CAPE LIBERTY (and NYC) 411-VERSION 5!!!

megr1125

First time cruising out of Cape Liberty, so we are driving in the night before for our Anthem cruise 9/21/19 from South central PA so we will be coming out 76 to 81 to 78, so looking at booking thru Trinity at the Spring Hill Suites, it will just be me and my 18yr old son. Started the reservations and not sure what times to put in the shuttle to and from port, can anyone make any suggestions?  I thought maybe 10am to the port?? But what time from port? Thanks for any input.

10 minutes ago, 4myfam said:

First time cruising out of Cape Liberty, so we are driving in the night before for our Anthem cruise 9/21/19 from South central PA so we will be coming out 76 to 81 to 78, so looking at booking thru Trinity at the Spring Hill Suites, it will just be me and my 18yr old son. Started the reservations and not sure what times to put in the shuttle to and from port, can anyone make any suggestions?  I thought maybe 10am to the port?? But what time from port? Thanks for any input.

Definitely 10 am to the port.  From the port should be when you feel like it in terms of how long it will take to get home.  Figure you will spend an hour to get back to the hotel and retrieve your car.  On a weekday morning I wouldn't do a port pickup before 9 am unless you really have to get on the road.

11 minutes ago, 138east said:

Definitely 10 am to the port.  From the port should be when you feel like it in terms of how long it will take to get home.  Figure you will spend an hour to get back to the hotel and retrieve your car.  On a weekday morning I wouldn't do a port pickup before 9 am unless you really have to get on the road.

Would we be off by 9am, we wont have expedited off and we wont be doing carry all luggage off either, b/c we are traveling with a group with small kids, etc...

Thanks for all your help!

20 hours ago, 4myfam said:

We have booked the same place for June 26th. They made us pick a shuttle time for the return trip also. I picked a random time. It appears that time is just to fill a blank spot on the form. After I booked he gave me a reservation number and a phone number to call the driver when we are ready to come back to the hotel after the cruise. I hope this helps. 

We had scheduled a 9 am pickup from the ship.  We got a text from the driver early in the morning (like 6:30) telling us to keep him informed of our progress.  We actually left the ship about 8:30 and were outside quickly as we had cleared immigration at an earlier port.  Texted him, he said he was 3 minutes away and came immediately to the zone number (poles) we provided him.  We were in the car heading home by about 9:10.

On 3/8/2019 at 7:17 PM, H8mundays said:

Ok so what if I return the car to the airport what can I expect to pay for a cab or shuttle from the airport to cape liberty cruise terminal?  (I appreciate all your help)

So you’re sailing on Anthem Sun Dec 8, 2019.  Are you planning to leave early Sunday morning and drive to EWR.  You could Uber/Lyft to the port for $35-45.  No shuttles.  Cabs run in the $50-60 range.

For  winter cruise we recommend having a plan B to come a day early in case of bad weather.

I inquired with Springhill Suites about the security of their parking security. Here is the response. I hope this helps someone:

Good morning Alvin. We do have a gated parking lot with video surveillance. We also have security here every night, from 11pm until 7am, to monitor and keep the premises secure. If you have any other questions or concerns regarding this matter please feel free to email me back and I will assist in any way possible. Have a great night and thank you for your inquiry!

Chris LiVoti

Assistant General Manager

Springhill Suites by Marriott

Newark Liberty International Airport

652 U.S. 1

Newark, NJ 07114

973-624-5300

chris.livoti@interstatehotels.com

Hi

We have a late flight departure on Oct 6th after our Summit cruise form EWR. Does the pier have storage lockers for luggage? Does Celebrity use luggage valet in Bayonne? We would like to drop our luggage and take the subway to NYC for the day. Any suggestions? Thanks

5 hours ago, mesamarie said:

Hi

We have a late flight departure on Oct 6th after our Summit cruise form EWR. Does the pier have storage lockers for luggage? Does Celebrity use luggage valet in Bayonne? We would like to drop our luggage and take the subway to NYC for the day. Any suggestions? Thanks

Unfortunately no storage lockers at the pier or luggage valet either.

What time is your flight?  What exactly do you want to do in NYC?

On a high level you can take an Uber into Manhattan and store your luggage, However, the details of how to do this would depend on exactly what you want to see and your flight time.  It’s possible Celebrity will offer a NYC tour with an EWR dropoff.  Post back with more details for suggestions.

138east  thank you for your quick reply!

Celebrity does offer a NYC tour but it is only 4 hours which would get us to the airport at 1:30, our flight on United departs at 8:30pm. We were hoping to have more time to enjoy NYC instead of sitting at the airport. We would like to visit the library next to Bryant Park or maybe take the HOHO for transportation. We welcome any suggestions about dealing with the luggage. I did see Luggagehero's website but have not used a service of this type before. Would you take the train back to ERW? 

25 minutes ago, mesamarie said:

138east  thank you for your quick reply!

