Nieuw Statendam High Tea

kaiiak

For those of you recently on the Nieuw Statendam do you know which days they offered High Tea service? Do they still offer a daily tea as well? That is one of my favorite parts of cruising so I want to plan my itinerary around it! Thanks in advance!

8 hours ago, kaiiak said:

For those of you recently on the Nieuw Statendam do you know which days they offered High Tea service? Do they still offer a daily tea as well? That is one of my favorite parts of cruising so I want to plan my itinerary around it! Thanks in advance!

Since you love High Tea, I highly recommend Cunard.  They do High Tea every day in the Queen's Room, with white gloved servers and a harpist/string quartet.  It's fantastic and it's done every single day at 4pm.  Very, very civilized.  

7 hours ago, eroller said:

Since you love High Tea, I highly recommend Cunard.  They do High Tea every day in the Queen's Room, with white gloved servers and a harpist/string quartet.  It's fantastic and it's done every single day at 4pm.  Very, very civilized.  

On Royal Princess, a Royal High Tea was offered at $10/person, more with Champagne, one afternoon at a venue on the bottom deck of the Piazza with music.  Very elegant, very well done, and worth the additional $10.

• Like 1

Sorry to be a pedant, but "high tea" is not what you're talking about. High tea is not a fancy or formal tea. It's a different meal than afternoon tea. Afternoon tea has sandwiches, sweets, and scones. How formal/fancy (not high or low)  it is depends on how it's served and what's offered. Certainly Cunard's afternoon tea is a proper version, with waiters pouring tea from real teapots. Most cruise lines offer a less "proper" version, at least from my British heritage. A teabag in a cup is not my idea of "proper" tea. And one does definitely NOT drink the tea with the bag still in it. (I scream at the TV when I see the Bigelow commercials with somebody drinking tea and the teabag tag is hanging over the side. Just not the "done thing.") 

High tea is actually a larger meal, with more savoury items, and at least some will be hot. More like a light supper. But the tea should still be brewed and served in a pot!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

But the tea should still be brewed and served in a pot!

This is what I experienced on Royal Princess.  Sandwiches, scones, and sweets were presented with 4 different teas.  I don't recall the exact "title" of the tea.  Maybe Royal Afternoon Tea?   The staff member in charge of the event discussed the tea being served, so it was an educational experience as well as being a very pleasant afternoon.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Sorry to be a pedant, but "high tea" is not what you're talking about. High tea is not a fancy or formal tea. It's a different meal than afternoon tea. Afternoon tea has sandwiches, sweets, and scones. How formal/fancy (not high or low)  it is depends on how it's served and what's offered. Certainly Cunard's afternoon tea is a proper version, with waiters pouring tea from real teapots. Most cruise lines offer a less "proper" version, at least from my British heritage. A teabag in a cup is not my idea of "proper" tea. And one does definitely NOT drink the tea with the bag still in it. (I scream at the TV when I see the Bigelow commercials with somebody drinking tea and the teabag tag is hanging over the side. Just not the "done thing.") 

High tea is actually a larger meal, with more savoury items, and at least some will be hot. More like a light supper. But the tea should still be brewed and served in a pot!

Yes I am aware of the difference between the two, but for CC purposes going with the typical term that many people use here in the US, even if not quite correct. I thought they use to have some sort of Royal Dutch Tea or Afternoon High Tea etc at least once or twice a week. What I was looking for was brewed tea in the pot brought to the table and a tiered tray either delivered to the table or even buffet style. I haven’t cruised in over 10 years but recall doing this in the past on HAL or Princess. I just enjoy the relaxation of it, the yummy sandwiches & watching the sea go by. 

7 hours ago, eroller said:

Someday I’d love to sail Cunard! 

On our Dec. 2017 K cruise, HA offered a "Dance Tea" several afternoons in the Queen's Lounge.  It was lovely, with tiered silver trays, white-gloved servers and teapots on all the tables.  Musicians played mostly ballroom dance tunes.  IMO, it was one of the highlights of that cruise.  We saw nothing even remotely like this on NS this past Christmas.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sevenseasnomad said:

On our Dec. 2017 K cruise, HA offered a "Dance Tea" several afternoons in the Queen's Lounge.  It was lovely, with tiered silver trays, white-gloved servers and teapots on all the tables.  Musicians played mostly ballroom dance tunes.  IMO, it was one of the highlights of that cruise.  We saw nothing even remotely like this on NS this past Christmas.

Sounds lovely!! When you were on the NS during Christmas did you ever attend the daily tea?

1 minute ago, kaiiak said:

Sounds lovely!! When you were on the NS during Christmas did you ever attend the daily tea?

Except for embarkation day, Dec. 23, it was held each day in the MDR.  No, we didn't attend because we were either busy doing something else or were on an excursion.  The daily program simply stated Daily Tea-Main Dining Room.  I have no idea what they offered.  Would we have made time for it had it been held as a Tea Dance in the Queen's Lounge again?  Most definitely, we would have tried to go at least one time.  As I recall they only offered this type of tea twice during that cruise, on the sea days.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sevenseasnomad said:

Except for embarkation day, Dec. 23, it was held each day in the MDR.  No, we didn't attend because we were either busy doing something else or were on an excursion.  The daily program simply stated Daily Tea-Main Dining Room.  I have no idea what they offered.  Would we have made time for it had it been held as a Tea Dance in the Queen's Lounge again?  Most definitely, we would have tried to go at least one time.  As I recall they only offered this type of tea twice during that cruise, on the sea days.

Thanks for the info! 

Just now, Alberta Quilter said:

I'm sorry, we never got to a tea on this cruise.  I only saw it in the program.  As we disembark tomorrow, I can't find out for you.

No problem! Hope you had a wonderful trip.