Port in Haiti

resjes

I am going on an RCI cruise, Anthem of the Seas in May. I am concerned about the violence (I know Labadee is nowhere near Port-au-Prince) and if RCI does change the port, how much notice do they give you? I posted this in the general area as I'm curious to hear other perspectives. 

As you mentioned, Labadee/Cap-Haitien are quite far away...May is a long ways off...and the Labadee site is generally secured. I'd say the chances of them skipping are small. As far as notice goes, it depends on when they determine if the threat is serious enough. Unfortunately, there's no way to tell as it could be the day before or weeks before. With something that fluid, I would money on the shorter end...but I'd put even more money on nothing happening.

• Like 1

Given that there is little connection between Haiti and the Labadee Cruise port it is unlikely to be skipped.  Yes Labadee is part of Haiti but RCl has essentially walled it off.  Employees are allowed in for day work,  cruisers are not allowed to wander off on there own.  Having visited Cap-Haitian many years ago l have no desire to return there.

• Haha 1

Stop worrying.  Labadee has been leased to RCI for over 25 years and is essentially walled-off (yes, walls and fences do actually work) from the surrounding area.  RCI employs a private security force and has a lease until at least 2050.   It is a major profit center for the Haitian government as they derive income from both a passenger tax (included in your cruise price) and the vendors.  If the port would be missed it would generally be because of weather related issues.  RCI would not take you to any other Haitian port.  Labadee feels more like a private island then part of Haiti.

Hank

• Like 1

Your concern for violence related to Labadee as a port of call is unfounded. All of the above answers are correct and the extra detail provided by Hlitner pretty much says it all.  Many of the employees there are Haitians from Cap Hatien nearby who are supported by RCI / Celebrity ships calling on Labadee as a result.  There is also a contingent of RCI employees based there on rotation who likely wouldn't be assigned there if there was a concern for their safety.

I will also add that during the times that followed the 2010 earthquake, RCI continue making regular stops with all of their scheduled ships to assist by dropping off relief supplies.  I know this for fact as I was on board one of the ships that did this.

The only reason that Labadee would be skipped would be weather related.  The notice provided would be on board as decided unless the itinerary in general was rerouted prior to departure due to severe weather en route.  Relax and enjoy Labadee - and the locals who work there to support your visit.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

there have been a couple of occasions where boats with protesting folks have disrupted the ship parking and even so far as the ship LEAVING without a stop.

Not common but not NEVER

in general all that has been said above is correct.  I first saw the (now) RCCL property in the mid 80's when they had leased it but walked away half finished ....  because of 'reasons' .... no one would go to Haiti anymore . . . .  fear of AIDS was the big one in the 80's

Labadee is a PRIVATE area leased by RCI.  NO locals are allowed, unless they are employees by RCI.  You do NOT have to worry there.  IF, and that's a BIG IF...there is a country-wide problem, you will not stop there.  No worries.  Go and have fun!  (BTW, you won't catch "AiDS" by swimming in the sea!)

13 hours ago, cb at sea said:

Labadee is a PRIVATE area leased by RCI.  NO locals are allowed, unless they are employees by RCI.  You do NOT have to worry there.  IF, and that's a BIG IF...there is a country-wide problem, you will not stop there.  No worries.  Go and have fun!  (BTW, you won't catch "AiDS" by swimming in the sea!)

Only about 2 to 3% of adults in Haiti have AIDS (yes, much higher than the 0.4% of Americans, but probably far lower than most people think). Since 2010, new HIV infections have decreased by 25% and AIDS-related deaths have decreased by 24%.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/ea/situation-in-haiti.html

This was just posted 2/20/19. "Due to widespread, violent, and unpredictable demonstrations throughout Haiti, the Department of State advises U.S. citizens to defer all non-essential travel to Haiti due to crime and civil unrest. "

I understand Labadee is owned by RCI - but it's still Haiti! I hope it stays safe!

Edited by resjes

9 minutes ago, sfaaa said:

Besides AIDS, cholera still exists in Haiti and it can be spread by black flies, unclean water or unsanitary environment, something Labadee has. Watch what you are eating at beach BBQ.

Good to know. No salads! And bring bug spray

9 hours ago, sfaaa said:

Watch what you are eating at beach BBQ.

Well seeing as how all food served to the ship guests at Labadee comes from the ship, I would not be too concerned about this.  Never had any issues there with any of the concerns expressed in the many times we've visited over the years. It is an RCI controlled environment.

Edited by leaveitallbehind