Balcony Guarantee What Cabin Did You End Up With

stalco

We sail in August. It took 6 days to find out. Booked Balcony Guarantee last week and assigned today. 

We got 8342 on Explorer.  I'm happy with that.

Last year for Navigator we waited about 6 months and we didn't find out until a few days before sail date.

Again a Balcony Guarantee. We got a hump 8616 or 8618 or was it deck 7?  (I can't remember, either way we were happy with that too) 

My rule for booking a guarantee balcony  - if there are no aft balconies available then I don't care where I am.

Edited by livylotte

Got 6174 for our May 13th Ovation cruise about a week after final payment. We were a bit disappointed as that is one of many obstructed balconies on that ship but that was the chance we took. A week before the cruise I got an email about a change to the reservation and the cabin was now 13264 which was a terrific location with no obstruction other than  a bit of an overhang from the pool deck. No explanation or reason but obviously we were thrilled.

I’m looking at guarantee cabins for Allure next May. I have a choice of ‘neighborhood balcony guarantee’ lowest price or ‘balcony guarantee’ slightly more. Does this mean the ‘balcony guarantee’ is definitely oceanview?

Booked on the SOS last year and was assigned our balcony 45 days out. We had booked over a year before our sailing. We were assigned a balcony on deck 7. We had no obstruction, a larger balcony, but only had a 1/2 panel that separated each balcony. The life boats did not cause any obstruction. We were happy with our assignment.

We have booked a balcony guarantee on our Allure cruise. No room assignment yet. Are there any obstructed views on the Allure?

Thank you

4 hours ago, Garden_Girl said:

I’m looking at guarantee cabins for Allure next May. I have a choice of ‘neighborhood balcony guarantee’ lowest price or ‘balcony guarantee’ slightly more. Does this mean the ‘balcony guarantee’ is definitely oceanview?

Not sure.  I thought that the oceanview balcony guarantee actually used the word "oceanview" in the description.

This depends on a lot of factors - i.e. your Crown & Anchor club status, whether RCL are having trouble selling cabins, the actual ship (the larger the ship the better), the price you booked at, date of the cruise.

For instance - this year (2019) in the UK, because of the 'Brexit' factor and worries that folk may loose their jobs, RCL have been having a terrible job selling cabins on all the Southampton based cruises, especially those before and after the summer school break. No matter what RCL have said to the contrary, this is the reason that they are not sending the Independance of the Seas to the UK in 2020 - much to the shagrine and annoyance of loyal UK customers.

RCL and many of the other cruise lines (Celebrity, P&O, Princess, MSC, Cunard etc.) send me daily emails advertising special offers etc. In April (2019) RCL sent me an email about the upcoming UK based cruises and I was astounded how cheap they were. Although we have never done this before, we booked two cruises using the Guaranteed Balcony grade. Previously we have booked well in advance and chosen the cabin we thought was good for us (near lifts etc).

The first was on the Independence of the Seas in early May (2019) and the other on the Explorer of the Seas in early October. Both of the cruises were being discounted at over 50% off at that time.

We are Diamond status Crown & Anchor members, having sailed with RCL many times.

It took a few weeks to be declared what cabins we would be in and for both e had been upgraded to a spacious delux balcony grade - the October one has a superb location on Deck 7 near the midships lifts, the May one was further towards the rear, but still very much ok. To be honest, the October cruise location is right where I would have chosen myself, so I am well pleased.

We booked a balcony guarantee for our sailing on Harmony for March 1, 2020.  I didn’t have any options to select neighborhood or oceanview, and it just shows GTE when I look at my cruise planner.   I keep watching availability for our dates and currently for 4 people there are no Central Park balconies left and the price for oceanview balconies are less than boardwalk.  This is our first time sailing RCL so not only am I excited about the ship but also about what room type we’re going to end up with 🙂  

19 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Not sure.  I thought that the oceanview balcony guarantee actually used the word "oceanview" in the description.

Thank you. I’m assuming there are no balconies on Allure that aren’t either neighborhood or oceanview and plan to scrutinise the deckplans. I don’t mind an obstructed at the offered price just wasn’t sure if there are any balcony rooms that are distinguished separately from neighborhood or oceanview. 

18 hours ago, peterhof said:

This depends on a lot of factors - i.e. your Crown & Anchor club status, whether RCL are having trouble selling cabins, the actual ship (the larger the ship the better), the price you booked at, date of the cruise.

