Carnival has changed the tradition of cruising

Cruisegoer

3 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

While not sure anything goes, it certainly is more casual (wish it were not so much, but JMHO).   Now this appears cross industry, not just Carnival.  

2 hours ago, Joebucks said:

You can continue to push your own narrative and ignore the world around you all you want. Whether you want to blame it on laziness, cutbacks, who knows. The world is becoming more casual. Families no longer dress up every Sunday and to go to church together (if they even go at all anymore). Heck, even workplaces have become more casual. There are many more instances of this because society has changed it "tradition".

You'd be surprised that many people find this setting pretentious. Being relaxed and casual is actually preferable to a lot of people vs "look at me". That is no longer "the entertainment". If you crave that, go find it elsewhere

What narrative and when did this become a dress code thread? Reality is, there is no longer a dress code and it’s just another way Carnival changed the tradition of cruising. Does anyone need a reminder of the chain mail dress?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

What narrative and when did this become a dress code thread? Reality is, there is no longer a dress code and it’s just another way Carnival changed the tradition of cruising. Does anyone need a reminder of the chain mail dress?

LOL, I do not think that would stay up here very long.....

• Like 1

19 hours ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

.We think all of the new things offered on the ships far outweigh anything that has gone the way of the dinosaurs. In the "good old days" of cruising, there was: no specialty restaurants, no quick food options (Guy's, Blue Iguana, Pizza, etc.), no big-screen movies under the stars, no thermal spa suite, no YTD, no balcony cabins (or very few and very expensive), no multiple comedy shows, no almost 24/7 activities...I could go on and on.

18 hours ago, RoperDK said:

I totally agree. We've cruised on Carnival (and other lines) for 20 years.  The only thing I really miss is better food quality.  That is true for all cruise lines.  I wish they could kick things up a notch.  Wouldn't want to go back to the structured, formal days to get it though.   

In general, things that are important to me are getting better BUT there does seem to be a correlation between more fee (specialty) restaurants and a decline in the MDR . They do seem to have lowered the quality of both the food and  service while increasing extra $ options where you can pay for better food and especially service . I don't love this but understand it and agree with Roper that this is true for all mass market cruise lines . 

Edited by richstowe
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, blarko said:

I do, apparently, because I have no clue what that is?

Those of us who been around a while might remember.  There was a thread based on cruiser attire.  Someone here (at least back then) posted a pic from a charter (clothing optional I believe) of a couple for one of the formal nights of a woman in a chain link dress that left ..... um not much to the imagination.   Oh...I think my friend really meant chain link...not chain mail.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, richstowe said:

In general, things that are important to me are getting better BUT there does seem to be a correlation between more fee (specialty) restaurants and a decline in the MDR . They do seem to have lowered the quality of both the food and  service while increasing extra $ options where you can pay for better food and especially service . I don't love this but understand it and agree with Roper that this is true for all mass market cruise lines . 

Interesting idea, not sure if they are related or not.......

11 hours ago, xDisconnections said:

There's a lot of complaints about Carnival not enforcing it's MDR dress code, both on casual & elegant nights, but I think it's safe to say that a vast majority of cruisers do follow the dress code. Yeah, it's much less formal now, especially elegant nights, but there's still a dress code to be had and most people go along with it. If someone considers their meal to be negatively affected just because they saw someone else not wearing proper MDR attire, then that's their problem.