Day trips near Anchorage

SteveGT3

My wife and I will be spending 3 days in Anchorage in late May before taking the train to Seward for our cruise to Vancouver. I already have plans for the 1st day in Anchorage (trolley tour and exploring the City) and the 2nd day (flightseeing trip to Denali). For day #3, I am thinking of renting a car  and am looking for places to go and things to see. Any suggestions would be appreciated. If they include transportation and I do not need to rent a car, I would be open to hearing those suggestions also....Thanks!

You can’t go wrong driving south own Turnagain Arm. One of the most scenic drives in the state and there are many things to do in the area. Girdwood/Alyeska, Portage Glacier, Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center. There are many times dall sheep along the cliffs by Windy Point. 

Another great option is driving up to Matanuska Glacier for a trek about 2 hours away.

26 Glacier is out of Whittier. They do offer RT transportation out of Anchorage.

I love Seward. I would try to get a reservation for a hotel for the last night in Seward instead of Anchorage and spend an extra day there. So much to see and do.

I would take the train to Seward. 

Edited by Coral

19 hours ago, Coral said:

26 Glacier is out of Whittier. They do offer RT transportation out of Anchorage.

I love Seward. I would try to get a reservation for a hotel for the last night in Seward instead of Anchorage and spend an extra day there. So much to see and do.

I would take the train to Seward. 

I agree with Coral's suggestion to book your last night in Seward and take the early train from Anchorage to Seward, then do one of the Kenai Fjord cruises (we loved ours with Major Marine). Then you can relax overnight and maybe visit the Alaska Sealife Center in the morning before going to the ship.

1 hour ago, Cruise_More_Often said:

I agree with Coral's suggestion to book your last night in Seward and take the early train from Anchorage to Seward, then do one of the Kenai Fjord cruises (we loved ours with Major Marine). Then you can relax overnight and maybe visit the Alaska Sealife Center in the morning before going to the ship.

Plus Exit glacier. I would easily spend more time in Seward than Anchorage! And the train ride here is amazing.