LIVE FROM EXPLORER - FEB. 17 - MARCH 9

Travelcat2

Jackie...

As usual, such fun and comprehensive postings! It’s a lot of work and much appreciated.

Just got off the Celebrity Edge, a spectacular ship with a unique design and all sorts of surprises. Anyway, am curious as to whether anyone on board the Explorer has actually measured the “improved” internet speed, seeing that 40% of zero is still, well, zero. Am surprised that Regent has not yet implemented a more comprehensive fix. Do you know if one is in the works, or is this incremental improvement the best to be hoped for?

• Like 1

Rick, it is easier than I thought it would be (actually the same as my iPad).

When you start a new post (vs. replying to a post), at the bottom left of the screen is a paper clip and next to it indicates “Click to choose files”.    Photos that I take on the phone and iPad go into “Photo Library” so click that.  Find your photo and touch it -  a check mark will appear.  Click done and it will upload at the bottom of the page.  Very simple.  

I find that on the iPad I can select 4 photos but on my iPhone can only do 1 or 2 at a time (iPhone 6 Plus so kind of old).

Give it a try.  I’m on my iPad now and am posting a random photo (well, not to random - two of my kitties in an embrace).  

Will post photos from the phone later.

DB82C8E6-3F5B-4574-9820-E05A7685DF6F.jpeg

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, flossie009 said:

If you are more comfortable using your iPad you can very simply transfer the photos from iPhone to iPad using "AirDrop" (Bluetooth)

That is what I do.  I like to see the photo larger before I post.

Jackie, that toucan looks like a stuffed bird rather than real.

• Like 1

Bill - Stella is beautiful.  The cat whose face you can see (Twiggy) is also a long hair female tuxedo while "Whiskey" (the fur you see in the front of the photo) is a short hair tuxedo male.  Our third kitty, Bella is a short-haired black kitty.  BTW, Dennis took a glance at Stella and thought it was Twiggy (also, the table she is sitting on looks like ours - lots of coincidences).  Okay - better not talk about cats - unless they are cruising🐈

Flossie - thank you for letting me know how to transfer from the iPhone to the iPad.  That will make it much easier. 

The photo of the Toucan (that reminds Bill of Fruit Loops) was on the Bus Safari (Rachael - definitely real and so beautiful). Dennis was within feet of lions and other animals that I will post.  Unlike the horrible conditions of the place where rescued animals were that I posted previously, these were healthy and happy (also rescued).  Wish that I could have done that excursion but was concerned about bumpy roads on my healing bruises.

Paul - the computer went from 20 megabytes download speed to 30 megabytes download speed.  This has been verified.  Also, in Los Angeles an automatic log-in page will be added.  I have no idea what Regent is doing about internet connectivity but the speed is a tiny bit better than before.  There seems to be something about Explorer that has more difficulties than other ships.

Today is a sea day with lots of activities.  We have been invited to a cocktail party in a Grand Suite but have no idea who invited us (we do have their last names but it did not ring a bell.).  We will definitely attend and appreciate the invitation!

I've been thinking about our relationship with crew members.  We have been asked many times why we spend time with officers/crew, etc.  My response has always been that they are working 7 days week for months at a time to make their families' lives better and their stories are so interesting. 

We have known some crew members for years.  We dined with Captain Serena when she was a Staff Captain.  Two men who are special to us are Marco and Abhi (likely mispelled - sounds like "Abby").  We met them 2 1/2 years ago on Explorer.  One was a Safety Officer and Abhi was another officer (cannot recall).  Abhi became a Staff Captain about a year ago and Marco just became a Staff Captain.  When we were invited to dine with them 2 1/2 years ago, it would have been easy to turn them down.  We did not know them - knew nothing about what they do, etc.

At dinner we really hit it off and had brief conversations in the hallways (and another dinner).  During Explorer's first transatlantic crossing, we had discussions as to whether or not Explorer would be the most stable Regent ship at sea (an honor held by Mariner at that time).  After a few days we ran into each other -- had a couple of laughs and all agreed that Mariner still manages rough seas better than any other Regent ship. 

