Deluxe Drink Package Deal?

Port72

3 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

No, it can even vary sailing to sailing on the same ship.

Makes sense, lol.  Ok, thanks.  Plenty of time before my 2020 Sailing to decide what to do.  Maybe I'll just purchase it from a bartender so only I have to buy it, and not my wife as well.

1 minute ago, cgags47 said:

Makes sense, lol.  Ok, thanks.  Plenty of time before my 2020 Sailing to decide what to do.  Maybe I'll just purchase it from a bartender so only I have to buy it, and not my wife as well.

Good luck with purchasing only one package, that's not worked for us.

Just now, Host Clarea said:

Good luck with purchasing only one package, that's not worked for us.

I think the only way it might work is purchasing directly from a bartender.  Anybody else have experience with this?

16 minutes ago, cgags47 said:

I think the only way it might work is purchasing directly from a bartender.  Anybody else have experience with this?

I do it on every cruise. If the bartender you ask won’t do it, you go to a different bar and ask there. And you keep going until you find a bartender that will. I usually stick with that bartender the entire cruise, tip him well and things always work out. 

6 minutes ago, hungryg said:

I do it on every cruise. If the bartender you ask won’t do it, you go to a different bar and ask there. And you keep going until you find a bartender that will. I usually stick with that bartender the entire cruise, tip him well and things always work out. 

Sounds like a plan to me!  Thanks!

12 hours ago, hungryg said:

i just find a bartender on the first day that will sell me the package without making my wife pay for one.  works every time.  

I thought if you called RC and ordered the drink package over the phone they cannot force you to purchase both? 

What annoys me is it was $52pp “at 20% off” for an upcoming sailing of mine a couple weeks ago which seemed steep. Now at BOGO50?  You guessed it...$52pp. How and why is it ok for it to be the same price PP on two different sales where the percentages vary??  I don’t complain a lot but this one is shady as it can get. Just stop advertising “sales” and be upfront. 

Edited by garrymorere

Garrymorere... many posting on this since 2014.  Not classy the way they do it. Until someone sends it to an AG in their state and gets a reading on this, we will never know if it violates the "Truth in Advertising" laws.  It sure violates the spirit of the law.  What you have is, people with less integrity running the pricing and marketing departments.  I am sure they have caught a few, but then there is a large group of us that just get annoyed and spend less money.  I started a spreadsheet with all the extras a cruise company wants to charge and do not go by just the stated "cruise price". Some are now charging for shows.  Some people like "alcacart" pricing and others call it getting less for more money !  

1 hour ago, Slickdaddy96 said:

By the way my Allure cruise for 4/7-4/14 of this year finally went down to $44/pp.  That price is a no brainer.  I pulled the trigger immediately.

was that on-board or before sailing?

35 minutes ago, dedels said:

was that on-board or before sailing?

That's before sailing.  Happened a week or two ago for our 4/7-4/14 Allure Cruise.  It first dropped to $47 a month or so ago and I didn't pull the trigger but when it got to $44/pp/day that was a no brainer.  If you drink coffee and sodas you are probably looking at probably drinking no more than 2-3 drinks a day to pay for it.

• Thanks 1

On 2/7/2019 at 11:58 AM, katiel53 said:

I guess I don't understand how it seems that so many people miss the statement on the page for the alcohol package "Price shown reflects your discount."

I'm looking at my cruise planner and I don't see where it says that so I can see where someone that is not familiar with Royal math may not be aware.

54 minutes ago, Big_G said:

I'm looking at my cruise planner and I don't see where it says that so I can see where someone that is not familiar with Royal math may not be aware.

When I look at my Cruise Planner, the package doesn't come up until I click on beverage and then on deluxe package.  That's where it states twice that the price includes the discount.  I guess not all see the same thing, but that's what I see every time.

I have never seen the full price that is charged onboard in the Cruise Planner.  I have just seen the 25% off and BOGO 50% off.  I think Royal Caribbean changes the full price whenever they feel like it, but it is supposedly based on how the alcohol sales are going.  

8 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

They will let you buy one deluxe and one refreshment package over the phone.

Yeah I called today about our ovation sailing from Hawaii to Vancouver. I wanted the deluxe package and nothing for my wife but they'd only make the exception to let her get refreshment package, though I tried saying she didn't want it, just extra high calorie drinks she doesn't need, can I speak to a supervisor, etc. 

No deal. 

I could try booking on board but will it cost me a lot more? I don't know!

Adam 

I think I finally cracked the code.

The problem is that RC never tells you the list price.

They just give you the discount. A certain percent of use your imagination.

The way the current conundrum is before the buy one get one sale the sale was 25% off or $52.

I was thinking something the list was in the neighborhood of $69 with 25% off or $52.

The current sale is worded as buy one get one 50% off.

After you add it to your cart here is the verbiage. *Savings are applied as 25% off to each guest.

Which is just exactly the same price as it was on the previous 25% off.

The problem they could jack the list price up and make it 40% off and it will be exactly the same price.

