Cozumel on the CB on 5/16 - which dock?

voljeep

All ships will dock at the following port:

San Miguel de Cozumel cruise port is on the Cozumel Island, part of the Quintana Roo state (Mexico), located on the Yucatán Peninsula's eastern part. This is the most visited port of call on cruises to Western Caribbean. This Mexican port destination attracts international tourists (mostly from the USA) with its tropical weather, snorkeling, diving and sea fishing opportunities, shopping and sightseeing. The island has population of around 75,000. Its main town is named San Miguel de Cozumel.

image.png.6737c97082d45a4fbacc7dc53ae7cb92.png

Edited by famski740

I hope you noticed that there are actually two (2) docks at this location.

We have docked at both of them with different cruise lines.  Princess usually docks at the one on the left in the picture and RCI docks at the one on the right.  

Each dock has a separate shopping area attached to it and when we dock at the one on the left, we walk out of this area and walk over to the other area where my wife has a special shop she goes to for blouses. 

40 minutes ago, famski740 said:

All ships will dock at the following port:

San Miguel de Cozumel cruise port is on the Cozumel Island, part of the Quintana Roo state (Mexico), located on the Yucatán Peninsula's eastern part. This is the most visited port of call on cruises to Western Caribbean. This Mexican port destination attracts international tourists (mostly from the USA) with its tropical weather, snorkeling, diving and sea fishing opportunities, shopping and sightseeing. The island has population of around 75,000. Its main town is named San Miguel de Cozumel.

image.png.6737c97082d45a4fbacc7dc53ae7cb92.png

We were on  the CB recently and we docked here on the left pier area with two other Carnival cruise ships. It kinda looked like the picture above and we were the ship in the middle.

Pooh

28 minutes ago, voljeep said:

in the above pic - is Pancho's Backyard at the dock on the left ? seems like that day with 3 Carnival ships that

Princess would be the odd ship out - which might not be a bad thing ...

17 minutes ago, famski740 said:

Pancho's Backyard is completely on the other side of the city across from the airport.

You would have to leave the dockside shopping area and go left on Carretera Costera Sur for approximately 0.9 of a mile

There is a Pacho's inside the port area where the Princess and Carnival ships dock. 

IMG_3860.JPG

Edited by idahospud

2 minutes ago, idahospud said:

There is a Pacho's inside the port area where the Princess and Carnival ships dock. 

IMG_3860.JPG

correct - we like to sit at the tables out in the sand under the Palm trees .. a beer and a mojito ... ahhhhhhh

There are 3 docks in Cozumel with the one in town being called Punta Langosta and that’s in San Miguel.  International Pier is another one and is close to Puerto Maya which is the docks that Princess and Carnival uses.  

There is a Pancho’s backyard in downtown San Miguel which has a really lovely courtyard.  That one is at the end of town and close to the airport.  A short walk from the Punta Langosta pier. 

Then there is another Pancho’s right inside the port area at Puerta Maya.  Have to say that I love the staff here.

47 minutes ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

Doesn’t Princess use the Puerta Maya dock all the time in Cozumel?  Carnival is there as well.  . . .

That's where we docked in Jan 2017.  A shopper's paradise, I guess (I only buy souvenirs for the grandkids).  You have to walk through a shopping area on the pier as I remember.

2 minutes ago, BarbinMich said:

That's where we docked in Jan 2017.  A shopper's paradise, I guess (I only buy souvenirs for the grandkids).  You have to walk through a shopping area on the pier as I remember.

That’s where we have docked 3 times in the last year as well.  

1 hour ago, voljeep said:

how many Carnival/Princess ships were in port that day

In Janauary, I think we may have been 4.  HAL was also at the dock.  I have a picture showing The Regal and the HAL ship and then there was 1 or 2 Carnival ships. 

I'm sorry about the mix-up with Pancho's Backyard.  I only knew of the main location o n the edge of town by the airport and did not know that there was one at the Puerta Maya dock.  I'll have to stop and check this one out when we are there next.

Puerta Maya was built by Carnival Corp for its many ships.  CCL, PCL, HAL and Costa are the usual ships in port.  The port will hold 3 ships at a time (not 4 as previously claimed).  However 3 ships in port with a combined 9000+ pax can make for a very crowded port.  By some strange design, you have to go through the duty free store to enter and leave your ship as well as the many shops on your way to transportation.   The port is located 2.8 miles from the plaza and one can walk there on sidewalks but most take a taxi.  

Fat Tuesdays and Poncho's Backyard are in the port area as well as one other bar Tres Amigos which we always visit.  There is a short pier in the middle of the photo which is used by excursion boats to pick up pax so you do not have to leave the port to board water excursions.  

The pier on the right side of the photo in the posting above is the International pier built by RCL for its ships (RCL and X).  

One early December cruise five or so years ago we were in Cozumel when all of the piers were in use and there were over 20,000 pax on the islands.  Long lines formed at the taxi stand for almost the entire time we were in port.  We elected to walk to the small shopping area across the street from the port and to the port next door used by RCL ships before returning to the ship.  It was a nightmare and hope to never get into that situation again. 

https://www.puertamaya.com/Port-Information.aspx

Edited by satxdiver