Celebrity does offer a NYC tour but it is only 4 hours which would get us to the airport at 1:30, our flight on United departs at 8:30pm. We were hoping to have more time to enjoy NYC instead of sitting at the airport. We would like to visit the library next to Bryant Park or maybe take the HOHO for transportation. We welcome any suggestions about dealing with the luggage. I did see Luggagehero's website but have not used a service of this type before. Would you take the train back to ERW? 

The luggage storage we recommend is Schwartz Travel on W 37th St between Penn station and Port Authority Bus Terminal - http://schwartztravel.com/nyclocation.html

Luggagehero is new.  My impression is that it’s small stores with extra space to store luggage all over the city.  It may be cheaper than Schwartz Travel, but Schwartz has actually been in the luggage storage business for many years.

A lot depends on you ability to manage your luggage.  Schwartz Travel is several blocks from Penn Station and PABT.  Train to Newark Airport Station is $13/pp.  From the airport station you have to roll your luggage onto the free airtrain to your terminal and then take an escalator or elevator down to the check in level.  From PABT to EWR there is an airport bus that picks up on the street level and drops you at your terminal for $18/pp.  We can get you more details about the exact pickup location.  

Early Sunday morning you can Uber from  Cape Liberty to Schwartz Travel.  The current NJ Transit Sunday schedule is showing about 3 trains an hour - 5:17, 5:30, and 5:37 is an example. 

Please feel free to post back for more details when you decide on a strategy.

I am flying in sept 7 for a sept 8 cruise. I would like an inexpensive hotel for 2 with an airport shuttle. Any suggestions? 

Also, when the ship returns on Sept 22 is getting a 10:45 am flight out of EWR easily doable. We do not have a lot of luggage. We can carry it off the ship ourselves.  Any thoughts on this?  I have never been into EWR so I do not know the size and how complicated an airport it is.

Thanks for any help and ideas.

49 minutes ago, kewbrook said:

I am flying in sept 7 for a sept 8 cruise. I would like an inexpensive hotel for 2 with an airport shuttle. Any suggestions? 

Also, when the ship returns on Sept 22 is getting a 10:45 am flight out of EWR easily doable. We do not have a lot of luggage. We can carry it off the ship ourselves.  Any thoughts on this?  I have never been into EWR so I do not know the size and how complicated an airport it is.

49 minutes ago, kewbrook said:

What is your hotel budget? 2 people? How do you plan to get to and from the port?

A 10:45 flight could be tight even if you walk off.  What time is the ship scheduled to dock?

One option is the Ramada through trinityreservations.com - $200 tax included for a room and round trip port shuttle, but this might not be good for a 10:45 flight.

Greetings from Belgium

As this will be our first cruise out of Port Liberty I would like answers to a few questions. Sorry if these have been asked before.

We will land at EWR on 9/17 and spend 5 days in NYC before boarding.

We are staying in Jersey City in an apartment very close to PATH Grove station. So first we need transport from EWR to Jersey City

Are large taxis available at EWR? We are 4 adults with 4 large suitcases and 4 trolleys ?

Should it be better (but probably more expensive) to book private transport/shuttle beforehand)?

I know about UBER etc. but without access to mobile internet  while roaming I prefer not to use these.

On 9/22 we need to go to the port. Same questions as above.

After the cruise we have flights to Europe from EWR  in late afternoon.  Again taxi or? And where to spend some time before departure?

Could we drop our luggage somewhere while shopping /dining at The Mills at Jersey Garden?

Maybe a day room for luggage close to the mall with shuttle to Airport?

Many thanks in advance for help.

15 hours ago, kewbrook said:

14 hours ago, 138east said:

A 10:45 flight could be tight even if you walk off.  What time is the ship scheduled to dock?

Carol, kewbrook is on the Celebrity Summit scheduled to arrive in Cape Liberty on Sept. 22 at 8am.   The prior port is Halifax, so U.S. Immigration/Customs to get through (and I would guess a lot of walk-offs, given that Cape Liberty  is a drive port for so many).   Personally, I'd be stressed by a flight at 10:45am, but others' MMV. 

36 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Carol, kewbrook is on the Celebrity Summit scheduled to arrive in Cape Liberty on Sept. 22 at 8am.   The prior port is Halifax, so U.S. Immigration/Customs to get through (and I would guess a lot of walk-offs, given that Cape Liberty  is a drive port for so many).   Personally, I'd be stressed by a flight at 10:45am, but others' MMV. 

I didn’t realize Summit docks so late. Thanks. A 10:45 flight would be a definite NO for me.   Maybe for Anthem, which docks at 6 am, but not for Summit. 

• Thanks 1

New Jersey folks... we are staying at Doubletree Suites in Jersey City before and after our cruise.  Want to get to the Hell's Kitchen area and see that there is a water taxi/ferry type of boat that leaves from several places that are not far from the hotel (will Uber/Lyft to ferry) and go to the NYC Pier 83 area.  Other than lots of working people coming back on the boat in the evening, is there anything wrong with this scenario?  If we take PATH, we still have to Uber/Lyft from where that drops us in NYC, right?

Thanks so much!

