Choosing Cruise - Open to Suggestions

cdgreg1

I am planning to book a cruise very soon and would like to hear some thoughts about the options. As I mentioned in a previous post, I took advantage of the recent European flight sale before it expired and booked flights, so changing flight days/times is not an option. Our flight is scheduled to arrive at FCO on Oct. 28th at 8am and depart from FCO directly to the U.S. on Nov. 6th at 11:35 am.  Based on our flight schedule, it looks as though we may have three options. 

1. Sail on NCL out of Civitavecchia from Oct. 30th - Nov. 6th. (Flying out immediately after disembarking makes me a little nervous due to possible unforeseen delays; however, this is the itinerary I had in mind when booking the flights.)

2. Sail on MSC on Oct.28th - Nov. 3rd. This would require a transfer (probably through Rome via train?) from FCO to Naples in time for the 7:30pm sailing. Not sure if this is feasible. If we faced a delay, could we board at the next port which is Messina?

3. Travel to Venice mid-vacation for a 4 day MSC Oct. 31st Nov. 4th, then travel back to Rome for flight home. 

This will only be my 4th cruise, and my first trip to Europe, so I'm open to advice. 🙂

Edited by cdgreg1

Choice 1 is probably  the best option. Choice 2 is not comfortable to me. Choice 3 would be my backup to Choice 1.

An 11:30 flight after getting  off the ship is doable...see the many discussions here on flights and transportation. 

Catching up to the ship in Messina is doable, most likely,  but that is NCL's decision to make.  And, of course, adding a last second one way airfare, cab, hotel...

Painting yourself into tight corners due to cheap airfares has it's negatives.

I would feel most comfortable with option 1.  Gives you a couple of days in Rome and time to adjust to time zones.  As you were told on your other thread your 11:30 out of FCO is doable but you should plan to self disembark and should arrange private transport from port to airport.  

I understand you're concerned about timing, but there are a lot of other variables. What are the itineraries of the cruises you're considering and which one appeals to you the most? Is it more important to you to have more land time in Italy (in which case the shorter cruise) or would you rather have a longer cruise and fewer land days?

One thing I will say is that MSC would not be my first choice of cruise lines. They cater to a more European audience and tend to have shorter days in port (together with Costa) than the more US-focused lines like NCL.

Most non refundable fares can be changed, usually for a reasonable cost.  That would be my choice.  In fall with storms you can find cruises docking late, and your costs then would be far more than a few hundred dollars if you missed your flights.  Unless you have already purchased good trip interruption and cancellation insurance.    Most likely you will be okay,   But you seem already very concerned so I would check out either changing or making sure you have proper insurance.  Then you can enjoy your cruise.  Or spend your time enjoying Italy.  

On 2/17/2019 at 3:56 PM, CruiserBruce said:

Choice 1 is probably  the best option. Choice 2 is not comfortable to me. Choice 3 would be my backup to Choice 1.

An 11:30 flight after getting  off the ship is doable...see the many discussions here on flights and transportation. 

Catching up to the ship in Messina is doable, most likely,  but that is NCL's decision to make.  And, of course, adding a last second one way airfare, cab, hotel...

Painting yourself into tight corners due to cheap airfares has it's negatives.

Thank you for the advice.  I have decided to go with option 1. Unfortunately, the 11:35 flight was the latest that would allow me to get home the same day and return to work the next. I am looking into trip insurance that might cover in the event that bad weather delayed our return to port. 

Thanks again.

23 hours ago, wheezedr said:

I would feel most comfortable with option 1.  Gives you a couple of days in Rome and time to adjust to time zones.  As you were told on your other thread your 11:30 out of FCO is doable but you should plan to self disembark and should arrange private transport from port to airport.  

Thank you. I think that will be our plan.

23 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I understand you're concerned about timing, but there are a lot of other variables. What are the itineraries of the cruises you're considering and which one appeals to you the most? Is it more important to you to have more land time in Italy (in which case the shorter cruise) or would you rather have a longer cruise and fewer land days?

One thing I will say is that MSC would not be my first choice of cruise lines. They cater to a more European audience and tend to have shorter days in port (together with Costa) than the more US-focused lines like NCL.

Thanks for the information. I think we are going with option 1.

20 hours ago, bennybear said:

Most non refundable fares can be changed, usually for a reasonable cost.  That would be my choice.  In fall with storms you can find cruises docking late, and your costs then would be far more than a few hundred dollars if you missed your flights.  Unless you have already purchased good trip interruption and cancellation insurance.    Most likely you will be okay,   But you seem already very concerned so I would check out either changing or making sure you have proper insurance.  Then you can enjoy your cruise.  Or spend your time enjoying Italy.  

Thanks for the advice. The flights can be changed for a fee, but I don't think we will be changing because the 11:35 was the latest that would allow us to get home and, this, to work the next day. I did purchase travel insurance when I purchased the flights, but I'm looking at getting an upgraded policy that appears to cover more delays, etc.

We would be pretty comfortable with any of the options, but option #1 does make the most sense.   If you did want to go to Naples you could take the fast Leonardo Express from FCO to Rome Termini and then catch a train (there are many) to Naples which would take about 2:40.  Once in Naples it is a 10 min taxi ride to the port.