For instance - this year (2019) in the UK, because of the 'Brexit' factor and worries that folk may loose their jobs, RCL have been having a terrible job selling cabins on all the Southampton based cruises, especially those before and after the summer school break. No matter what RCL have said to the contrary, this is the reason that they are not sending the Independance of the Seas to the UK in 2020 - much to the shagrine and annoyance of loyal UK customers.

RCL and many of the other cruise lines (Celebrity, P&O, Princess, MSC, Cunard etc.) send me daily emails advertising special offers etc. In April (2019) RCL sent me an email about the upcoming UK based cruises and I was astounded how cheap they were. Although we have never done this before, we booked two cruises using the Guaranteed Balcony grade. Previously we have booked well in advance and chosen the cabin we thought was good for us (near lifts etc).

The first was on the Independence of the Seas in early May (2019) and the other on the Explorer of the Seas in early October. Both of the cruises were being discounted at over 50% off at that time.

We are Diamond status Crown & Anchor members, having sailed with RCL many times.

It took a few weeks to be declared what cabins we would be in and for both e had been upgraded to a spacious delux balcony grade - the October one has a superb location on Deck 7 near the midships lifts, the May one was further towards the rear, but still very much ok. To be honest, the October cruise location is right where I would have chosen myself, so I am well pleased.

I think you could be right. This year we got a guarantee junior suite on Oasis, was allocated the stateroom number within a week and had a huge, quiet, easy to get to room on the hump with a huge balcony!  

5 hours ago, Garden_Girl said:

Thank you. I’m assuming there are no balconies on Allure that aren’t either neighborhood or oceanview and plan to scrutinise the deckplans. I don’t mind an obstructed at the offered price just wasn’t sure if there are any balcony rooms that are distinguished separately from neighborhood or oceanview. 

You are correct, the regular (non-suite) balcony staterooms on Oasis class are either oceanview or neighborhood.

• Thanks 1

On 6/15/2019 at 10:34 AM, tvlworm said:

We booked a balcony guarantee for our sailing on Harmony for March 1, 2020.  I didn’t have any options to select neighborhood or oceanview, and it just shows GTE when I look at my cruise planner.   I keep watching availability for our dates and currently for 4 people there are no Central Park balconies left and the price for oceanview balconies are less than boardwalk.  This is our first time sailing RCL so not only am I excited about the ship but also about what room type we’re going to end up with 🙂  

If you booked an XN category that is the Neighborhood Balcony. If you booked an XB category that is an Oceanview Balcony.

When booking XNs I have been assigned oceanview balconies many times. At present we are doing a B2B on the Allure in Sept I booked guarantees for both legs. For the first one they assigned us a boardwalk balcony. For the second leg I'm still waiting, but there are no CP balconies left, only 11 BW balconies left and a over 100 OV balconies left with only 90 days left. So I think we  will get an Oceanview balcony.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rt1092 said:

If you booked an XN category that is the Neighborhood Balcony. If you booked an XB category that is an Oceanview Balcony.

When booking XNs I have been assigned oceanview balconies many times. At present we are doing a B2B on the Allure in Sept I booked guarantees for both legs. For the first one they assigned us a boardwalk balcony. For the second leg I'm still waiting, but there are no CP balconies left, only 11 BW balconies left and a over 100 OV balconies left with only 90 days left. So I think we  will get an Oceanview balcony.

I hope we have your same luck and glad to know I’m not the only one who counts out what’s left 😁! There are currently 40 BW balconies and hundreds (not worth trying to count yet) of OV balconies. But we have so much time, that I know anything can change between now and then. 

20 minutes ago, tvlworm said:

I hope we have your same luck and glad to know I’m not the only one who counts out what’s left 😁! There are currently 40 BW balconies and hundreds (not worth trying to count yet) of OV balconies. But we have so much time, that I know anything can change between now and then. 

Also don't forget you can change your cabin to another available cabin in the same category. That's why I never fear guarantees.

Just stay on top of it.

Right now Royal"s travel agent site website, tells me there are eleven 4L cabins and eight 6L cabins. Plus a lot of OV balconies.

Edited by rt1092
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, rt1092 said:

Also don't forget you can change your cabin to another available cabin in the same category. That's why I never fear guarantees.

There may be a slight change in the timing of GTY assignments (later) recently  so that the available pool of alternative cabins may be much smaller. 

• Like 1

We have booked a last minute Navigator for 6/28/19 in an XB-GTY.  Still waiting for our balcony to be assigned.  We have done GTY's before and usually get assigned fairly quickly.  For this one I booked 6/4 and we are still waiting.  Don't really care what we get as long as it is a balcony.

