Koningsdam - Get your flu shots!

Little Toot2

21 hours ago, FlorenceItaly said:

Drives me crazy to see others cough and sneeze into their hands!!!!

So if a sudden sneeze comes on, would you rather they not cover their mouth and just sneeze on everything in sight?  Including food in the buffet?  I would rather have them cover their mouth, block the projectile sneeze, then wash their hands right after.  

8 minutes ago, eroller said:

So if a sudden sneeze comes on, would you rather they not cover their mouth and just sneeze on everything in sight?  Including food in the buffet?  I would rather have them cover their mouth, block the projectile sneeze, then wash their hands right after.  

The problem is people don't wash their hands afterwards.  If they can sneeze into their hands, then they can raise their arm and sneeze into the crook of their elbow.  This is where coughing and sneezing should be done (not in hands).  This topic has been discussed over and over but people still don't get it!

People are disgusting and have no thought to anyone else and how they spread their germs.  Owning a Restaurant I see people who blow their nose and put their dirty, snotty tissue (napkin) on the table.  I also see people blow their nose and throw their tissue on the floor.  We tell our Servers DO NOT touch any napkins/tissues on the Tables or on the floors without using a paper towel to pick it up when clearing Tables. Also, wash, wash,  wash after clearing plates/silverware off a Table.   I've seen people on the Ships using the Linen napkin on Lido blowing their nose into it and leaving it on the Table to be picked up by those clearing the Tables.  

We were at FLL Airport about a month  ago flying home from the NS when at the Gate a Woman blew her nose twice and threw the tissue on the floor instead of getting up and throwing it out in the garbage pail about 15 ft from her.  If she was too lazy to do that, then put it in your pocket.  

It's just amazing how disgusting people can be and how selfish when it comes to spreading their germs!  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, idiebabe said:

The problem is people don't wash their hands afterwards.  If they can sneeze into their hands, then they can raise their arm and sneeze into the crook of their elbow.  This is where coughing and sneezing should be done (not in hands).  This topic has been discussed over and over but people still don't get it!

Sneezing into your elbow?  To me that is no better than your hand.  I can see people missing their elbow and more of the sneeze projectiling beyind the elbow.  Either way a visit to the bathroom is needed to wash up after.  

Just now, eroller said:

Sneezing into your elbow?  To me that is no better than your hand.  I can see people missing their elbow and more of the sneeze projectiling beyind the elbow.  Either way a visit to the bathroom is needed to wash up after.  

The crook of your elbow or your upper arm not the outside of your Elbow!  

More folks who are ill are choosing to wear masks when they have to be in public. Not really necessary for those who are well but doctors say it, like hand washing, is a good method to help prevent the spread of illness in those who are sick. Staying home or isolated is best but that is not always an option. 

2 minutes ago, idiebabe said:

The crook of your elbow or your upper arm not the outside of your Elbow!  

Yes I understood that.  I’m just not certain it’s very effective at preventing projectile sneezing.  

1 hour ago, Little Toot2 said:

My question to you, Tampa Girl, would be how do you plan to navigate from your current location to an area where you are able to scrub up without touching the elevator button, a hand railing, or the handle to open a restroom door?  Every contact your hand makes with these items spreads germs... just sayin'.

Tampa Girl says that she doesn't understand "why one cannot cover one's mouth with one's hand [singular] if one immediately washes said hand. [singular]" That leaves a germ-free hand to push elevator button, grasp hand rails and open restroom doors.

19 hours ago, SumoCitrus said:

Flu shot less than 50% effective this year. If you're not elderly or immune compromised, skip it.

Even if its 33% effective we would accept those odds.  For us, the flu shot is free and easy to do while we are at any pharmacy.  For those who have lived through a major bout with influenza, any way of reducing the odds are a no-brainer.  Others have brought up a great point  that there is a tendency for folks to confuse common colds or basic URIs with influenza.  The flu kills over 50,000 Americans every year.  It is serious stuff.  As to avoiding common colds or URIs I simply do what we did when I worked in an Emergency Room which is to wash hands frequently and try to avoid being near folks who are coughing/sneezing.

Hank

• Like 2

To complete the chain of infection, one still has to stick their own potentially contaminated hands into their own eyes, mouth or nose. Downwind of a sneeze is another matter, but what one does with their own digits, often inadvertently,  is  the final step.

• Like 1

On 2/16/2019 at 2:20 PM, carolyn22 said:

Both my mother and I had the flu shot in October and both of us got the flu about a month ago - tested out as strain A. Several infectious disease doctors told both of us that this year’s flu shot was only about 45% effective. My mom only had a little fever but a terrible cough and overall aches. I also had the terrible cough (still have traces of it) but had fever of 101-102 for 4 days. 

The doctors told us that having the shot does not keep you from getting the flu but it can help lessen the effects of it. Personally, I would hate to think of how much worse it could have been, because what we had knocked us out of commission for weeks. My mom had some other health issues going on so she is still recovering over a month later. 

I certainly hope it’s just a cold making the rounds on the ship because the flu was miserable. 

The US CDC pegs this year's flu shot at 87.5%+ effective. Are you sure that you are dealing with actual medical doctors? If they're real epidimoligists, you should definitely alert the CDC. We all need to know if the CDC is releasing bogus statistics. 

I had the mega-dose flu shot in September and it has been amazing.  I am usually sick as a dog a minimum of 2-3 times (flu and colds) over the season but this is the first year I haven’t caught a single bug.  Not even a sniffle.  *knocks on wood*

• Like 1

On 2/17/2019 at 12:10 PM, OlsSalt said:

To complete the chain of infection, one still has to stick their own potentially contaminated hands into their own eyes, mouth or nose. Downwind of a sneeze is another matter, but what one does with their own digits, often inadvertently,  is  the final step.

So true.  I try not to ever touch my face with my hands, as hard as that may be sometimes.  I'm a flight attendant so obviously I'm in contact with a ton of people, many of them sick with something plus I'm picking up their trash.  Many many germs.  I don't get sick very often because I'm sure my immune system is built up, but also because I'm very conscious of not touching my face.  If a passenger wants to shake my hands after a flight I do it, but then I'm right in the bathroom washing my hands.  We flight attendants are washing our hands constantly.  They get so dried out.  

This is probably not good for my own health, but when I'm in a public confined space and find myself having to sneeze, I usually hold it in.  

On 2/16/2019 at 3:41 PM, SumoCitrus said:

Flu shot less than 50% effective this year. If you're not elderly or immune compromised, skip it.

Bad advice.   People need to realize that influenza is a potentially deadly disease.   Thousands (yes thousands) die from it every year in the USA.   And not just elderly or immunocomprimised.  

So people:  GET YOUR FLU SHOT.   

• Like 2

My sister and her DH boarded the Island Princess today,  a few hours later than original schedule. Princess had contacted them, the day before, about the delay, saying the ship was being disinfected for a "bug".  Nothing in CDC website, so likely cruise crud on that ship, too.  It's that time of the year.  Im tempted to wear a surgical mask on the airplane.  A fair amount of pneumonia has been going around our community.

On 2/17/2019 at 12:10 PM, OlsSalt said:

Unfortunately, unlike norovirus, the flu is mainly spread by aerosolized droplets that you breathe in following a sneeze or cough from (or even just while talking to) an infected person.  According to the CDC those droplets can travel as much as 6 feet following a sneeze from an infected person. Touching an infected surface can also spread flu but is considered a secondary method of spread.

So definitely count me among those who would rather see someone stop a sneeze or cough by whatever method (hands, elbow, tissue) than do nothing to stop it.