But your option #1 is fine.  The Epic should be docked back in Civitavecchia by 6am.  You can use express disembarkation (carry off your own luggage) and be off the ship by 6:30....although we would probably arrange for a 7 or 7:15 private transfer.  Our personal preference is to use RomeCabs.com.  You can use the CC Roll Call board and try to find another 1 or 2 couples who also want to share an early transfer and this will reduce the cost.  With a 7:15 transfer you will be at FCO by 8:15 which is fine for an 11:30 flight.    We routinely take a 10:50 am flight out of FCO and have always found ourselves with too much time at FCO.

Hank

4 hours ago, Hlitner said:

We would be pretty comfortable with any of the options, but option #1 does make the most sense.   If you did want to go to Naples you could take the fast Leonardo Express from FCO to Rome Termini and then catch a train (there are many) to Naples which would take about 2:40.  Once in Naples it is a 10 min taxi ride to the port.

But your option #1 is fine.  The Epic should be docked back in Civitavecchia by 6am.  You can use express disembarkation (carry off your own luggage) and be off the ship by 6:30....although we would probably arrange for a 7 or 7:15 private transfer.  Our personal preference is to use RomeCabs.com.  You can use the CC Roll Call board and try to find another 1 or 2 couples who also want to share an early transfer and this will reduce the cost.  With a 7:15 transfer you will be at FCO by 8:15 which is fine for an 11:30 flight.    We routinely take a 10:50 am flight out of FCO and have always found ourselves with too much time at FCO.

Hank

Thank you so much. Hearing from someone who has traveled through Civitavecchia adds a layer of comfort.

9 hours ago, cdgreg1 said:

Thank you so much. Hearing from someone who has traveled through Civitavecchia adds a layer of comfort.

Many, if not all that have commented, have traveled through Civi, and Italy, typically many times. That is the basis for the recommendations and suggestions that have been made.

If this is the 7-day Western Med cruise you have a pretty big safety net, the penultimate stop is Naples on the 5th.  Therefore, if the weather is looking iffy you can simply disembark in Naples and take a quick (70 minutes) train ride to Rome that evening so you'd be there for departure the next morning.

35 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

If this is the 7-day Western Med cruise you have a pretty big safety net, the penultimate stop is Naples on the 5th.  Therefore, if the weather is looking iffy you can simply disembark in Naples and take a quick (70 minutes) train ride to Rome that evening so you'd be there for departure the next morning.

Thank you for your input. This is something that I had considered, but I didn't know if people were still being allowed to disembark at an earlier port. I  am feeling more comfortable that it will work out. I am the worrier, while my husband is completely unconcerned. Lol

54 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Many, if not all that have commented, have traveled through Civi, and Italy, typically many times. That is the basis for the recommendations and suggestions that have been made.

That is reassuring. Thank you for your input. 

3 hours ago, cdgreg1 said:

Thank you for your input. This is something that I had considered, but I didn't know if people were still being allowed to disembark at an earlier port. I  am feeling more comfortable that it will work out. I am the worrier, while my husband is completely unconcerned. Lol

They can't stop you from disembarking if you want to, and you'd only do it if there was a significant storm coming up which is pretty rare.  It's just nice to know that you could if you had to, sometimes just knowing that allows you to relax and enjoy.

Without wishing to worry the OP I have to say that the Epic Western Med is a cruise I have travelled twice on that week - the last time being last year.  

There was really unusual bad weather last year - we missed Naples completely and ended up a day early in Civitavecchia.  However the good news for the OP is that we were kept in the loop all of the time.  They would have caught their flight.   I would still choose option 1 and do what they are doing but they are wise to make sure  that insurance does cover bad weather.  

I love the Epic and I love this cruise.  The only reason I am not doing it again this year is that I we really need to get to the Greek Islands from Venice in September and then in the spring we will go to Norway.  However much I love my week on the Epic I know that I have more bucket list cruises to tick.  

Most people board and disembark in Barcelona.  We have self-disembarked in Barcelona without any problem at all - so Rome with fewer passengers must be mega-easy.  I assume that customs will not be a chore because the ship has not left the EU throughout the voyage.  A drive to the airport does not involve going through Rome, so that is another worry out of the way.  

Next November I will be thinking of the OP.  I hope they come back and let us know how it went.

9 hours ago, ollienbertsmum said:

Without wishing to worry the OP I have to say that the Epic Western Med is a cruise I have travelled twice on that week - the last time being last year.  

There was really unusual bad weather last year - we missed Naples completely and ended up a day early in Civitavecchia.  However the good news for the OP is that we were kept in the loop all of the time.  They would have caught their flight.   I would still choose option 1 and do what they are doing but they are wise to make sure  that insurance does cover bad weather.  

I love the Epic and I love this cruise.  The only reason I am not doing it again this year is that I we really need to get to the Greek Islands from Venice in September and then in the spring we will go to Norway.  However much I love my week on the Epic I know that I have more bucket list cruises to tick.  

Most people board and disembark in Barcelona.  We have self-disembarked in Barcelona without any problem at all - so Rome with fewer passengers must be mega-easy.  I assume that customs will not be a chore because the ship has not left the EU throughout the voyage.  A drive to the airport does not involve going through Rome, so that is another worry out of the way.  

Next November I will be thinking of the OP.  I hope they come back and let us know how it went.

Thank you for your input.  I will post my experience on the thread in a few months.  🙂