Unless you are tracking prices, you would never know.

But there are many savvy people here and we know when the bottom line price hits a good floor.

• A 18% gratuity charge will be added to each package price listed above.
  • Please note: Orders cannot be modified once they're added to your shopping cart. To change an order, you'll need to first cancel the order, and then make your purchase(s) again.
  • *Savings are applied as 25% off to each guest(s) package.
Edited by JoeFan

17 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

They will let you buy one deluxe and one refreshment package over the phone.

Ok, that's good to know, as I think that's all my wife wanted anyway.  Maybe that would work out after all.  Thanks!

6 minutes ago, jean-lynd said:

The price just dropped to $39 for our Allure cruise next week!  It sat at $44 for a couple of months so I wasn't expecting it to change again but I sure am glad that it did!

This seems like one of those things that you have to constantly check up on.  But it could be worth it.

On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 6:22 PM, TTraub1250 said:

The first page with the slanted banner of 50% off to many,  is like a billboard on the side of the highway !  You should be able to take it at first value without missing any information.  What is missing is what is the 50% off of ?  Have you ever seen a listed price that they take the 50% off of on a RCCL website ?  I have not and have tried to find one. Also there are "truth in advertising laws".  If this does not cross the line on that law, to many, it is sure looking over the line and does it match the spirit of the truth in advertising law !  Many Car dealers in general,  with their advertising are not what I call ethical and have integrity.  Why does RCCL have to stoop to the lower level of an unethical advertiser, why not be straight forward ?   As a stock holder this activity by the marketing and pricing departments is disturbing.  If I were President or at least VP of marketing, I would fire those people, with attitudes and advertising that is less than full integrity.  The way you treat people as a company tells alot about your integrity !   Integrity is everything !   Don't get me wrong, I have had P&L responsibility and understand pricing theory.  When people can not make their goals company's set, then those people become less than ethical.  Case in point Wells Fargo !  

Well this shareholder would not fire them, but nominate them for a big Bonus whilst they help to keep Sales strong, stock Price up and a flowing dividend. IMO it´s not shady from the Company but stupid from the buyer who doesn´t watch the Bottom line.

The persons I would fire are those bartenders not following the rules and sell the package to just one Person OnBoard.

I would advise someone to try and track down them with Posters on These and other boards as a starting Point. It should be easy to have a look at the OnBoard Sales and find out who got a package with only one charged to the OnBoard account and more People in the cabin. Give a Bonus to those who catch some of those bartenders.

I want more truth and Integrity from the bartenders towards their employer.

3 hours ago, Paulxyz2004 said:

Well this shareholder would not fire them, but nominate them for a big Bonus whilst they help to keep Sales strong, stock Price up and a flowing dividend. IMO it´s not shady from the Company but stupid from the buyer who doesn´t watch the Bottom line.

Well it's a good thing that most of their passengers don't follow Cruise Critic or research before they cruise. The only reason that they get away with what the do is because the general public is clueless and gullible. This is nothing new. Snake Oil sales men got away with it for years and informercials As seen on Tv are very profitable.  The majority of the passengers take the ad at face value make the purchase and never look back. Cruise Critic members spend a years time purchasing, canceling and purchasing again. All things being equal I would choose to sail another line over Royal Caribbean just because it's just too much extra work monitoring prices. There are more threads complaining about pricing and advertising on this board than any other board that I have been on.

17 hours ago, katiel53 said:

I have never seen the full price that is charged onboard in the Cruise Planner.  I have just seen the 25% off and BOGO 50% off.  I think Royal Caribbean changes the full price whenever they feel like it, but it is supposedly based on how the alcohol sales are going.  

LOL! You could see 3 different sales in a week and the price remains the same.

• Thanks 1

On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 4:25 PM, Port72 said:

I agree this pricing makes you think it is a real good deal.  I did select it and put in my checkout and realized it was $52 per person, so $104 a day.  Now I have price point for breaking even, and this is below it, so I am comfortable with that price however I did see it at $49 earlier and last year I did grab one for $45. 

So for me $52 is a good deal, I like to drink all different types of drinks on Vacay, one of the nice perks to being on vacation, my Wife however enjoys her coffee and a few other drinks.  At $52 we would barely break even for her..  so lets see the $45 and I'm in..  besides I got till July, plenty of time.

I just like the idea of prepaying and not worrying about the costs while on board.

Cheers !!

A couple of things.....

• You analysis is a good one.
  • Always consider the "don't have to worry about it factor".   That is, should I buy a drink should I not?   Will I like this drink?   With the pkg none of that matters.  That has some value too, so if its close to break even in your mind, I suggest you consider the value of that too.
  • Keep the faith.   I sail next week on Allure.   The Deluxe pkg started at $60 pp/pd.   I bought, cancelled, and re-booked three times.   Picked it up last night for $39 pp/pd (plus gratuity).   Saved HUGE $$ from the first price.   Picked up an extra $82 (combined for 2) on the last price drop.
  • Like 1