When I learned that Abhi had just boarded Explorer a few days ago we were excited to see him (we had been on Explorer in two years).  His son is now the same age as Explorer (2 1/2) and he looks great.  We greeted each other with big hugs (and will have dinner with him tonight - not one of the hosted dinners but simply a dinner to catch up with this lovely man).  I look forward to the day when both men are Masters of a Regent ship.  Seeing their growth has been heartwarming.

So, for those of you boarding Explorer in the next couple of months, you may want to say hi to him.  He is such a nice person.

Okay - so much for my story telling.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Rachel or Flossie - what is the destination for the air drop?  Completely lost.  Trying to post male lion (my favorite animal).

Jackie - if you have both Apple devices online, say your iPhone and iPad, pull up the photo(s) you want to transfer on the iPhone, click the 'share' icon, then when the choices to share with show up (Message, Mail, etc.) just above that you should see a section for AirDrop.  In a few seconds you should see your iPad appear in that area.  Click on that icon and the selected photos will beam from the iPhone to the iPad.  Quick and easy.

2 hours ago, gnomie1 said:

I have some in my desk - I am happy to share!  😀

gnomie

Gnomie - thanks, but I haven't had Froot Loops in many years...don't think I'd like them as much as I did when I was young...

Or would I????

1.  Note for airdropping, both devices must  have Bluetooth on.

Formal help:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204144

2.  Jackie, when I first looked at your kitty picture, I thought it was just one big cat, then did a doubletake.

The tuxedo cat looks like “Pierre, the existential cat” ( he made some funny Youtube videos)

Thank you, Jackie and Master Echo, for all your reports.

10 hours ago, flossie009 said:

If you are more comfortable using your iPad you can very simply transfer the photos from iPhone to iPad using "AirDrop" (Bluetooth)

My iPhone photos automatically go into my iPad or vice versa.  I set it up that way years ago, so know it’s not because both are newer. If you go to settings>photo> upload to my photo stream.  It will upload to your Apple devices. Of course both have to be on WiFi.  This is done in the background, nothing you have to do.  It just does it when it they are connected.   

1 hour ago, judi666 said:

My iPhone photos automatically go into my iPad or vice versa.  I set it up that way years ago, so know it’s not because both are newer. If you go to settings>photo> upload to my photo stream.  It will upload to your Apple devices. Of course both have to be on WiFi.  This is done in the background, nothing you have to do.  It just does it when it they are connected.   

Mine do too as they all go to the cloud.  But that only happens once a day, during the night, so if you want them to go over sooner, you have to use airdrop.

Puerto Quetzal is a port for Guatemala, so named after the national bird - the Quetzales, a highly colourful bird with irridiscent plumage.  Unfortunately  although the national bird, they are quite elusive and I was not fortunate to see one.  

Originally due to dock at noon, this was changed to 8.00 am, so once again it was an early morning start, although not quite as bad as the previous two.  With the usual mustering in the Constellation Lounge to collect our tour bus ticket number, I was sitting on the bus on the quayside at 8.15 am.  These buses are not coaches, they are called “coasters” and are slightly larger than a safari vehicle, holding about sixteen people.

Our destination was to the old capital city of the whole of this part of South America, Antigua, pronounced Anteegwa, unlike the West Indian island of the same name, which is pronounced Anteega.

Our guide provided some background details about his country.

Having already conquered Mexico, with its mineral wealth, the land to the south appeared to have no similar resources.  In consequence the Spanish brought Mexican mercenaries to fight the indigenous population, because they didn’t feel the country was worth spilling Spanish blood to conquer.  This has resulted in quite an ethnic mix today, except that the indigenous Mayan people, largely still remain ethnically pure.  

After the Spanish conquest, the land to the south of Mexico to the present Panama, was known as Guatemala. When the Spanish withdrew, around 1800, to fend off Napoleon’s invasion of Spain and Portugal, what had been Guatemala, divided into separate countries, along natural geographical lines.  The present southernmost parts of Mexico opted to leave Guatemala and become part of Mexico.

Coffee production had been started by the Spanish and the country was taken over by Germany in 1843. A German had devised a method of extracting caffeine from coffee beans and Guatemalan production was shipped to Germany, as indeed did Costa Rican coffee.  In 1943 Germany was kicked out of Central America and the various countries became autonomous again.

