Cyclone OMA watch

23 minutes ago, SeaDog-46 said:

Sea Princess has just left Cairns.

BOM have another prediction out & it explains why my barometer did not go down overnight.

Oma is now doing a wheely to port.

Oma 22nd 10am.png

Better news if it is weakening and moving away from the coast.

3 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Never to late to make changes, cruise lines do it constantly due to weather and other aspects.

I still say it's too late to re-shuffle (go back to the original schedule). Pacific Dawn is in Noumea and cannot get back to Brisbane for a couple of days. Sea Princess is in Cairns and it takes even longer to get back to Brisbane. The cruise lines may have to shuffle again in a couple of days if Cyclone Oma sticks around past Sunday/Monday.

Sea Princess has turned into Grafton Passage & will be coming south in the Coral Sea.

This wil give Capt. Lye more room to get around Oma than if constrained in the Inner Passage.  Also gives time for the Torres Pilot to give a lecture for the passengers.

Could also be going to Willis Island.

See attached for passeges through the GBR.

Compulsory-Chartlet1.jpg

• Thanks 1

Hey SeaDog-46

Good info.

Apparently quite a few disembarked today in Cairns. Passengers have been advised that the Sea Princess will proceed South slowly with a probability of putting into the bay between Fraser Isl and the mainland (Hervey Bay). They will wait there until weather abates enough to push thru' to Brizzy. About 10 hrs of what is still forecast to be roughfrom the end of Fraser to inside Morton.

2 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

I still say it's too late to re-shuffle (go back to the original schedule). Pacific Dawn is in Noumea and cannot get back to Brisbane for a couple of days. Sea Princess is in Cairns and it takes even longer to get back to Brisbane. The cruise lines may have to shuffle again in a couple of days if Cyclone Oma sticks around past Sunday/Monday.

That is not what I meant by a reshuffle, I meant that the plans may change again as it is predicted to be still be off the coast just further north.

14 minutes ago, Big Shed said:

Hey SeaDog-46

Good info.

Apparently quite a few disembarked today in Cairns. Passengers have been advised that the Sea Princess will proceed South slowly with a probability of putting into the bay between Fraser Isl and the mainland (Hervey Bay). They will wait there until weather abates enough to push thru' to Brizzy. About 10 hrs of what is still forecast to be roughfrom the end of Fraser to inside Morton.

I imagine most would need to continue with their lives whether that is travel plans or back to work etc, rather than stay aboard.

11 hours ago, SeaDog-46 said:

Arcadia is going to be playing musical berths in Sydney.

Currently at Athol buoy tendering & back to OPT tonight.

Back to Athol AM 23rd.

Back to OPT  PM  23rd.

Noordam arrives AM 24th to OPT.

No departure for Arcadia listed on Sydney Ports shipping movements.

Thanks for the update

👍 

It's a bit calmer in SE Qld. today & the barometer has risen a little overnight.  There were no shipping movements at Brisbane yesterday that I could see. Several ships are outside drifting or hove-to in the big swell.

Sun Princess is listed as leaving Sydney today at 19:00 for Brisbane.  Followed by Arcadia at 04:30 / 24th.

Just have to wait for the swell to drop.

Oma 23rd 4am.png

• Thanks 1

Just heard from a friend on Arcadia.  After 4 nights in Sydney Harbour, they will be sailing from Sydney on Sunday (24 Feb 2019) and missing out 3 ports in Australia.  7 sea days straight to Papua New Guinea followed by 5 sea days to Japan. They then go on to Hong Kong and disembark for a flight home to UK ☹️

7 minutes ago, Joyful1066 said:

Just heard from a friend on Arcadia.  After 4 nights in Sydney Harbour, they will be sailing from Sydney on Sunday (24 Feb 2019) and missing out 3 ports in Australia.  7 sea days straight to Papua New Guinea followed by 5 sea days to Japan. They then go on to Hong Kong and disembark for a flight home to UK ☹️

Such a shame for them, at least they have dodged the bad weather and seas, and had a great Sydney visit. Brissie would have been out totally and the trip to North Qld would have been very uncomfortable.

So Arcadia must have taken the Brisbane joining passengers down to Sydney.  I joined Ardcadia in Brisbane a few years ago for a sector to Hong Kong.  She has still to get around  & pass the tropical low in the Coral Sea. 

Pacific Dawn left Noumea yesterday evening & is tracking south to go around Oma keeping the wind astern.

Sea Princess is out of AIS range in Coral Sea but has eta Hervey Bay  09:00 / 24th.