABC islands, all new ports for me... Also, since Carnival doesn't charge the absurd internet rates like NCL, there will be a full Live Review forthcoming!... Set your calendars for mid September on the CCL message boards!...

IMG_20190309_141341724.jpg

Awesome

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Steff79 said:

you booked carnival horizon? your first time at carnival or did you cruised with them before? will you do a live?

I've cruised with carnival seven times now, so almost as many as Norwegian (10) And, yes. I will be getting the premium unlimited data plan, and going "Live" from beginning to end and beyond...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sid_9169 said:

I've cruised with carnival seven times now, so almost as many as Norwegian (10) And, yes. I will be getting the premium unlimited data plan, and going "Live" from beginning to end and beyond...

Sid, I’m so excited there will be another “Sid Event” (relatively) soon! Yippee. I am never on the Carnival boards so would you maybe post a reminder for your NCL fans here on the NCL boards? I would be bummed if I missed it, and my memory is not what it used to be... wait, what was I talking about again...?

Edited by Greenpea2
Typos
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, All-ready2cruise said:

I'm excited to follow along on another adventure with Sid as well so, I'm putting a reminder on my calendar to check the Carni. boards, mid September. 

That’s a good idea for those reading this older thread while it is stays current but there are a lot of other Sid fans out there from this board who probably won’t see that he is cruising another line soon. 

• Like 1

really enjoyed this report and all your pictures ... I have a trip booked for Dec on the Breakaway and so I found your report so informative! all the pictures.. all the drinks... food pics... wow, you covered so much...thanks for taking all the time to do this 🙂

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, C cruise said:

really enjoyed this report and all your pictures ... I have a trip booked for Dec on the Breakaway and so I found your report so informative! all the pictures.. all the drinks... food pics... wow, you covered so much...thanks for taking all the time to do this 🙂

Thanks for reading, even if it is now four months in the past... There's lots of fun to be had on the Breakaway, I wish I was going back upon her soon...

• Like 1

I'm on the BA in less than 2 wks and basically I've tried to absorb as much as possible from this wonderfully informative and enjoyable report.  I'm hoping I enjoy my first cruise on the BA since it will open many new doors for future cruises for me.  

Thanks again for sharing so much of your experiences on the many cruises you've done. 

Cheers

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Since we can't be doing the "thing" we love most (Cruising) I've been re-living some of my past memories on the high seas... I was supposed to be heading out next week on the brand new Carnival Mardi Gras, but now I've had to rebook for next Thanksgiving... Hopefully sometime between now and then, we get this corona thing under control enough to return to cruising... Until then, I'm having to relish my past experiences...

• Like 9

Never been on an NCL ship but I LOVE your reviews no matter what cruise line. Thanks for taking the time to do such a thorough details of your experiences.. I really enjoy your reviews of the ships and ports of call - especially now that I it seems I won't be able to sail again for several more months. Everyone stay healthy so we can cruise again someday!

• Like 2