It was evident that there was quite a disparity between those who live in Guatemala City, and the rest of the country.  Guatemala’s economy appears to be based largely on low value agricultural products, and from what  I saw en route to Antigua, there is little sign of wealth, certainly when compared to Costa Rica.

The drive was around an hour and a half, about 55 miles, and took us into the hinterland, with coffee plantations, and various fruit and vegetables growing in the rich volcanic soil.  En route, the coasters drove through the devastation of the remains of the volcanic eruption which occurred in June last year.  Unfortunately many people died, as despite a warning, the locals in that area had lived with the volcano Chikaga, rumbling on a daily basis, and refused to believe that this time, it was different.  Workmen are still repairing the road, and there was only single file, passing through this ravine, which once had held a wide stream, now just huge boulders.  The scene was reminiscent of a giant throwing huge rocks from one side of the road to the other.

En route, we were stopped by a random police check.  This is normal, and our driver had to show his ID and insurance details.  However there is another reason for these checks.  As banks are now tightening up on the transfer of money, the drug cartels are now physically bringing the cash through the country, from North to South America.

Antigua was made a World Heritage site in 1979 and has a wealth of ruins and baroque architecture.  It lies at 1800 feet above sea level and the cobblestoned streets are lined with brightly coloured colonial buildings and a very picturesque jacaranda wreathed central plaza.  This city dates back to 1543 and was the seat of Spanish power, serving not only as a cultural and religious centre but the economic powerhouse for more than 200 years.  The city was largely destroyed by earthquakes in the 17th century,  but many of the buildings were rebuilt. The volcano in Antigua was named Agua, the Spanish word for water,  as the Spanish thought it was filled with water, until an eruption poured the water down the hillside & a huge landslide followed, which killed thousands, with only 76 survivors.

Unfortunately our visit was on a Saturday, when many people come from Guatemala City for a day out or for the weekend, and consequently the narrow streets were crowded with cars and many people thronged the sidewalks.  This did however have one advantage to which I will refer later.

The first stop was to a Jade factory, and everyone expected a “sales talk”, but to our surprise, we were shown in to a small room and asked to sit down.  An American lady archaeologist, who had moved to Guatemala in the 1970s to help prove that Guatemala did indeed have jade, gave us a little talk on all aspects of this highly prized mineral.   It was extremely interesting to know that Jade can be very many different colours, dependent on what metal it is attached to when it is formed.  From white, to a bluey green and even black.  So should you come across a stone that is white and you are told that it is jade, it could well be. In a workshop men were cutting the jade using electric tools which resembled dentist drills.  There were of course many examples of jade in necklaces, earrings and bracelets, all for sale.

The streets were full of many local colourfully dressed Guatemalans, with myriad garments for sale, either perched on their heads or up their arms, and all wearing their very expertly woven “huilpiles” blouses.  They are a walking advertisement for their textile heritage which is still flourishing. Of note, these street vendors were all small in stature and clearly came from a distinct Ethnic group.

It is a Guatemalan tradition that girls on reaching 15 are introduced to society, and are eligible as a prospective bride.  They are dressed in a “ball” gown of varying colours, and are accompanied through the streets by members of their family, all elegantly attired.  By virtue of our visit being  a Saturday, we saw many examples of this tradition.  Indeed I was fortunate to being outside the cathedral when an open topped white Mini Cooper drew up and deposited a bride and her father to waiting bridesmaids - 7 - and to the welcome from the Cardinal himself!!  Obviously a wealthy family, she looked stunning and her long train was studded with crystals.

Walking through the town and going into many of the old churches, i came to one of the most photographed arches in a narrow pedestrianised street.  It is the mustard yellow El Arco de Santa Catalina, which is the last vestige of a 17th century nunnery.   As one would expect Guatemala is staunchly Catholic, so I was surprised to learn from our guide that only about 40% are now practising Catholics and the same number are Evangelical Christians, a similar percentage to both Peru and Costa Rica.

The tour of Antigua was advertised as a “hop on hop off bus tour”.  The night before we arrived,  a typed sheet of paper arrived from the “Destinations” department, stating that this tour was in its early stages, and suggested we should ”apprehend” this tour!  In other words we would be advised to “do our own sightseeing” once arriving at the drop off point.  We queried this with the destination department and got an unsatisfactory answer.