29 minutes ago, twincheryl said:

New Jersey folks... we are staying at Doubletree Suites in Jersey City before and after our cruise.  Want to get to the Hell's Kitchen area and see that there is a water taxi/ferry type of boat that leaves from several places that are not far from the hotel (will Uber/Lyft to ferry) and go to the NYC Pier 83 area.  Other than lots of working people coming back on the boat in the evening, is there anything wrong with this scenario?  If we take PATH, we still have to Uber/Lyft from where that drops us in NYC, right?

Thanks so much!

Day of the week? Time of day?  Where exactly in Hell’s Kitchen?  Ferry is $9.  PATH is $2.75. Sounds good, but you need all the facts first.  The light rail is right behind the Doubletree - $2.25 to either Hoboken or Paulus Hook.  Hoboken Terminal is a historic train station as well as a major transportation hub.

Edited by 138east

15 minutes ago, 138east said:

Day of the week? Time of day?  Where exactly in Hell’s Kitchen?  Ferry is $9.  PATH is $2.75. Sounds good, but you need all the facts first.  The light rail is right behind the Doubletree - $2.25 to either Hoboken or Paulus Hook.  Hoboken Terminal is a historic train station as well as a major transportation hub.

On a Friday, around 10am... I noticed that some ferries stop running around 9:30a and don't start up until 4pm.  Cost not an issue.  Doubletree says they can shuttle us to a ferry stop or if all else fails, we can Uber/Lyft.   Hell's Kitchen area runs from 34th to 59th streets so the Midtown 39th St. ferry stop would be a good location.

Having not ever taken the ferry, I just wanted to make sure that there isn't something that would make it a bad idea.  No luggage or anything to worry about.

Hoboken to 39th St runs all day.  Paulus Hook doesn’t run between 9:43 and 4 pm.

I think the ferries are a very good idea.  They’re pricey, but you’re on vacation so it’s an “excursion” for you.  I’d just Uber to Hoboken.

1 hour ago, 138east said:

Hoboken to 39th St runs all day.  Paulus Hook doesn’t run between 9:43 and 4 pm.

I think the ferries are a very good idea.  They’re pricey, but you’re on vacation so it’s an “excursion” for you.  I’d just Uber to Hoboken.

Excellent... thanks.  We’re only going over once and back in the evening.

Like others we are cruising for the first time out of Cape Liberty on Celebrity Summit September 8th.  My husband and I are driving from WI and plan to arrive on the 7th.  We'd like a hotel where we can park for the 14 days of the cruise, stay, and get a shuttle to and from the port, preferably included in the price of the hotel. I checked on Cruise and Park and found Country Inn and Suites New Jersey has a  price of $239.  At this point I have no idea the route we will take to get there.  So does this sound like a good choice?  And are we close to eating places. I've read through so many posts here perhaps that has been answered but I'd like clarification.  I've never heard of booking with Trinity but it sounds like they are helpful and I like that they have a Christian emphasis.  Would they be better than Stay, Park, and Cruise?  

Then after we get back from the cruise we plan to stay in the area to do some sight seeing in NYC.  Would like to visit the 9 11 museum, Statue of Liberty, and anything else you would recommend.  We're both fit senior citizens so walking would not be a problem  From what I've been reading the best way to do that would be to book a hotel outside the city and then take public transportation.  So we will need a hotel with parking, preferably free.  We've always been readers of Cruise Critic but this is our first cruise where we are making use of your advice. I have the feeling we will wonder why we didn't do it before.  Thanks for any help you can give us WI travelers.  

32 minutes ago, THOREBLA said:

Like others we are cruising for the first time out of Cape Liberty on Celebrity Summit September 8th.  My husband and I are driving from WI and plan to arrive on the 7th.  We'd like a hotel where we can park for the 14 days of the cruise, stay, and get a shuttle to and from the port, preferably included in the price of the hotel. I checked on Cruise and Park and found Country Inn and Suites New Jersey has a  price of $239.  At this point I have no idea the route we will take to get there.  So does this sound like a good choice?  And are we close to eating places. I've read through so many posts here perhaps that has been answered but I'd like clarification.  I've never heard of booking with Trinity but it sounds like they are helpful and I like that they have a Christian emphasis.  Would they be better than Stay, Park, and Cruise?  

Then after we get back from the cruise we plan to stay in the area to do some sight seeing in NYC.  Would like to visit the 9 11 museum, Statue of Liberty, and anything else you would recommend.  We're both fit senior citizens so walking would not be a problem  From what I've been reading the best way to do that would be to book a hotel outside the city and then take public transportation.  So we will need a hotel with parking, preferably free.  We've always been readers of Cruise Critic but this is our first cruise where we are making use of your advice. I have the feeling we will wonder why we didn't do it before.  Thanks for any help you can give us WI travelers.  

Could you provide a few more details?  It appears you are on a 14 day cruise.  Which company quoted you a price of $239 for Sep 7?  Does that include tax AND round trip port transportation. You get back on Sept 22, so how many hotel nights do you need post cruise and what is your budget?

Trinity is only $238 for your dates tax included with round trip port transportation and 21 days parking.  They have a cafe and a restaurant that cost extra.  The Doubletree next door also has restaurants and you can drive to Exit 13A for more choices at Jersey Gardens Mall.