want to know

DeeRuss

27 minutes ago, DeeRuss said:

we are going on the OOsterdan in the near future and if any one knows who the cabin boys are for room 6112 let me know if we can bring them any thing special that we can -- or what they want !!  

That's really nice of you.   I'm thinking additional gratuity is the thing they can use most.

• Like 3

We had one ask for a Harley shirt when we were in port (he offered to pay for it of course but asked to be quiet about it because they’re not supposed to ask-even though we offered).    It’s nice to get something they want but otherwise, cash for them is the best.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tennessee Titan said:

Good for you!!

Not sure if that was sarcasm or not.  I'll take the not sarcasm.

Working in Hospitality, I have seen all kinds of "tips".  Outside of bottle of alcohol (we all need it desperately when we work with the public 😉 ), cash is King.  The most "interesting" tip encountered: Some doctor from Bowie, MD, gave out kitchen magnets from the surrounding area (Annapolis, crabs from Eastern Shore, etc.).  If you did something he thought was extraordinary, he'd give you a miniature peacock feather. The back office trash cans got all of it...

The crew quarters are very tiny.  Cash fits everywhere!

• Like 4

No to the sarcasm -- was a bartender for years but some times we will get a telephone card -ect besides the tip  for are Steward ( cabin boy ) - have a daughter that was a dealer in  Las Vegas  had to share a large tip with 900 other dealers -- so some times they have to share $$ tips and love the special things in life--  thanks just trying to get an name 3 time on the  Oosterdam 

17 hours ago, NotLikeBelleRosen,IHope said:

I give cash but sweeten it with Kit Kats. I had heard they’re popular with the crew.

While your intent is admirable, it is estimated that approximately 9% of the worldwide adult population [1 in 11] is knowingly--or perhaps unknowingly if no symptoms have been noticed and/or no testing has been done--Diabetic...  Cash recognition--supplementing standard gratuities for great service--is always an appropriate means of expressing appreciation to crew and provides recipients opportunity to benefit from your kindness in a personally appropriate way [perhaps including purchasing sweets] as he/she chooses...    

Edited by Xport
  • Like 1

On 2/14/2019 at 12:36 PM, DeeRuss said:

we are going on the OOsterdan in the near future and if any one knows who the cabin boys are for room 6112 let me know if we can bring them any thing special that we can -- or what they want !!  

Are you trying to find out who the cabin stewards would be on your cruise, some time in the "near future"? I don't know how often stewards rotate cabin areas (if they do) but the current stewards may also have gone home at the end of their contracts.

28 minutes ago, Boytjie said:

Are you trying to find out who the cabin stewards would be on your cruise, some time in the "near future"? I don't know how often stewards rotate cabin areas (if they do) but the current stewards may also have gone home at the end of their contracts.

The cabin stewards do rotate sections. My steward on the Koningsdam recently told me he was changing sections when I left the ship. I don't know if this is usual, but it can happen.

On 2/15/2019 at 11:23 AM, Boytjie said:

I was hopping that some one in the next 30 days was going on the OOsterdan !!

On 2/14/2019 at 12:36 PM, DeeRuss said:

Your cabin stewards (not cabin boys or girls) on Oosterdam would appreciate an extra few dollars in cash.....that's something special. It's not possible to tell you who your stewards will be on your sailing.

• Like 1

Sorry if I sounded harsh with the "cabin boy?????".  I cringe when I hear those old colonial types of names.  Like "bellhop" - nothing like a 40-50 year old man being called that (yes, there are bellman that old!), "washy washy girls", etc.   These people work hard for their money and should be called a respectful name, not something old and demeaning... IMHO

And, all those that I know appreciate a cash tip...

• Like 1