In the event our local guide said that the best approach was for our group to stick together on the coaster, and be taken to the five main sights on the map, which was provided, with him acting as tour guide.  In fact this was not a “hop on hop off bus, where you could alight at a chosen stop, and catch the next bus to the next point of interest.  The bus - coaster which we had travelled on to Antigua, was actually the one on which we would return to the ship.

Bearing in mind the tour departed at 8.15 am, and returned after 3.00 pm, Regent made no provision for refreshments.  Any refreshments were on our own account, which is something  I would expect on Oceania, but not on Regent!

Kindest regards 

Master Echo

9 hours ago, RachelG said:

Mine do too as they all go to the cloud.  But that only happens once a day, during the night, so if you want them to go over sooner, you have to use airdrop.

What is also unique is that ithe cloud knows where you are.  The photos will help remind you of where you were.as your location is known.

22 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Bill - Stella is beautiful.  The cat whose face you can see (Twiggy) is also a long hair female tuxedo while "Whiskey" (the fur you see in the front of the photo) is a short hair tuxedo male.  Our third kitty, Bella is a short-haired black kitty.  BTW, Dennis took a glance at Stella and thought it was Twiggy (also, the table she is sitting on looks like ours - lots of coincidences).  Okay - better not talk about cats - unless they are cruising🐈

Flossie - thank you for letting me know how to transfer from the iPhone to the iPad.  That will make it much easier. 

The photo of the Toucan (that reminds Bill of Fruit Loops) was on the Bus Safari (Rachael - definitely real and so beautiful). Dennis was within feet of lions and other animals that I will post.  Unlike the horrible conditions of the place where rescued animals were that I posted previously, these were healthy and happy (also rescued).  Wish that I could have done that excursion but was concerned about bumpy roads on my healing bruises.

Paul - the computer went from 20 megabytes download speed to 30 megabytes download speed.  This has been verified.  Also, in Los Angeles an automatic log-in page will be added.  I have no idea what Regent is doing about internet connectivity but the speed is a tiny bit better than before.  There seems to be something about Explorer that has more difficulties than other ships.

Today is a sea day with lots of activities.  We have been invited to a cocktail party in a Grand Suite but have no idea who invited us (we do have their last names but it did not ring a bell.).  We will definitely attend and appreciate the invitation!

I've been thinking about our relationship with crew members.  We have been asked many times why we spend time with officers/crew, etc.  My response has always been that they are working 7 days week for months at a time to make their families' lives better and their stories are so interesting. 

We have known some crew members for years.  We dined with Captain Serena when she was a Staff Captain.  Two men who are special to us are Marco and Abhi (likely mispelled - sounds like "Abby").  We met them 2 1/2 years ago on Explorer.  One was a Safety Officer and Abhi was another officer (cannot recall).  Abhi became a Staff Captain about a year ago and Marco just became a Staff Captain.  When we were invited to dine with them 2 1/2 years ago, it would have been easy to turn them down.  We did not know them - knew nothing about what they do, etc.

At dinner we really hit it off and had brief conversations in the hallways (and another dinner).  During Explorer's first transatlantic crossing, we had discussions as to whether or not Explorer would be the most stable Regent ship at sea (an honor held by Mariner at that time).  After a few days we ran into each other -- had a couple of laughs and all agreed that Mariner still manages rough seas better than any other Regent ship. 

When I learned that Abhi had just boarded Explorer a few days ago we were excited to see him (we had been on Explorer in two years).  His son is now the same age as Explorer (2 1/2) and he looks great.  We greeted each other with big hugs (and will have dinner with him tonight - not one of the hosted dinners but simply a dinner to catch up with this lovely man).  I look forward to the day when both men are Masters of a Regent ship.  Seeing their growth has been heartwarming.

So, for those of you boarding Explorer in the next couple of months, you may want to say hi to him.  He is such a nice person.

Okay - so much for my story telling.

Hi Jackie, I am very glad you OK after your fall ! Also our best wishes to Dennis for his Bday. Your pictures and descriptions  have wonderful. Now after buttering you up😊 I do have a question, could you give a "ships health report". We are hopping not to go aboard and catch a cold or worse.

Thanks, John

• Like 1