20 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

There may be a slight change in the timing of GTY assignments (later) recently  so that the available pool of alternative cabins may be much smaller. 

That is why you stay on top of it. I watch it like a mother hen.

12 minutes ago, karena1 said:

We have booked a last minute Navigator for 6/28/19 in an XB-GTY.  Still waiting for our balcony to be assigned.  We have done GTY's before and usually get assigned fairly quickly.  For this one I booked 6/4 and we are still waiting.  Don't really care what we get as long as it is a balcony.

I would call Royal and check. Tell them you want to print out your luggage tags. Even though the porters will have the manifest with your cabin numbers on it when you arrive.

Right now it's all hands on deck to straighten out the Cuba thing so I know they are behind.

Edited by rt1092

Just now, rt1092 said:

I would call Royal and check. Tell them you want to print out your luggage tags. Even though the porters will have the manifest with your cabin numbers on it when you arrive.

I already did, just have to wait.  I know they will eventually assign it, just don't know when!!!

On 6/15/2019 at 2:26 PM, peterhof said:

Absolutely.  We have just booked a guarantee balcony on Explorer from Southampton in August for a ridiculously low price. 

We've already had a cruise this year but couldn't say no to this.  Yes, it's an old ship but we can live with that!  And bonus - we've been given a spacious balcony cabin in a location I would have probably have picked (Midship deck 8 near the lifts).  Final payment is 5 days away yet there are still dozens and dozens of balcony cabins available. 

Even identical cruise excursions are cheaper than those offered on our recent Oasis cruise in May.  The drinks package is not cheaper sadly - but that's probably because there are more sea days on this itinerary - I'll keep checking on that one!

I do think that UK Indy in particular was priced very high for this year and next year and we certainly would not have paid that kind of money.  I am not surprised the UK cruisers have not been booking.  I don't think it's all down to Brexit  -  I think its partly because RC has been greedy and priced itself out of the market.

Edited by livylotte

2 hours ago, rt1092 said:

That is why you stay on top of it. I watch it like a mother hen.

Watching it doesn’t help with the assignment or potential move to another cabin if the assignment comes so late there’s nowhere to move. While anecdotal, recent reports and my experience seems to show that assignments which in the past would come fairly soon after booking are coming later, many about 30 days out. RCI seems to make a somewhat generic assignment (many have reported and I have seen it - SetSail pass shows deck and muster station) but won’t tell you the exact cabin  so can’t move. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, livylotte said:

Absolutely.  We have just booked a guarantee balcony on Explorer from Southampton in August for a ridiculously low price. 

We've already had a cruise this year but couldn't say no to this.  Yes, it's an old ship but we can live with that!  And bonus - we've been given a spacious balcony cabin in a location I would have probably have picked (Midship deck 8 near the lifts).  Final payment is 5 days away yet there are still dozens and dozens of balcony cabins available. 

Even identical cruise excursions are cheaper than those offered on our recent Oasis cruise in May.  The drinks package is not cheaper sadly - but that's probably because there are more sea days on this itinerary - I'll keep checking on that one!

I do think that UK Indy in particular was priced very high for this year and next year and we certainly would not have paid that kind of money.  I am not surprised the UK cruisers have not been booking.  I don't think it's all down to Brexit  -  I think its partly because RC has been greedy and priced itself out of the market.

It’s a combination of factors, apart from Brexit another one is that RCL have allowed their standards to fall, as far as older passengers are concerned, Still great for families and young couples, who think it’s fun to rough it, like going to a music festival, but us oldies in the UK don’t look forward to a carnival parade every night and having to fight our way along the ship (Royal Promenade) to get a cup of coffee!

• Like 1

On January 28, 2019, we booked our July, 2019 Baltic cruise on Serenade. We booked a GTY Balcony and received the room assignment in March. We have a balcony mid-ship on Deck 7. It is not obstructed view. We are very happy!

Booked out October 2019 Guaranteed Balcony room at the end of April. Still awaiting assignment 🙂 

I called RCL about something else and they said there was still no assignment. I'm just curious as to where it'll be! It's exciting waiting for it

Also, when I checked on RCL's website it has only guarantees available for our sailing, except in the Large Balcony category, so who knows. And all suites are sold out apart from the Sky Loft (I'm not expecting anything more that obstructed balcony view); just an observation. 

🙂

Edited by Kayla103

On 6/15/2019 at 10:34 AM, tvlworm said:

We have booked Harmony on March 15th so we will be interested in hearing just how your GTE turns out.