Best method for communicating with kids?

happylittlefamily

We are going on the Epic 3/2. It's our first cruise and, apparently,  a big ship!  The kids are really excited about the kids' clubs and other activities.   What is the easiest way to communicate with them if they are ready to leave the club or want to move on to another activity? Or is it best to just set a time to meet up?  I have 4 kids, so definitely don't want them separating and exploring alone or I will spend the entire cruise searching for them.  Lol

It depends on ages. Those age 10 and over can check themselves into and out of the club, if the parent has given permission at the beginning of the cruise. Our son had his phone on him, and we used the ship's messaging app to communicate plan changes. Mostly though, we'd let each other know ahead of time exactly where we'd be. ("I'll be in one of these 3 spots...") and then he could find us, or we could find him. If we were planning to go somewhere else not previously stated, we'd have to go tell the others of the change.

I know that kids under a certain age (poster above stated 10) are not allowed to leave without you signing them out. Please make sure your kids understand that a ship is no different than a big city. They shouldn't go anywhere alone! I would have set times to meet up and use the whiteboard on the door (like in college) as a backup form of communication to the app texting ( I've been told it can be glitchy).

7 minutes ago, happylittlefamily said:

Ours are ages 10-16, but I totally agree that I don't want them roaming about.  So there is an messaging app onboard?  Will the kids get cabin keys also or will they have to write their whereabouts so anyone can see? 

Their ship cards will also be able to open their cabin door.

FYI their card will also have the ability to charge things to the cabin, when checking in you can have that ability removed.

8 minutes ago, happylittlefamily said:

Ours are ages 10-16, but I totally agree that I don't want them roaming about.  So there is an messaging app onboard?  Will the kids get cabin keys also or will they have to write their whereabouts so anyone can see? 

Everyone will have a keycard (you can restrict charging privileges).  Depends on where you are at.  If you are in the room, there are typically phones by each elevator back so they could try to call you.  The messaging app has a per device fee.

7 minutes ago, happylittlefamily said:

Is there a way to put a charging limit for each kid? Like if I want to give them $50 each for souvenirs or extra goodies? Or is it a joint account?  Thank you guys so much!!

When you check-in, you can put whatever amount on their account or share an amount with everyone in the stateroom. Your choice.

If the DSC has not been paid, there will be a deduction taken from the account on a daily basis.

• Like 1

I plan to pre-pay gratuities this week.  Then I'd love to be able to give them each a predetermined amount for spending $ per room key.  I hope it works out.   The TA put the kids in their own cabin, so I have to wait until boarding to finish checking them in and applying a credit card to their cabin.  

Yeah, I thought so too.  It's not the way I will ever book again and I wouldn't have chosen it if I had booked myself.  It's kept us from being able to bid on better cabins because both cabins are required to be together.  I had to create an account for my 16 year old just to get access to their cabin info.  I was told my NCL they will complete the kids' check in at port.  God-willing, that process will be uneventful!  Lol

15 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

Wow, NCL insisted that my 19 and 20 year olds couldn’t be in their own cabin even though it connected to ours. I called and asked 3 times.

How long ago?  I would have MUCH preferred she put an adult in each cabin.  It's made it very difficult to book excursions prior reservations because the kids aren't checked in technically.  I specifically asked for an adult in each cabin BEFORE booking and she said separate was no problem.  Now says too difficult to change it.  Apparently I'm unreasonable:/

50 minutes ago, happylittlefamily said:

How long ago?  I would have MUCH preferred she put an adult in each cabin.  It's made it very difficult to book excursions prior reservations because the kids aren't checked in technically.  I specifically asked for an adult in each cabin BEFORE booking and she said separate was no problem.  Now says too difficult to change it.  Apparently I'm unreasonable:/

This was a couple of years ago, but we’ve taken 4 NCL cruises with the kids in connecting cabins, and they’ve always booked an adult in each cabin.

Be careful with letting your kids charge when you are not present (unless you completely trust your kids, which by the way I do) because when I sailed the Bliss last August they told me that my daughter can still go over the limit I set until midnight each day because that was when they system would verify the charges.  So if we gave her $50 to spend and she wanted to spend more it would let her until midnight of the day she exceeded the limit.

5 hours ago, happylittlefamily said:

You aren’t being unreasonable, and if a TA isn’t willing to listen to you from the start, and now won’t fix the problem she created, maybe it’s time for a new TA. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

You aren’t being unreasonable, and if a TA isn’t willing to listen to you from the start, and now won’t fix the problem she created, maybe it’s time for a new TA. 

I certainly can't argue with logic.  It was a friend and it unfortunately wasn't the experience I wish it had been.  Just trying to get through this cruise to book the next the way I would have preferred.